Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Darkness: Chapter 5 - Stranger

Go down

Darkness: Chapter 5 - Stranger Empty Darkness: Chapter 5 - Stranger

Post by Krogon Devilstep Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:50 pm

Darkness: Chapter 5 - Stranger Attraction-to-the-darkness

“Trust is like money, hard to earn but easy to lose.”Goblin Proverb

Darkness: Chapter 5 – Stranger

His heart skipped a beat.

“well don’t wait around, climb on up.” The voice continued, resonating from a perch above him. Krogon tightened his grip on the rock at either side, his back against its cold surface as he gazed up into nothing. The voice had been firm, but not threatening, holding no hint of malice or deceit. Only simple, matter of fact advice.

Don’t trust it, don’t trust it. Down here there can be no mistakes.

He breathed out, having only just realized he’d been holding in air, boiling inside him until it was ragged and hot. Licking his lips, he turned and placed his body so his chest compressed against the moist, cold stone.

What are you doing? You know you shouldn’t!

But he did. Raising his left arm, then his right, he searched and found purchase, lifting himself as his bare feet found simple footing to move upward. Moving inch by inch with every cautious grasp and pull, ensuring what he held onto was secure, he eventually placed both his hands on the lip of a sharp rocky ledge. He dangled there, spirits only know how high up in this dark. He paused, breathing in, tense as he decided if to continue or not.

This is a bad idea.

Below, behind and faintly all around he could hear the muffled sound of the ‘monsters’ as their feast continued, worse still laws the stench. The whole place stank of excrement, aged and inter mingled with fetid hints of urine and degrading meat. His stomach turned but gave him resolve enough to act. He was not safe down there, not right now anyway.

But what other choice Do I have?

With a sharp inward breath he pulled on his arms and scrambled onto the flat rocky ledge. He could not guess how far it spanned left or right, or how far it reached out ahead of him. All he knew was, someone was there with him.

He’s watching. Or Listening.

He swallowed unsubtly, his throat dry as he spoke simply, “I am here.”

”Took your time. Be a spot ahead of you four arm lengths off, to sit and be comfortable. They won’t come up here for you, so you can calm yourself stranger. He stated, simply. It was a fact, or at least to him. The haggard voice came from his right, close, but out of arms reach.

Slowly, go slowly.

Krogon narrowed his eyes and without thought or characteristic suspicion moved forward. Sure as anything he found the back of a small ‘mouth’ in the cave wall, and placed his back against it to look out into nothingness. His mind raced with questions while his sense took in the sounds and nuances of this place, where to begin, If at all?

Cautious what you reveal of yourself to him, let him do all the talking.

”No pussy footing around, shrimp. It’s dangerous down here, far safer to work in pairs for mutual protection. I don’t have to like you...

That’s blunt.

”...and I don’t need you to like me. Welcome to hell.” It finished. His voice had come from some short distance to his left now. Judging by his tones and accent, he gathered him for an Orc, definitely. Orc’s picked up on how their own fangs and tusks altered their speech better than other races. This one’s were large, and caused him to speak with his throat more than his jaw. Judging by the distance, and how he sounded marred, he was probably facing away, looking out or even listening over the ledge.

Hell, Apt if nothing else

Doubt rolled through the mind of the Blademaster. Perhaps this one had been down here too long; desperation can do strange things to an Orc. While he continued to take in the details of his surroundings, feeling the rock at his back and sides with his hands for certainty, he also considered his questions...

His name? Where is this place? Is there a way out? So many things...

”What Do I call you?” He felt himself ask, without forcing the thought to cause it.

”Vrex, Stranger. Call me Vrex. Rest for now, we will talk when you have adjusted better.” And with that he fell silent.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down