Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[A] New Alliance Military Guild for All Races - gouging interest

+16
Allandra
Manathon
Thelos
Odgan / Keag
Krogon Devilstep
Coppersocket
Geldar
Frostfeather
Ledgic
Timna
Aadaria-Ioanna
Gogol
Skarain
Raenmar
Aldric Essalus Helmfrid
Melnerag
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

[A] New Alliance Military Guild for All Races - gouging interest - Page 2 Empty Re: [A] New Alliance Military Guild for All Races - gouging interest

Post by Odgan / Keag Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:25 pm

This is the kind of guild I have been looking forward to for a long while, tbh.
When you for example enter Valiance Keep in Borean Tundra you see that the forces there are combined of every Alliance race, in RP well.. I always missed that, sure there been a lot of guilds where racial guilds worked together, but that remains different, sadly.
+ the adventure / dungeon mastered events = awesome!

I be very interested in joining this if / when it takes off.
Odgan / Keag
Odgan / Keag

Character sheet
Name: Ildranor Strongbrew
Title: Mountaineer-Sergeant

Back to top Go down

[A] New Alliance Military Guild for All Races - gouging interest - Page 2 Empty Re: [A] New Alliance Military Guild for All Races - gouging interest

Post by Melnerag Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Awesome, with the ammount of interest I got here&in-game I am going forward with this. Tbh, if only Ildranor was interessted I would still do that because he IS awesome. So expect more details soon, and Guild Launch around monday-wednesday coming week.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:00 pm

Melnerag wrote:Awesome, with the ammount of interest I got here&in-game I am going forward with this. Tbh, if only Ildranor was interessted I would still do that because he IS awesome. So expect more details soon, and Guild Launch around monday-wednesday coming week.

Feel free to pinch all the tenth legion insignia stuff on the heraldry thread if you want it.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:17 pm

I will likely join this guild with one of my remaining draenei to skew the racial balance!
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Manathon Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:25 pm

I got a gnome if you want one. Or rather, I want in on my gnome if you've got room for one!
Manathon
Manathon

Character sheet
Name: Manathon Oakshadow
Title: Druid with beard

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:31 pm

Everything is work-in-progress

A word on leadership.

I don't like important ranks, and feel uncomfortable with everything above Lieutenant. However, there are some things a lieutenant just can't do. The guild will have a direct commanding officer who is an alt of somebody very awesome, said alt will be used occasionally for events and briefings, as a plot-device and to handle Court Martials and commendations.

The guild will start as a -squad- (that means around 5 members), using military rank-names without any claim to the dignity of the rank (as they are paramilitary, not part of the army at start). Before 5.1, you can see the structure like this:

Private - rank&file
Corporal - 2nd in command
Sergeant - leader

After 5.1, if the guild grows to 2-3 (or more) squads there will likely be an update to raise leader to Lieutenant and have sergeances as officers, leaders of independent squads within the guild.

Division into squads is interessting for just RP such as training, musters etc, but also for DMed events. For instance while I handle the general story of a Dungeon Mastered event, individual squad-leaders can handle their squad's combat against mob(s) which allows me to participate in the events and means faster replies, better flow and less frustrating waiting or DM missing your emotes.

Ranks are jobs, they are not given as rewards for good service (so you won't end up with 9 generals and a private). Rewards for good service are commendations, not ranks.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:32 pm

Manathon wrote:I got a gnome if you want one. Or rather, I want in on my gnome if you've got room for one!

The Xildon is always welcome. No squad is complete without The Xildon.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:36 pm

To give some more spoilers. Remember, still work in progress!

Objectives : till 5.1:

PS: Work is being done, guild should be up by monday (as actual guild) and by wednesday (as an IC guild you can join and RP with)
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sun Oct 28, 2012 6:49 pm

Melnerag wrote:To give some more spoilers. Remember, still work in progress!

Objectives : till 5.1:

PS: Work is being done, guild should be up by monday (as actual guild) and by wednesday (as an IC guild you can join and RP with)

Good luck Meln! best wishes with this, hopefully it will give the alliance a nice solid core of military rp'ers to rally behind!
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Allandra Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:31 am

This sounds interesting.

I really wanted to see something like that coming.
Allandra
Allandra

Character sheet
Name: Alandra Wiliams
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:48 am

Let's hope it does better than the previous somewhat-military themed guild of yours did.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:06 am

Gogol wrote:Let's hope it does better than the previous somewhat-military themed guild of yours did.

I've learned a valuable lesson. Don't start a guild when you hate the game and secretly want to quit. Also, don't give the guild to [CENSORED] when quitting.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:33 am

Everything is work in progress

Discipline and Punishment

Discipline and organization is what makes the military. The Romans knew that, and one of the greatest empires in the world can't be wrong. On one hand, Discipline means a habit of obeying orders and behaving in a proper way, on the other hand it means consequences for failing to behave.

Chain of Command

The thing many get wrong about the chain of command, is that it is indeed an unbroken chain. You know at any given moment who is in charge and who gives your orders. Every argument can be resolved by one party pointing at the stripes on the uniform or line in the rulebook and saying ”I win!”

The guild's ranks may eventually look something like that: captain (leader), lieutenant (2nd in command), sergeant (squad leader), corporal (assistant squad leader), private (rank and file).

Here are the examples how certain situations are resolved:

1. Captain&Lieutenant are absent, the senior-most sergeant (one who is sergeant the longest) is in charge.
2. Sergeant&Corporal of a squad are absent, command falls to the Lieutenant. If he too is absent, it goes to captain, if captain too is absent it goes to senior-most sergeant. If no sergeants are present, it goes to senior-most corporal.

That means, that at all times, it is clear who gives you your orders and who is in charge of the whole guild. Of course it is about decisions that must be taken right now, not about choices that can wait on the desk for the Leader to see to them.

Not the modern military

The guild is by no means part of the modern military, we are talking about a setting that is inspired on the time in earth's history where alcohol was given to the troops as a reward or morale boost and where (in some countries) officers could kill one another in a duel and get away with it.

It doesn't mean that the guild is lax either, but it means that you get punished for being drunk and disorderly on duty...not for drinking on duty. And you only get punished for striking an officer if the officer minds. You can expect failure to show proper respect on official occasions, miserably failing muster or behaving incompetently to be punishable.

Punishments

Remember me mentioning Discipline being also about the consequences? Military likes things crystal clear, so consequences too are crystal-clear. Lets distinguish between minor offences (failing muster, being found drunk, failing to show respect), intermediate offences (disobeying order, getting in a big fight, showing incompetence) and serious offences (killing an ally, incompetence tantamount to treason, actual treason)

Minor and intermediate offences will be taken care of by a three-strike system.

It begins with an admonition which involves your direct superior frowning deeply, giving you a stern talk and making a note on your private record. If offences continue, it leads to a reprimand , which means more stern talking to and an official warning that punishment is imminent. Last is punishment which is given by direct superior and can involve suspension from duty, extra chores, withholding of pay (and alcohol). Repeated offence leads to a Court Martial , which includes coming face to face with out commodore...who is not a very nice lady. Some intermediate offences may lead directly to reprimand or punishment, serious offences always result in immediate court martial.

Conclusion

Immersion and atmosphere are very important, so the guild will try to capture the feel of the military theme. Hopefully that will also add to the clarity in rules and punishments and in the chain of command.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:37 am

Melnerag wrote:
Gogol wrote:Let's hope it does better than the previous somewhat-military themed guild of yours did.

I've learned a valuable lesson. Don't start a guild when you hate the game and secretly want to quit. Also, don't give the guild to [CENSORED] when quitting.
Sounds like a lesson well learned then old friend.
I might even join you on this one later on my self, best of luck to you.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:51 am

Good initiative. One of the reasons the Shatterskull Marauders are as fun and successful as they are is the constant injection of random roleplay that culture-clashes between different races provides.

And if you manage to get this off the ground, and you are looking for hordies to bonk heads with...

We'll be waiting to gut your pink bellies.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Tue Oct 30, 2012 3:48 pm

Although it looks very much close to being complete, it is still work in progress

Task Force Wild Tempest

Expansion of the Alliance is one of tasks admiral Taylor takes to with great zeal, following the great success in Kun-Lai and with the Alliance Fleet still nowhere in sight the admiral has formed a paramilitary task force code-named “Wild Tempest” consisting of native Pandaren recruits, few Alliance soldiers whose units were almost fully wiped out and adventurers from among the Alliance races.

Wild Tempest has been placed under direct command of Commodore Conover, 2nd division, 3rd Squadron of the 7th Fleet who has received orders to use the new task force to increase the Alliance influence on Pandaria, protect the Alliance interests on the new continent and prepare for the arrival of the full might of the Seventh Fleet.

Time will tell if Wild Tempest will be counted among Admiral Taylor's successes like his work in Kun-lai, or as one of his failures like the disaster in Jade Forest.

[A] New Alliance Military Guild for All Races - gouging interest - Page 2 Admira10

Brief Guild Concept:

Guild Activities:

Ranks, Organization and Discipline:

Goals before 5.1:

Joining the Guild:

Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:06 pm

Cool!
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:23 pm

Not that i'm trying to stick a spanner in the works meln, but commodore is firmly a very maritime military rank!

...Navy's dont have sergeants either. if i may suggest, swapping it for the rank of commander or colonel may be wise!
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:31 pm

Krogon Devilstep wrote:Not that i'm trying to stick a spanner in the works meln, but commodore is firmly a very maritime military rank!

...Navy's dont have sergeants either. if i may suggest, swapping it for the rank of commander or colonel may be wise!

That is actually the intention, at least for start. Cut off from the Alliance, on a new continent, using experienced officers at hand (which are naval) to achieve tasks that need achieving (which are land-based). The whole arrangement with the navy will likely be reworked come 5.1.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:32 pm

Melnerag wrote:
Krogon Devilstep wrote:Not that i'm trying to stick a spanner in the works meln, but commodore is firmly a very maritime military rank!

That is actually the intention, at least for start. Cut off from the Alliance, on a new continent, using experienced officers at hand (which are naval) to achieve tasks that need achieving (which are land-based). The whole arrangement with the navy will likely be reworked come 5.1.

ohh i see! well, thats cool... a strong maritime link eh? your the MARINES!

that just makes it infinatly much better.
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:32 pm

As the player of said commodore... this is intentional. The Alliance Pandaria operation is largely a navy-run endeavor so far, with Admiral Taylor in overall command. The Seventh Legion isn't even on the continent until 5.1, currently available Alliance forces includes a single squadron of frigates (the Vanguard, which ran aground, and three more north of Jade Forest) and the SI:7 operatives.

Meln's group is a paramilitary militia, not a true military unit as of yet. That being said, Meln and I have been considering the unit to ultimately become a marine force, basing off a warship, to enable them to perform expeditionary missions in multiple locations after Pandaria. As far as I understand, ground ranks are used for marines in the UK as well as the US? So the ranks shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by Drustai on Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Krogon Devilstep Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:35 pm

Drustai wrote:

As the player of said commodore... this is intentional. The Alliance Pandaria operation is largely a navy-run endeavor so far, with Admiral Taylor in overall command. The Seventh Legion isn't even on the continent until 5.1, currently available Alliance forces includes a single squadron of frigates (the Vanguard, which ran aground, and three more north of Jade Forest) and the SI:7 operatives.

Meln's group is a paramilitary militia, not a true military unit as of yet. That being said, Meln and I have been considering the unit to ultimately become a marine force, basing off a warship, to enable them to perform expeditionary missions in multiple locations after Pandaria. As far as I understand, ground ranks are used for marines in the UK as well as the US? So the ranks shouldn't be a problem.

Yarr, as i said in my last post, i get you now! makes it that much better!
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Gilran Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:53 pm

Great idea for a guild concept, sounds very promising. I wish you best of luck with it.

And if things go well, perhaps in the future there could be some joint military ops with a Dwarven Task-Force?

Last edited by Gilran on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gilran
Gilran

Character sheet
Name: Gilran Steelfist
Title: Envoy of Ironforge

http://forums.threehammers.org/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Wed Oct 31, 2012 2:42 pm

If this doesn't go well and the guild doesn't pick up, may I suggest still going forth with it but as a non-guild. So you call to arms all of the soldiers who sign up and they can simply come along and take orders from their superiors! I'd gladly do that on Vaell, for example, but I don't want him to leave Violet City.

Good luck with it though! Very Happy
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:54 pm

Due to some bad connection, a lot of homework and so forth the guild will be started on FRIDAY instead of today (wednesday), so sorry for delay.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next