Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

An apology for saying m***oloid

+14
Amaryl
Sabien
Buren
Cid
Raenmar
Coppersocket
Thelos
Raene
Sullee Swiftspeech
Flo
Helmut
Zalissa
Vaell
Shaelyssa
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

An apology for saying m***oloid - Page 2 Empty Re: An apology for saying m***oloid

Post by Grufftoof Thu May 23, 2013 9:14 am

Sabien wrote:Mongol is a south east asian race of tribesmen known for their horsemanship.
oid means resembling ergo mongoloid is "resembling a mongol"

Downs Syndrome sufferers were called this because their characteristics resembled the mongol face. ie flatter than european and with keener incisor teeth.

Dunno why all the fuss. its no insult surely to be compared to either.

It was used as a descriptive term (medically/scientifically) because of the percieved "similarities in facial structure". But it has for many years (40? maybe more?) been seen simply as an insult, and is pejorative (especially when shortened to "mong", a la Ricky Gervais...).

The fuss is because it's a shitty term. And it's well known to be a shitty term. Like calling someone a "spaz" or "spacker" (from "spastic"), but generally seen as worse.

It was also used as an insult by Raenmar. The intent was to insult. Whether the knowledge of the word's meaning was full and correct, I do not know. However, if it wasn't, then I'd suggest checking what a word means before bandying it around as a catch all insult.

I, for one, have never much liked the word "retard" (again an insult regarding perceived intelligence and mental health) as a catch all for people being stupid. Call them stupid. Or maybe even twats. Most people acting that way are one or the other.

The thread didn't need to be made. Because the original thread with the insult in shouldn't have been made. Stop posting bloody stupid threads and equally stupid replies. You twats.

(Apology accepted, thread locked. The next time you're about to make a stupid thread, Preview it, then delete it and don't bother. Ta.)
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2