Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tracing a Dead Man's footsteps

4 posters

Go down

Tracing a Dead Man's footsteps Empty Tracing a Dead Man's footsteps

Post by Guest Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:14 am

A few days back Siegmund asked me in a message whether Dwy left anything behind relating to one of the storylines they both were involved in, after sending a good few IC messages back and forth, we've decided to publish most of it here in order to save precious inbox space, and to let curious people(read stalkers) have a look.

In Character info will be written in italics or quotes, because brackets hurts my sanity.

Lastly, we were not sure whether to place this here or in the Library, hopefully someone will have an opinion on this once we've published some actual content.

Tracing a dead man's footsteps.

Whether it was frustration or curiousity that drove Siegmund to have another look through the sparse remains his predecessor had left behind that night, he couldn't tell. The old priest had picked a mighty inconvenient night to die, though, and with no real explanations. Still, he did not get very much wiser looking through the dead man's office at first...

Sure, there was the tiny scrap of parchment with groceries the priest would have needed had he survived the night, a few books deemed "not interesting" by the guards who'd searched the place during the investigation, as well as a now rotten apple. Everything but that sorry mess had been confiscated as evidence, even the man's bank box, which had only held a small pile of coins and a tiny silver key. The man's will had been less than satisfying too: "Give my love to Rose, won't you mister lawyer." Hardly providing insight in the previous director's mind, and several years old as well.

Other than that, the dimly lit office held an empty bookshelf, a long dead potted flower, a candle, a dustbin and a portrait of a man with a big, bushy mustache. As well as the desk, of course. A fine desk it was, oak perhaps? Siegmund could almost see how a man could want a desk job, looking at it. It even held a tiny rack for quills and ink, in addition to the small drawers. Well oiled and constructed, the drawers didn't even make a sound when he opened them. There were two of them, one a tiny bit longer than the other, by the looks of it... Concluding thusly Siegmund had made his way half way out of the building before the rogue in him reminded him what a false bottom was.

And surely, there it was, a small silver lockbox, full, judging by the weight of the thing. Having the key might have easened Siegmund's work, but like every experienced adventurer would, he knew how to pick a fragile lock: With a blacksmith's hammer. A few minutes later, a triumphant grin on his face, he eyed the contents, document upon document, letters, notes, this had to be it!

Slowly picking one up at random, filled with anticipation, Siegmund prepared to finally get the explanations he needed... And discovered that every single note was coded.

The following few evenings the children in the district near Siegmund's house would learn a multitude of new, colourful profanities, as the inhabitant of said house would yell them in rapid succession.

Back to top Go down

Tracing a Dead Man's footsteps Empty Re: Tracing a Dead Man's footsteps

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:00 am

This writing process will take some time, due to the PMs going a little odd on me, the above post should be only one requiring full reconstruction though.

SIMPLE! So simple!

The first note's coding was easily deciphered using Alexander Radke's old copy of "Easy outdoors survival for dummies" as a key. The whole note deciphered in a matter of hours... Allright, that might not have been all that fast at all.

Be that as it may, the note reads:

Dossier: Blackfur
Background: Worgen, most often seen in his wolf form. With a past in the Defias Brotherhood, as a minor officer of sorts, Blackfur has all the competance needed in an agent. His defias cover blown in our tactical strike in Westfall, he was easily coerced to join my Crusade.
Strengths: Skilled in combat. Flexible in social settings. Strong faith in the revolution.
Weaknesses: Mister Blackfur is the victim of an overly active conscience. Will he be able to infiltrate in accordance with the plan? Uncertain. Would he if he fails divert attention from other infiltrators within the organization? Yes.
Mission: To join anethionian masses and gatherings, slowly working his way towards their core of members. Once this is achieved he will serve as an informant, keeping us one step ahead when dealing with the Abbey. If necessary, he will take part in "Operation: Hostile Takeover" as a sleeper agent.
Other: Even after losing all power and stations with our strike against Moonbrook, Blackfur considers himself a leader of sorts, an Alpha, to a group of misplaced Gilneans. His position in this group could steal attention from where it is needed. Needs to be convinced more thoroughly. Must remember to get in touch after meeting with the Count.

That posted, I believe the next IC post here is up to Siegmund.

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:54 pm

Shocking as it may or not have been to him with his previous knowledge of secret talks regarding Braiden, Siegmund does curriously continue the work as a slow paced hobby. Other more imporant matters ussually taking his time. Mostly the Freelancers light matters of planing and making deals for work and payment or spending time with his wife.

Yet deep thoughts flood the mans mind... He had known of Blackfur, seen him in the open after the expedition in westfall, but not minding it. A lost and broken man should have had his peace. It seems he got it. The worgen passed away some time ago, but it seems secrets remain... Still what will the search yield? They say, curiosity killed the cat.
But frankly speaking, aren't we all
guilty of that?

Fixed it up as well as the PMs did mess things up a tad. My part is done for today.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:47 pm

More work reveals the contents of a coded note about the same size as the last one, similiar in form as well as in contents.

Dossier: Nilda
Background: Shared background with miss Allonia Mirral, alledgedly quite skilled, but reliability questionable.
Strengths: Asumed to posess a highly versatile skillset due to her background, likely to get the benefit of the doubt while undercover just for being a woman,easily underestimated. Strong personal hatred against the Count.
Weaknesses: Personal disagreements with miss Mirral, needs to be recruited to the crusade, or removed from the picture all together, cannot afford to lose two useful assets due to petty conflicts. Possibly got a criminal record.
Status: Yet to be recruited. Has been observed reading the posters I put up. For the recruitment, claim knowledge about her and Allonia's shared past, threaten to reveal these "truths" about her to the authorities. Hint at her being a liability due to her conflicts with mentioned Freelancer officer, convince her that personal safety is at risk if she does not give me a reason not to "remove" the problem. Continue to play on her hatred for the Count.
Mission: To infiltrate the Chapter and become another informant there. Will by my instructions start to play the Chapter up against the Count, after having gained the necessary level of trust. If she succeeds at these tasks, she to be considered for Operation: Hostile Takeover.
Other: Getting this one on our side does not only add an important agent to the crusade, but will also remove a threat against one of my officers, should best be recruited when the others head to the new continent, for the required privacy and time to work. Would indebt Allonia further, tying her closer to the cause.

Back to top Go down

Post by Allonia_Miral Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:10 pm

Ahaha... um.... oh my? xD
Allonia_Miral
Allonia_Miral

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:47 pm

A new day and tt seems that Nasheli, a Freelancer who had been involved in important matters in the north is back in Stormwind. But one thing is suprising, Dwyburn talked to her as well before his demise. Even he had some plans for her, what was this operation? The woman does still feel guilt and feels the need for revenge as it seems.
For now the Freelancers will focus on the matters at hand for what they are, besides the usual fooling around and recent strangely, very akward moments. Yet until something important or very useful is discovered, the spirit of the once great man will just have to watch the story unfold at a slow pace. At least for now...

siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Rashka Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:28 am

Sounds.. Interesting.
Rashka
Rashka

Character sheet
Name: Rashka Facebreaker
Title: Champion of Blood, Champion of the Red Blades, & Former Champion of the Horde.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:25 am

A few shorter notes can be found a little deeper into the pile, the encouragingly short lenght of the separate ones makes deciphering them easy when compared to the first ones. Each of them however makes little sense on their own, one might get the impression they belonged somewhere else entirely, or that the information held in them was yet to be transfered to the neatly organized form of the previous ones.

There seems to be plenty of information among the notes in the box, but finding the relevant pieces might just prove to be challenge, even for an experienced adventurer.

Christopher was right. She was long gone by the time we reached the forward camp's medic tent. Dead. Ended, just like that. The report states she had her "... gut slashed open by sword wielding foe. Death presumed to have followed shortly after the removal of abdominal muscles, bowels, kidneys, liver and spleen by hypovolemia." I can't help but imagine going like that... I hope she passed out quickly. The rest of the squad seems to be expecting me to have some kind of reaction, they knew about us, naturally. Perhaps I should have reacted more by now? Yet, looking into her cold, glazed eyes made me feel nothing but emptiness. I don't cry, for the part of me that would have must have died along with her. I don't scream, for the only person I'd share my emotions with is no more. One thing stands clear to me, however, this is where our troops are needed. We are facing the inhuman cruelty of the walking dead, but how far back can we beat them before our leaders send half our forces to battle fanged ponies in some far off land? The threat against our society, no, against humanity as a whole is here right at our doorstep.

... rhaps related to increase in Death Knight-related crimes in the area? The heart in hand-notes have been found by several bodies, but what do they mean? Was his murder a part of a grander sheme? Meant as a message? A message to who? Personal history with the offenders? Too many questions, I should-

The Captains have come to their senses, we are finally pulling back towards the South and the temporary safety of home. We're already gaining miles on the ghouls, and their humanoid, armoured commanders. The decision was the right one, but even the victory of survival has a sour taste to it. Two days earlier, and Christopher might still have been among us... Not looking forwards to giving his wife and daughter the message.

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:14 pm

Some bacon and eggs, a glass of apple juice serve good for breakfast and reading someones past. His wife looking over trying to catch a glance, but after a while she slumps back into her chair with a sigh. "Trying to read?" He asks her with a smirk "I totaly can read." He passes the note over to see how she does, asking soon what does the first word says. Learning how to read aside, later that evening he'd look at the papers again furrowing his eyebrows at the encoded papers and thinking: "Somehow i know how she feels right now."
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Anivitas Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:49 pm

... rhaps related to increase in Death Knight-related crimes in the area? The heart in hand-notes have been found by several bodies, but what do they mean? Was his murder a part of a grander sheme? Meant as a message? A message to who? Personal history with the offenders? Too many questions, I should-

R.I.P Radke.

Anivitas
Anivitas

Character sheet
Name: The Reaper.
Title: Titleception.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:13 am

I've been really bad at keeping these coming, mostly as the majority of the plans just aren't relevant any longer, with a lot of recent developments, so here is the planned final entry, even if it's premature and leaves most of the story behind this untold.

Deep into the pile of old notes, scribblings, diary entries and grocery lists, you've finally found it. The one note that stands out. Is it the paper that is less torn? Is it the ink that looks fresher? Or is it something else entirely?
It looks just like the others, certainly, and yet... it doesn't, somehow. The smell, the coloring, even the shape of the note itself... This one was meant to be found.

The work deciphering it is nauseatingly slow, and still, word for word, sentence after sentence, the message takes form. It is late night outside by the time this last riddle finally lies solved before you.

To my successor (yes, that means you mister Shadow, who else, really?).

If you're reading this, rest assured, among all my scribblings to myself, you've found the right one, the one meant for another pair of eyes than my own.

I think it's time I admit it, I've misstepped badly more than once during my time as director. Insulting Baron Mistmantle to his face was called for, I still suspect him of foul play in the courthouse, even so, it was a mistake. Perhaps I still wasn't over his inaction during House Dieudonne's last days. Perhaps I'm just a spiteful man, myself. I made several plans for his house's downfall, but if he's still alive and I'm not, fear not, for his own attitude towards the common man will lead him to his grave in due time, and without my name as director of the Freelancers, he might not work as hard against you.

Letting my worries slip during conversation with another man of faith? A young man's mistake. A fool's mistake. Yet I made it. Northshire knows of our failure to retrieve the Power Rod from Ahn'Qiraj, just like they know of our co-operation there with officially sanctioned warlocks or worse.

That thing that happened in Westfall? I believe that one mistake speaks for itself.

I've done many wrongs as a leader, yet I can't make myself regret any of it. Every day I ordered men and women out in the field, every day I had to argue with the explorer's league that we weren't stepping on their toes, every day I witnessed guides and scholars in awe of parts of the landscapes they'd travelled, yes, every day I drew new points onto the old established maps I knew with myself that what we're doing means something. The whole world is mapped already, our investors have argued, yet I know that there are wonders still to be found out there! I know that at on the verge of our vision, mysteries are hiding, yet to be revealed! I know that during the twilight hours, even the emptiest woodlands makes a promise to the onlooker: That if you leave now, you will forever be in doubt, but if you travel them, you will know. What will you know? What will you learn? Well, that's just another part of the mystery.

Perhaps one day we will meet again, for as I write this message, this declaration, this... will, I'm not scared of meeting my end any longer. My death has been coming for a long time, my head is bald and my bones are old, and so many have gone before me. No, I welcome this. Death is the final frontier, the last expedition, the one last adventure any man must parttake in, and by the time you read this, I've already travelled. What awaits me there? I have no idea, but knowing that I know nothing makes me feel like a child at the Darkmoon faire. Perhaps Rose is waiting there for me. It is past time I found out.

But until we meet again, explore the world, mister Shadow! Scale the tall mountains, swim in the deep, blue rivers, sail across the oceans, and make campfires at nigthfall in the dark forest. The world, Siegmund, is wonderful. If you can make even one of your underlings realise that, then it has all been worth it. Whatever plots and plans you may have found amongst my notes, leave them be. My soul rests now, let my work rest with it.

Live well,
Jonah Dwyburn.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down