Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Greedy needy Rolaplayers.

+27
Ledgic
Cid
Grufftoof
Solanum
oricol
Helmut
Lexgrad
Sohan
Sullee Swiftspeech
erwtenpeller
Muzjhath
Cathee Norris
Arabella Greene
Buren
Khendran
Drustai
Amaryl
Thelos
Sorayah
Vaell
Xen-tau
siegmund
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Raene
Raenmar
Sabien
Littlepip
31 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Greedy needy Rolaplayers. Empty Greedy needy Rolaplayers.

Post by Littlepip Mon May 13, 2013 6:44 am

You know when your walking trough the city and you may or may not notice a beggar sitting in the sidewalk with a cup in front of him? Would you give him a coin or would you just ignore him?

End with questions. When I started roleplaying (And this might not go for everyone) I were what people call shy, I wanted to roleplay but had no friends to help me out on the beginning thus leading to me sitting the corner of the pig and whistle, reading what others said.

When or if you see someone doing the same and it looks like a Roleplayer I advice on walking up to him and start talking to him, the person sitting right there could be the best Rolaplayer or book writer in the world, he just need a little push in the back towards the right direction. Start involving others into your talk and be friendly to them.

Now I'm not saying that you should run into the Auction house and start talking with people there because that would be totally ridiculous..

Now.. Gime your thought folks! Very Happy
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Greedy needy Rolaplayers. Empty Re: Greedy needy Rolaplayers.

Post by Sabien Mon May 13, 2013 7:24 am

Totally agree, however easier said than done. I tried this in the pig when I first moved to DB, was ignored at best and rage whispered to fuck off or go on collective ignore by someone who probably thought I was trying to take their spotlight. But yes this should happen.

Why do some RP'ers feel threatened by new blood?
Sabien
Sabien

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 am

I tried this in the pig when I first moved to DB, was ignored at best and rage whispered to fuck off or go on collective ignore by someone who probably thought I was trying to take their spotlight.

It's always really intimidating to get involved in RP, but I think stuff like this is exaggerated a lot. I've personally never seen it happen, and I don't see why anyone would ask you to fuck off for trying to join RP.

But on topic, it'd be really nice if people did. But it depends on their character. If their character wouldn't do it, then they shouldn't change their character just for that purpose.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sabien Mon May 13, 2013 7:43 am

believe me it happened. I could name names but I'm not really that bothered now. I quit playing allyside. Their issue appearred to be that I was ignoring "their rules" which brings it nicely to another point, how is a new player supposed to know and therefore abide (or not) by the said rules? A polite whisper directing them to a relevant thread on a forum perhaps?
Sabien
Sabien

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Mon May 13, 2013 8:10 am

I find a good imagination is key to any RP.

I can have my characters strike up a conversation with just about anyone in an instant so long as they talk back so I don't mind often going after the more silent ones, and often do so.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Mon May 13, 2013 8:16 am

I find the easisest way to deterimin if some one is a rper or even a new rper when I aint sure, is by simply wispering them.
If determined they are looking for Rp I simply interact with them in a way my toon would do so in the given situation.

Its important to take time for new rpers. This aint AD were there is quantity and very little quality. Defias is known for the quality. IF we all want people to start rping on Defias there are 2 simple things that must be done. Making new people feel welcomed oocly and to interact with them icly when we can.

A lot of times many of us are caught up in intence senarios in our rp and do forget to interact with others around us. I myself get caught up at times. A simple /look /grin /smile or a /e with some detail at the new person or whatever can make he or she feel welcomed on the realm.

There is also the scenario where people may think a new rper is just a loler. I have seen this in over a hundred cases in the past 3 years. With a simple wisper I would find out if they were new and willing to learn how to Rp properly. Then I would begin helping them start Rp through wispers giving simple starter pointers. Id find a RP guild for their taste of rp and help them join so they can learn the ropes.

If we all take a few moments to make people feel welcome and help new rpers, Defias rp will go up while maintaining its quality.
IF we dont there are two possibilities.
1. the population dosnt go up.

2. it becomes huge but full of people who dont know how to RP properly.

Why is AD such crap? Because people have given up on tryign to teach proper rp. There the numbers are so big that rarley people will care to determin a new person from a loler.

Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon May 13, 2013 8:17 am

Well i know i sometimes see people walk up to like a group already and i do try to somehow include them, heck once was on Sieg talking to recruits before a council and ended up giving a random gnome a half drunk whiskey bottle.

It's not always so easy though, sometimes your char is not really the type, it usually works best if both are new or you got a somewhat good or at least a stupid reason to convserse with a total random person on the street.

Well, rules... What kind of rules anyhow? Usually i think what bars had issues in the past was that someone kind of "Has" them, or works in them or whatever you call it. And of course someone new is going to walk around not knowing any rules like "Hey this is a restricted area, only staff." 'course sometimes these things don't fully work out great people ignoring too fast.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon May 13, 2013 8:29 am

I heard that on AD gnomes can sometimes eat screws and bolts..
And back to the facts again!

I agreed with Dorothee, whispering someone IC and helping them OOC is also a great way to do things, all thought it is always nice to have a stranger walking up to you and give you a mug of mead.. Or rum if you prefer that.
I won't give away whiskey because that is disgusting. :<

Raene wrote:I find a good imagination is key to any RP.

True, true.

Last edited by Thorvald on Mon May 13, 2013 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Xen-tau Mon May 13, 2013 8:31 am

I agree, but just out of curiousity... How would you react if said roleplayer didn't have their background lorechecked? "Let's go kill the dwarves!" "Uch, we are the dwarves!" "Oh...", or "I am a true follower of warchief Thrall" for example.

Because that's usually what the fus is all about.
Xen-tau
Xen-tau

Character sheet
Name: Aishling Silversun/Dawncaller
Title: Magistrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon May 13, 2013 8:36 am

Aishling wrote:I agree, but just out of curiousity... How would you react if said roleplayer didn't have their background lorechecked? "Let's go kill the dwarves!" "Uch, we are the dwarves!" "Oh...", or "I am a true follower of warchief Thrall" for example.

Hehe, like I never have never heard that one..

Well just tell them then, not any harder then that.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Mon May 13, 2013 8:59 am

Well just tell them then, not any harder then that.

Not always, some can get offended pretty quickly, sure maybe not at a so simple thing, but at more in depth lore, if i'd be so easy this forum would have like 10% + less posts.

EDIT: Also sometimes i'm way too tired to even RP or PvP hardly more to help someone out in any kind of truble! Yeah sue me i'm lazy.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Mon May 13, 2013 9:14 am

Aishling wrote:I agree, but just out of curiousity... How would you react if said roleplayer didn't have their background lorechecked? "Let's go kill the dwarves!" "Uch, we are the dwarves!" "Oh...", or "I am a true follower of warchief Thrall" for example.

If the fuss is over lore the problem i think is minimal. I personally expain to the person and them give a link to a rp guide or a link to the given lore subject. The other day one of my new members rping an Ebon knight said lets kill some horde. I explained icly and oocly. Lore mistakes are still ic viewed by our toons.. Let me give the example

New rper " Lets kill some horde "
Duvaineth " While under the Ebon Tabard you shall do no such things or Duvaineth will remove your head, do not shame the Ebon Blade!"

Then I explained and told him to re read the guild forims under lore subject ebon blade.

Or another example

new rper " I was freed from the grasp of the lich king yesterday, at the battle of lights hope" ( he had just done the q)
Duvaineth " You seem lost undead knight, years have past since the fall of the Lich king." Duvaineth thinks you are insane"

and ofc id wisper the lore and a link again.

There are always ways getting around an ic situation when a new rper says icly somthing that lore dosnt support. For the sake of rp ur toon can think they are crazy, even if oocly u know they made a lore mistake. I see it as mixing ic and ooc when our toons ignore someone due to honest lore mistakes. ic is ic they can be mentally ill or something in your toons eyes. ( but always wispering them ooc to help them improve)
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Mon May 13, 2013 9:21 am

That's one thing I'll never understand; how the hell can you be shy on a video game?

I mean, I'm not shy IRL but even so, I could never imagine being shy whilst RPing. That just seems extremely alien to me.

The only thing I've found new RPers do is quite the opposite. They usually don't sit back and understand the general opinion - take the CC for example. The hub of the Regiment and a major guard outpost yet you get new RPers just barging their way in, ignoring commands and other people as they explore the cells and upstairs.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sorayah Mon May 13, 2013 9:43 am

Vaell wrote:That's one thing I'll never understand; how the hell can you be shy on a video game?

I mean, I'm not shy IRL but even so, I could never imagine being shy whilst RPing. That just seems extremely alien to me.
Maybe you would understand if you were. Smile I am quite shy irl and at least I feel that does have an effect on my RP at times.
Sorayah
Sorayah

Character sheet
Name: Sorayah Moonseeker
Title: Priestess of the Moon

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon May 13, 2013 10:01 am

I always get the distinct impression that these kind of threads argue only with ghosts.

Nobody in their right minds snub role-players that are new just for the sake of them being new or unknown.

If these players are snubbed, it is almost always for some other reason - and very rarely are they snubbed in the cold fashion oft described in these threads or others.

Who are these ghosts? I've never met one, and have no reason to believe in them.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Mon May 13, 2013 10:06 am

Honestly it's fairly easy to get ignored in RP, simply because you don't fit the picture that people want to have at that moment. But that's okay.

I can't even count the amount of times Djego got ignored by just talking to random people, or inserting himself into situations with his sillyness.

But that's to be expected.

Fun story: I use Djego as a litmus test sometimes. Are people worthy of my "serious" attention? Do they RP with Djego? Yes, then they are!

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Mon May 13, 2013 10:22 am

Sorayah wrote:
Vaell wrote:That's one thing I'll never understand; how the hell can you be shy on a video game?

Maybe you would understand if you were. Smile I am quite shy irl and at least I feel that does have an effect on my RP at times.

This. I'm terribly shy both IRL and on games. The only reason I'm as "public" as I am these days on DB is because I know the majority of the community now and no longer feel like a stranger.

Plus roleplaying an 'in-your-face', self-confident character like Arey helps me get over my own shyness.

Last edited by Drustai on Mon May 13, 2013 10:29 am; edited 2 times in total
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Khendran Mon May 13, 2013 10:22 am

Sorayah wrote:

Seconded. I occasionally lock up if I have to interact with RPers I don't know, just like I do IRL if I have to talk to people I don't know.

I think Amaryl nailed it, usually people don't so much ignore you for being new or having a messed up character background, they ignore you for messing up their plan for RP. Which is a stupid thing to do IC-wise, really, do you also ignore everyone who talks to you IRL if you're having a chat with a friend?

I personally RP with whoever RP's with me, and try to help and give them pointers if needed and/or wanted. Doesn't mean I always enjoy it, but "he wanted to RP with me!" isn't a valid reason to ignore a person in my books.

Live and let live.

Khendran

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Buren Mon May 13, 2013 10:25 am

Is this thread needed? If there isnt a problem involving someone lonely into your RP, you do it. Its as simple as that.

Spread the hate!
Buren
Buren

Character sheet
Name: Buren Agamand
Title: Captain of the Crusade

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Mon May 13, 2013 10:27 am

Buren wrote:Is this thread needed? If there isnt a problem involving someone lonely into your RP, you do it. Its as simple as that.

Seconded.

This is yet another straw-thread where people attempt to define their heroism by fighting villains that don't exist.

Meh.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Arabella Greene Mon May 13, 2013 12:03 pm

Thelos wrote:
Buren wrote:Is this thread needed? If there isnt a problem involving someone lonely into your RP, you do it. Its as simple as that.

Seconded.

This is yet another straw-thread where people attempt to define their heroism by fighting villains that don't exist.

Meh.
I ain't afraid of no ghost
Greedy needy Rolaplayers. Ghostbusters-logo
Arabella Greene
Arabella Greene

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon May 13, 2013 12:15 pm

Have no idea to say after that picture.. Dammit Arabella for your randomness! ;_;

The problem is that pro Roleplayers ignore the people who are new to Rolaplay. (*Cough* noobs.)
Thus, what is the point of inviting people to our server and promoting Roleplay if we don't give them a chance.

We were all new to roleplay once, we remember the feeling. It might have been different from person to person but the feeling remains.. Being new to a subject can be either scary or not, it differs from man to women.
So ignoring them don't help!

That was just dragged out of my ass by the way.. :/
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Arabella Greene Mon May 13, 2013 12:28 pm

Thorvald wrote:The problem is that pro Roleplayers ignore the people who are new to Rolaplay. (*Cough* noobs.)
Thus, what is the point of inviting people to our server and promoting Roleplay if we don't give them a chance.
Sorry to say but I am kind of with Thelos on this one.
I do not believe this actually happens. And if it does it's purely for IC reasons.

For example (this has happened): Arabella was in a rather foul mood and trying to talk to her husband. Suddenly this guy comes up to them and is like "I am so drunk right now, give me a kiss darling." Arabella glared at the man angrily for a moment and told him to "fuck off." This was purely IC.
Now if the person appears to be OOC offended (first I sigh), then I whisper them and explain that it is IC and I try and banter with them to cheer them up.
(Ok I have forgotten my original point).

If I see someone who is a noticibly new RPer I whisper them and introduce them to the ins and outs of the server.
I tend not to help people out IC (because Bella is either being manic, angry or rude).

Anyway back on topic...I think. This problem doesn't exist and if it does, a thread isn't needed. Just find out who supposidly is this foul, foul villian and whisper them about it. (They probably aren't even aware they have done any wrong).

Edit. Also, I found this:
Greedy needy Rolaplayers. 4006241578_3007e90f64
Arabella Greene
Arabella Greene

Character sheet
Name: Arabella Greene
Title: Terrible Role Model.

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Mon May 13, 2013 12:41 pm

If you want to take away a Dandelion forever you need to take away its roots along with the plant.

Point is that it is better to teach every one then just one person at the time.. Get my point?
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Mon May 13, 2013 12:48 pm

I've got to say - this thread seemed like you were bored, wanted a random discussion/some attention. That's just what it seems like.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next