Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should I re-level my characters?

+11
erwtenpeller
Emrys
Coppersocket
Coppernut
Lexgrad
Seranita
Ledgic
siegmund
Sadok
Cemdor
Raene
15 posters

Go down

Should I?

Should I re-level my characters? Vote_lcap28%Should I re-level my characters? Vote_rcap 28% 
[ 5 ]
Should I re-level my characters? Vote_lcap72%Should I re-level my characters? Vote_rcap 72% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 18

Should I re-level my characters? Empty Should I re-level my characters?

Post by Raene Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:20 pm

I left the UK just as MoP came out, and haven't had chance to play it in the past 4 months. In 16 days I'll be coming home but I'm... hesitant.

Most obvious of all, I've got skill fade to deal with. All the knowledge I had is probably outdated, or forgotten, leaving me with three characters that I don't even know how to use.

With the removal of talent points in favour of these talent increments, not only do I have to learn new spells, but also cope with the loss of spells that I may have relied upon.

Some classes and specs have changed the way the character plays. I got a brief glimpse of Warlock Demonology just before I left, and I have no idea where to even begin with Metamorphisis becoming a part of the way the character plays instead of just a damage/defense increase button. I didn't get to check my Druid or Paladin, but that's another 4 specs I may need to re-learn.

The majority of players are now 90 on the server, some if not most have some form of PvP gear to just keep them alive in the PvP server, and how am I going to learn 3 classes and 5 specs again, when the fear of being ganked is twice as high.

The simple solution to all of these problems (for me) is to just re level each one of my characters from the ground up. Learn the classes from scratch, get gold and RP outfits for doing it, and then get three new characters I can play with that can be race changed into whatever future RP character I want (Paladin, Druid, and Warlock).

What do you reckon? Am I being too hasty, or am I justified for wanting to re-learn my classes?
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Should I re-level my characters? Empty Re: Should I re-level my characters?

Post by Cemdor Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:35 pm

If you think you can do it, and it'll be better for you, I can't see why not. Personally though, I wouldn't do it. To be more precise, I wont do it when I start playing again in the future. But that's just because I'm too lazy to level new characters to 90.
Cemdor
Cemdor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sadok Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:51 pm

Some of the changes are quite confounding, yes. Releveling to properly relearn a class can be an option, but I'd firstly urge you to read the Icy Veins leveling guides for each class - it may save you time and give you some confidence.

These guides are aimed at reorientating players, suggesting talents and glyphs, and giving a basic rotation/priority list for the 85-90 leveler. It's far from definitive but I've found them very helpful for classes that have changed heavily.

Here's the warlock one, for instance (with dedicated sections for each spec):
http://www.icy-veins.com/warlock-wow-leveling-guide

Hope that helps a little.
Sadok
Sadok

Character sheet
Name: Sadok Sharptongue
Title: High Blade Thur'ruk

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:31 pm

Most are easy to learn, you just need to get a hang of it. See what the abilities do, check your spellbook, try it on a dummy and with leveling to 90 you should do just fine.

Just for relearning a class i'd not do such. But if that's what you want go ahead.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:39 pm

I think it depends entirely on you as a player and your enjoyment of levelling. I have two paladins because I chose to level a new one (Taoven) after not playing Omanos for a long while. I really got into the class again, so, it may work the same for you.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:05 am

im myself 50/50 torn in this I myself did actualy end up re leveling one of my toons for this reason.. My otheers thankfully did not change... as such I am not going to vote on this as I cannot answer honerably
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:11 am

Until the 25th of Feb, wowpack until Wotlk is 5 euro. You could RAF yourself for 5 quid for a month. I'm thinking of doing that for a few toons on AD as a fail-safe if DB goes kaput.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:32 am

o.o I'm not following Vangrel... What did you just say?
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:40 am

ffs stop being a gowl

Until the 25th of February you can buy Vanilla, TBC & Wotlk for 5 euro. If you do recruit a friend (multi-box) you can level with triple experience for a month on as many characters as you have time for.. Alternatively you can find a person to do that with you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:58 am

Oh, uhm... Hmm...

I'm already multi-boxing as is, so technically £10 to get both accounts on triple XP, and blitz through levels. Saving me time as I level up, and re-learn my classes? Hmm... That's not a bad idea actually.

Hey, anyone want a new account? I'll even throw in Cata and MoP out of generosity.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:00 am

Uh, I'd level 1-80 with you via battletag dungeons if you're interested?

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:04 am

Sure, but is that just general levelling, or do you want one of those accounts?

I mean, if you do want one of those accounts, I really don't mind throwing in Cata/MoP.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:06 am

Oh wait, never mind. A new account would still have to be introduced into the equation and I don't really need another one.

Just multi-box!

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:19 am

Dont, he is creepy.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:51 am

I'm already mutli-boxing on two accounts.

One account has my Pally and my Druid, the other has my Warlock.

If I did get the other accounts for the 3x XP bonus, I would end up with 4 accounts in total, definetly not justified when I've only got 3 characters.

Offer still stands though if anyone would like a spare account that levels fast and allows them to multi-box or return to WoW.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppernut Mon Feb 18, 2013 4:46 am

Raene wrote:
Offer still stands though if anyone would like a spare account that levels fast and allows them to multi-box or return to WoW.

would have to say i be interested
Coppernut
Coppernut

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raene Mon Feb 18, 2013 5:03 am

Fair enough. I'll need;

An e-mail address and password that you would like to use for that account.
The password for the e-mail address (in case I need to confirm anything)
A couple of weeks or so.

I won't benefit from the extra XP from the recruit a friend if I buy you it before I'm home, so if you don't mind waiting, I'll buy it closer to the date I'm home.
Raene
Raene

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coppersocket Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:28 am

I'd say releveling is really not necessary. You can easily learn everything you need today by just looking at a few guides about rotations if you're really unsure.

Looking at your spellbook and keeping an eye on what buffs do what so you know what can be good to chain with another is always good, and it's relatively simple.
Coppersocket
Coppersocket

Character sheet
Name: Mineral Coppersocket
Title: Street Sweeper, Jeweler

Back to top Go down

Post by Emrys Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:11 am

I would advise against re-leveling. Classes are not that difficult to figure out, there is plenty of guides out there and what also helps is that a lot of classes have comparable abilities these days. What you could do is just empty all your keybinds and give them a new place, you will be going through all your abilities on your characters again, thus getting a taste of which ones do what.

What I myself do for example is putting comparable abilities on the same hotkey for all my characters as much as I can to keep it more uniform, an interrupt is ususally positioned on the Z. The main attack I would use the most is usually on the Q, etc etc.

This method may just help in regaining some insight into your characters. Smile
Emrys
Emrys

Character sheet
Name: Emrys Sunwing
Title: Priestess

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 am

You are insane.

Just clear you spell-bars, flip through your spell-book, have a close look at every ability and fill in your spell bars from scratch while standing next to a target dummy to figure out the best placement and rotations. You'll be done in half an hour tops.

Then just start questing into Pandaria. You'll get the feel for it back in no time at all.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gor'Thrak Frosthowl Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:52 am

Eh, it's really not that hard. I dug up my Pala in the start of MoP after having been inactive on it since WotLK and getting used to the new stuff took me tops 15-20 minutes (Setting up bars and the like included). Unless you enjoy leveling from scratch I'd say it's a really exaggerated reaction.
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl

Character sheet
Name: Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Title: The Bloodaxe

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:14 pm

Releveling will seriously give you nothing.
Zero, siltch.

Yes, classes are a bit different. But you don't really -play- your class until max level anyhow. The Gameplay at max is 95% not the same as when leveling. And the gameplay that's most the same? The last 5-10 levels.
So, as long as you actually need to go from 85 up until 90 you're fine. You won't get anything going from 1-85 will give you.

Read a few "update guids" should exist. On what to keep in mind for specific classes. So if you feel that you need research, google it. Use your google-fu and come back enlightened! (Or confused!)

But yeah, unless you think leveling new characters, losing the history of the old ones, will be fun. Like, really really fun. It is grade A stupid.

So, in the end here's my two cents:

If you think you need to play from level 1-90 to learn the game again, you are an idiot and it will give you nothing but a headache. Just use your old characters you will most likely enjoy it more.
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Mon Feb 18, 2013 12:40 pm

The only character class that I'd consider "starting afresh" with is Shaman. They've changed so much (to me at least, as I utterly detest the new totem play) that mine is sat at 85 and has become a bank alt. And I just cannot get my head round them. But then again, I always was a bit unsure about them.

I did delete my DK and relevel (three times, even at 80 once... in Wrath). But that's just because I like the idea of the class, like messing with the fancy abilities, hate the mechanics of Runes and RP. And my lock (because I was stupid). And my hunter. Again, stupid... and I though the new (at the time) focus change needed "learning". It didn't. And I did regret that deletion...

Levelling can be fun though, I actually enjoy it. Up to Northrend, which I tend to despise now. Everything else can be ok. RoF and levelling in dungeons helps. Full herilooms and guild bonuses even more so.
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Elijah Wesley Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:59 pm

Raene wrote:I'm already mutli-boxing on two accounts.

One account has my Pally and my Druid, the other has my Warlock.

If I did get the other accounts for the 3x XP bonus, I would end up with 4 accounts in total, definetly not justified when I've only got 3 characters.

I've multiboxed four characters with RAF in the past month.
Also, you have 40 levels to grant when you're done, so you can buff your level 40 toon to 80.

Regardless, you should just go to Noxxic.com, memorize a rotation, and haul yourself to a training dummy for 10 minutes.
Simples.
Elijah Wesley
Elijah Wesley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down