Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Moderators, a discussion.

+15
Antistia
Magaskawee/Anaei
Wubeh
Gunnell
Raelan
Cathee Norris
Arador
Nayan
Ataris
Jakins
Jayse
Kozgugore Feraleye
Mordazan
Shrogan
Gogol
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Moderators, a discussion. Empty Moderators, a discussion.

Post by Gogol Wed May 19, 2010 11:27 am

Let's it just be know I wouldent have been botherd with this, if it wasn't for the fact I made a reply to The Voice new thread;
"Tick, Tock goes the Fanatic Clock".

In wich post no.2 said: "Now there exists no doubt, Anaei/Saihna."
Rude?

Moderator comes in with post no.3: "(( Whether it is one of the two or not, this is an IC area. I don't know who it is, and it doesn't affect me in any way, but I'm starting to get tired of constantly seeing people focusing ooc'ly on who is behind the Voice, instead of ignoring it and taking it ICly, tbh. This is not aimed at Imanuel, but to everyone that has, does, will reply in such a manner. It's not hard to make a thread in the Game-related area and discuss it, instead of derailing every single IC post here. I will remove any following ooc replies revolving on that matter, consider it a warning. ))"

I make my reply, wich gets deleted a few secounds after.
Gogol: *smokes a cigar*
((In all honestly isn't all forum 'RP' OOC? Sure I can agree to a letter, or even a nice poster like this one made by the eluding Voice.
But now we cant make OOC replies to them anymore? Because a moderator now says so.
I did'n see anything offencive in guessing who this 'The Voice'-person is? The Moderator surley thought so.
If it's racist, offensive, insulting or in any other way deemed wrong, go ahead and do you'r job and moderate.
But let's stop this friggin holding hands mentality?

Moderators, a discussion. Holding-hands
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Moderators, a discussion. Empty Re: Moderators, a discussion.

Post by Shrogan Wed May 19, 2010 11:51 am

I'm the cat, you're the dog. Although sillyness asides, you shouldn't be able to just ban OOC replies from a topic like that. If an anonymous person on the forums (even if ICly) spreads slander (even if it is based on facts), it is only natural that people wonder who it can be, and want to pinpoint the source of it. Removing posts and cocntent over such silly comments is just... silly, actually. But heh, two cents!

Shrogan

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordazan Wed May 19, 2010 12:10 pm

In my humble oppinion, it is not the moderators job to dictate what can and what cannot be said on the boards.

They should rule in accordance with the rules posted for the boards. Just like it is done IRL.
Whoever did this serioiusly overstepped his/her rights in my oppinion.

If each and every mod has the right to decide wether something is relevant or not and can delete as they please, the posts made on these boards will be highly one sided and biased.

In short: Create rules and enforce them. Nothing more. Nothing less.

If a mod speaks, it should be clear wether they are talking as mods or as players. A player can say "I'm annoyed by this-and-this" but a mod can actually enforce ones will, which carries a responsability, objectivity etc.
If the mods freely rule what is appropriate and what is not, then these boards will only hold posts in accordance with their wishes, which kinda defeats the purpose.
Mordazan
Mordazan

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Wed May 19, 2010 12:13 pm

I'm not sure who made that post, but I think whatever mod posted that, aimed to do that with the intention of preventing the IC topics from derailing into OOC discussions. If this is the case, then I reckon there ought to be no problem with having an OOC discussion about it in the game related forums. This may just be me misinterpreting things however, as I'm not fully up to date with the whole Voice thing.

Also. Ewwww, furries.
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

http://www.orcsoftheredblade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayse Wed May 19, 2010 12:18 pm

Agreed with Shorgan, Mordazan and Gogol. Nothing more needs to be added I feel, all that's been said has been.
Jayse
Jayse

Character sheet
Name: Jayse Ravenwest
Title: International Man of Mystery

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakins Wed May 19, 2010 12:59 pm

I can add something.

Treating the topic like that is incredibly freedom suppressing; this forum isn't China, you know.

If people aren't allowed to discuss things after an IC post has been made, it doesn't mean the thread HAS to be a full-blown RP, does it? If this Voice of the People is such a threat to people's 'tempers', if a topic is just going to derail into slander and fighting, then just remove the account.

Then again, I'm Horde and don't understand these Alliance problems. I'd rather the thread didn't turn into a suppressed opinion forum though.

If I wanted a forum like that...on second thought, I don't want a forum like that.

If a mod deletes this thread then it'll be a step too far and we can hereby declare the forum is China.
Jakins
Jakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Wed May 19, 2010 1:13 pm

I see and share your concern.
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet
Name: Ataris the Soulblighter
Title: Darkmaster of the Dark Sphere

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Wed May 19, 2010 1:59 pm

Kozgugore Feraleye wrote:I'm not sure who made that post, but I think whatever mod posted that, aimed to do that with the intention of preventing the IC topics from derailing into OOC discussions. If this is the case, then I reckon there ought to be no problem with having an OOC discussion about it in the game related forums.
^ that.

Every time there is an IC thread by the Voice, it ends up either in a flamewar or/and in a rewinding discussion about who is the voice and who's "interests" it promotes and blahblah. And preventing that, in a section that is tagged "IC", is exactly the aim of my post.

The order of posts?
1. IC post by the Voice.
2. Out-of-topic response about who is the Voice (for the n-th time in similar threads)
3. Moderator post (do note: without even touching the previous post) to avoid derailing once again, and a warning that further derailing will be removed.
4. Further derailing, in direct defiance of the instruction given, including demeaning comments towards the moderator, who "dared" not attack the Voice.

Interestingly enough, I didn't see any actual thread in the Game Related section, which would be the "normal" outcome if the interest shown was benevolent. Conclusions are yours.

I stand by my decision 100%. It is not "censoring" or whatever else you wish to tag it as, but pure moderating.

PS: This is the first time I bother explaining a logic sequence. It will be the last too.

PPS: I like it how your "transfer" of the deleted post is less personal and more objective. Sadly, I haven't deleted it.
Gogol wrote:*Smokes a cigar*
((Dear moderator Nayan, isn't in fact everything on a forum- and not in game OOC? I'd agree on a letter, or even a poster like this one being IC, but the replies to it?
You now saying there cant be no more OOC replies to IC posts, because you now say so?
Can we no longer have a discusion about things? If it's racists, insulting or in some other way wrong, sure moderate it.
However here guessing who this fantastic Voice person is?

Give it a break with the hand holding.
Moderators, a discussion. Holding-hands
Not an entirely different post, no. But phrased differently enough to consist a personal attack on top of ignoring the warning in the moderating post Smile
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet
Name: Nayan of the Frostmanes
Title: Primal of Bethekk

http://s1.zetaboards.com/Heritage/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordazan Wed May 19, 2010 2:10 pm

But Nayan, it is not stated in the rules that a Mod is free to just throw in a warning and them mod happily away after that.
You cencor something based 100% on your personal, subjective oppinion and perception of things.

The rules does not state that mods can simply moderate as they please - and as such, they shouldn't do so.

Other than that, I think there are quite a few fine posts up there, and I highly encurage the mods to read this without seeing it as an assault upon their work - people appriciate what you do, but they also try to guide you towards what is best.

I'm glad Ataris seems to take in the critique and work with it.
Mordazan
Mordazan

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Wed May 19, 2010 2:17 pm

constantly seeing people focusing ooc'ly on who is behind the Voice
It's not hard to make a thread in the Game-related area and discuss it, instead of derailing every single IC post here.
I will remove any following ooc replies revolving on that matter, consider it a warning.
I clearly state my aim, there. What I get in response "You cencor something based 100% on your personal, subjective oppinion and perception of things". That is the definition of a false accusation, along with that cocky "Give it a break with the hand holding" in regards to a user I don't even know who it is, tbh. If anything, the one accused here should not be me.

Other than that, it certainly isn't the first time certain people seem to think they can ignore moderation according to their interests. Do you deny that?

Do tell, why would it be hard to make a thread in the General forums, discussing "who the Voice is", if it's such a community concern, instead of constantly derailing those threads? In that thread, you speak of "the frustration of people towards the lies spread". It's called "propaganda". People cheer on it, when it's written by someone they know, in realm forums. Ask Antistia (who is doing a fantastic job with it too, may I add). They are both twisting truths to "promote" ICly their interests. The difference is that the person behind user1, user2, etc. knows who the person behind the propaganda is (Antistia). And here they don't. And that itches them. Which does not belong in the IC area, as it never failed to lead to flamewars. Scroll down and read other threads, to see. And, speaking of frustration, did it occur to you that person might also be frustrated in putting down effort to write that IC propaganda and constantly seeing his/her threads derailed by ooc gossip and flamewars?
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Wed May 19, 2010 2:24 pm

I hadent saved my post,I figured the *smoking a cigar* would have been IC enough to get scramed in there, but apperntly it was deemed as not IC(who is the judge of that anyway?), and got deleted, re-wrote it by memory. Why it might not be word-by-word.
Personal attack? In that thread I was discussing(at least trying to), directly with you.
In this one I wanted to get a discussions going about moderators.

You dont have to make this personal.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Wed May 19, 2010 2:26 pm

Give it a break with the hand holding.
You outright accuse me personally of doing something I am not. That's no "discussion" Smile
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Wed May 19, 2010 2:29 pm

No, that is a feeling I'v had that maney of the moderators of this forum been "doing" for some time now, thus aimed at all the moderators. You as well.

Put some valid things in here now, please.
What I reckon will happen is that the Moderators should sit down and lay out some rules they can moderate after. That would at least been adviced to do.

Thus in the future avoiding things like this.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Arador Wed May 19, 2010 2:49 pm

All this bashing around is giving me itch in places where I don´t want it. So let´s follow Mr. Communist´s advice and let´s keep the OOC and the IC apart. Else I´ll have to start being mean to people.

And you don´t want that.
Arador
Arador

Character sheet
Name: Elegost 'The Lionheart' Dawnweaver
Title: Lord-Commander of Arathor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Wed May 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Gogol wrote:What I reckon will happen is that the Moderators should sit down and lay out some rules they can moderate after. That would at least been adviced to do.

This is being worked on as we speak. I have simply yet to finish it all and post it for discussion with the Moderators.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raelan Wed May 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Or don't give mod rights to power addicted people who get a kick out of it,

just an idea.

Last edited by Relithien on Wed May 19, 2010 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Raelan
Raelan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordazan Wed May 19, 2010 3:06 pm

Nayan wrote:
I clearly state my aim, there. What I get in response "You cencor something based 100% on your personal, subjective oppinion and perception of things". That is the definition of a false accusation,

If you really wanna pull rethoric ... on me, I'll spell it out as clearly as I can:

Not in accordance with the RULES

No offense intented towards Nayan, nor any other mod or admin of these boards. My point remains the same, work in accordance with the rules, not anything else (which is, from my perspective, a subjective assessment, I appologize if that might not be the case).
Mordazan
Mordazan

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakins Wed May 19, 2010 4:30 pm

Arador wrote:All this bashing around is giving me itch in places where I don´t want it. So let´s follow Mr. Communist´s advice and let´s keep the OOC and the IC apart. Else I´ll have to start being mean to people.

And you don´t want that.

Wait wait wait.

You called Nayan a communist!
Jakins
Jakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunnell Wed May 19, 2010 5:44 pm

Relithien wrote:Or don't give mod rights to power addicted people who get a kick out of it,

just an idea.

I like the way you think.

Here, hold this:

Moderators, a discussion. 1187430-flameshield_super

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 19, 2010 9:56 pm

You all suck. Everybody wins. Or loses, depends on your POV.

Talking about POV... Nah, that shit is NSFW.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wubeh Thu May 20, 2010 11:33 am

Hurray for posting alts.

What happend to "Register in your characters name" jazz? Fuck that, we got posting alts.

We are now on the same level as the official blizzard forums, fantastic.

Last edited by Wubeh on Thu May 20, 2010 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Wubeh
Wubeh

Back to top Go down

Post by Magaskawee/Anaei Thu May 20, 2010 11:38 am

Isn't this one of those times where, just like a monarchy we all have -no- say in this?

Didn't the current moderators come together to start the forum? Technically making it theres? And we are 'guests' here? I'm not defending all the unjust viva la revoltuion post deletion but we are making these threads as if we are going to -elect- moderators.
Magaskawee/Anaei
Magaskawee/Anaei

Character sheet
Name: Magaskawee Grimtotem
Title: Elder Crone of the Banner of the Bloodhoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Nayan Thu May 20, 2010 11:41 am

I'm as much of a guest here as you all are. I just do the dishes as well.
Nayan
Nayan

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ataris Thu May 20, 2010 11:45 am

Anaei/Vezullia wrote:Isn't this one of those times where, just like a monarchy we all have -no- say in this?

Didn't the current moderators come together to start the forum? Technically making it theres? And we are 'guests' here? I'm not defending all the unjust viva la revoltuion post deletion but we are making these threads as if we are going to -elect- moderators.

I don't think that's the point. The point is more that this is a channel for all users' opinions as well as information and if infromation is censored or altered too much it becomes irrelevant, since it ceases to be a channel for information and instead one of the moderators' opinions.

I'm not saying that's the case here and I want everyone to keep in mind we're all human. I do see some users' concern in this case.

In this case I don't see how Nayan did anything drastically wrong. He did post a warning, though maybe deleting it might've been a bit harsh. I still don't see any great injustice done in this particular case.

Everyone makes mistakes. We don't all agree 100% with each other, we do have differing opinions.

Which is why it'd be GREAT if we could set up a specific ruleset sometime in the future. Wink
Ataris
Ataris

Character sheet
Name: Ataris the Soulblighter
Title: Darkmaster of the Dark Sphere

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Thu May 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Wubeh wrote:Hurray for posting alts.

What happend to "Register in your characters name" jazz? Fuck that, we got posting alts.

We are now on the same level as the official blizzard forums, fantastic.

My greatest beef at the moment, the fact that people are once again hiding behind posting alts.

Problem is not that I dislike the Voice, I quite like the concept, but I hate the precedent it sets, the moderators are now obliged to allow anyone with much the same reason as the Voice to create an alt. It's a minor trickle at first, a little bit of water comes through but in the end this allows for the floodgates to be opened and for it all to go wrong.
I cannot see why someone would have to hide behind a posting alt either, what's the point? You're not going to flame people as your other account will be punished as well (I sure as hell hope so) and for those saying "It's IC!" Well; "There is no need to create an extra account with a different name to fulfill this, simply sign off the poster or whatever with an IC nickname instead of your character's real name, after all, it's all IC is it not?"
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next