Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Day Z - A zombie survival mod!

+13
Chase - Esou
Gogol
Raenmar
Nithel
Humphry
Mikasa
Salketh
Kettin
Velynia
Lavian
Khendran
Lyniath
Vaell
17 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Day Z - A zombie survival mod! - Page 2 Empty Re: Day Z - A zombie survival mod!

Post by Velynia Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:29 am

Is there any way you can eat other people? I finally killed someone, however I'm close to starving. Is cannibalism an option ._.?
Velynia
Velynia

Character sheet
Name: Velynia Du Monteforde
Title: Grand Occultist

Back to top Go down

Day Z - A zombie survival mod! - Page 2 Empty Re: Day Z - A zombie survival mod!

Post by Mikasa Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:32 am

Velynia wrote:Is there any way you can eat other people? I finally killed someone, however I'm close to starving. Is cannibalism an option ._.?

Nope. You can always hope he had soem food on him. Cannibalism is not an option.

Go kill a goat, gut it, and cook the meat :3
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet
Name: Mikasa Angelos
Title: Retlol God

Back to top Go down

Post by Kettin Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:34 am

*Guts nearest space goat rper and eat it* Very Happy nom nom
Kettin
Kettin

Character sheet
Name: Kettin Bilewood
Title: High Executor - Forsaken Military

Back to top Go down

Post by Nithel Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:41 am

Found an AFK player lieing hidden on a roof

I went to gather all the empty cans I could. I stole all his stuff and filled his backpack to the brim with those empty cans Sad I'm a horrible person

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Velynia Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:55 pm

Considering you no longer spawn with a gun/weapon and as far as I know there isn't a melee feature... Does anyone have any tips on 'Starting off'? The only places with weapons/supplies, etc. Are guarded, so to speak, by Zombies.
Is the answer just to try to sneak around?
Velynia
Velynia

Character sheet
Name: Velynia Du Monteforde
Title: Grand Occultist

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:00 pm

Velynia wrote:Considering you no longer spawn with a gun/weapon and as far as I know there isn't a melee feature... Does anyone have any tips on 'Starting off'? The only places with weapons/supplies, etc. Are guarded, so to speak, by Zombies.
Is the answer just to try to sneak around?

Hit the floor.
There's close to no chance of the zombies seeing you if you don't get close to them.
That always work for me.
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Humphry Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:09 pm

Velynia wrote:Is there any way you can eat other people? I finally killed someone, however I'm close to starving. Is cannibalism an option ._.?

That's called being a Zombie Razz

Also, they recently added melee weapons in with a hotfix. At the moment you're able to use the hatchet and a crowbar. If you already have a hatchet on your tool belt, right click it and select the "remove from tool belt" option, it will place it in your main weapon slot, so don't have a rifle equipped. But yes, sneaking is the way to go, even when you have a weapon, so far I've been rather unlucky in that I am yet to fine a gun with the correct ammo, though I have found a fair few melee weapons to cave their heads in. The tips for stealth is to crouch run outside of towns, crouch walk when nearing them and hit the dirt and crawl if you're anywhere near a zombie. A little tip for melee weapons though, only use them if you -have- to, and I do mean as a last resort. In order to get into range to hit them, they are in range to hit you, and 9 times out of 10 they will get the hit in first, and the one time you do manage to hit them before they hit you, they will manage to smack you one in their dying animation. And with how frequently they can cause you to bleed, this is rather bad times unless you have a stock pile of bandages and steaks. (killing an animal and chopping up and cooling it's lovely flesh restores 500 blood if I'm not mistaken.)
Humphry
Humphry

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 pm

Humphry wrote:(killing an animal and chopping up and cooling it's lovely flesh restores 500 blood if I'm not mistaken.)

800 Blood.

If it's cooked, that is.
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:23 am

So hard to get started since the new update <_<
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:16 am

Raenmar wrote:So hard to get started since the new update <_<

Without a gun and such?

It's really not bad. You just need to be overly cautious and hit the major towns, or find a deer stand/barn right away. And that's pretty easy. If you find it hard, you can search for a DayZ Loot map, it'll show you where to find it, if you can't remember where they are quite yet.
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Humphry Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:41 pm

Here's the map I've been usinghttp://dayzdb.com/map but yeah, I joined just before the 1.7.1 patch that removed the guns at start and found it very hard to get going. It doesn't seem so bad for people who've been playing for a while because they know all the right locations to check, the buildings most likely to have the sort of drops they want and in some cases have stores of weapons hidden away in their tents/cars.
Humphry
Humphry

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kettin Wed Jun 27, 2012 11:17 am

downloading now, do u guys play togther?
Kettin
Kettin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Kettin Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:46 pm

No one? D= I wanna playyyy
Kettin
Kettin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Humphry Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:10 pm

I've only had one session of group play (with a steam group I found) but that didn't go so well as someone shot the leader in the back of the head with the 1911 he'd just given him and rage ensued.

But yeah, I've not played it much and am very much still a noob, but I'd be more than willing to group up and get some stuff done. From what I've gathered playing in a group is the best way to survive and the only real way to make use of any vehicle. (plus the sound of a near by monkey zombie makes me rather twitchy when playing solo.)
Humphry
Humphry

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kettin Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:29 pm

we need to get a group going Very Happy played my first game today. It was night and I couldn't see a thing (didnt know I had a flash light) I walked off a cliff. But my god it feels creepy

added me on skype to play "swalez"
Kettin
Kettin

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:15 pm

Got the game thanks to Nifty at the promise he can run me over with cars and loot my corpse. Now to get the mod itself.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:10 am

Contemplating starting this, anyone still on it?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:58 am

We finally managed to assemble the helicopter. Now my team is riding around looking for already spawned zombies, cause everybody knows what that means.

Just got my first nightvision, it's neat even though I think it's abit overpowerd when it filters out the heavy rain completly.
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Chase - Esou Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:24 am

Not playing it as much anymore. Think it's for the same reason I couldn't get into minecraft, there really is no clear objective. That and the fact there's not much to do after a certain point. If you die you can usually become survivably functionable on a new character in about 30 min if you know what you're doing.

I bought it when ArmA CO was 40 % off but I kinda regret it, there are too many bugs and bad mechanics right now.
Chase - Esou
Chase - Esou

Character sheet
Name: herregud
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mikasa Sat Aug 11, 2012 3:08 pm

Still playing it alot. Tho', I've lost my squads and such, and DayZ alone is a bit of a bitch. I've built a Truck, normal car, a helicopter and then been speeding around in a boat, looting the NW Airfield.. But god it's a pain in the ass without other people with you.

You have to be ever so carefull when you're alone, since there's noone that can return fire and maybe kill the other guy that killed you so you can get your gear back. Nope, you get shot and it's back to DM Cherno or Elektro. But it's somewhat rewarding murdering 4 people trying to steal your truck.. only to have it stolen an hour after :<¨

Great fun with other people while being on Voice Com, becomes a bitch alone in the long run!
Mikasa
Mikasa

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:37 pm

So today I went to Eurogamer Expo in London and went to the Dev talk about this, given by the creator Dean Whatever-his-last-name-is.

I'm now insanely excited for the standalone game that will be released in December! Not only is it close by, but these are the reasons I am excited...

- He has said their main issue is the hackers. That is their priority 1 to get rid of as they're players of the game themselves. Obviously a good thing, a company which is dedicating most of its time atm to combatting the issue that can ruin the game.

- FPS issues will be reduced, if not gone! Now, Day Z as a game is brilliant. Zombie survival at its best, however, the combat is juttery and the zombies run at you in zig-zags. I've only just learnt that this is because they were using the Arma 2 models. The thing about Arma 2 models is that every finger has three bones, so picture the entire body being able to move so ridiculously realistically and now picture a shit tonne of those models in a single place. When they zig-zag, it is the Arma AI trying to flank the opponent. So, they're reducing the tonnes of "sections" to a single section. This means no FPS issues from the zombies and he said himself that is the main cause of any FPS in the game.

- Map being improved + potentially bringing in community made maps. He is really forward with the community so it made for a promising potential future when he spoke about how the map could be expanded and how tonnes of buildings will be accessible (every building in Cherno)

- To bring it out this year, regular patches will be made. Instead of having to wait for the full complete game next year, picture it as a Minecraft so working your way through each patch.

- New weapons (he mentioned chainsaw...!) along with stuff like brightly coloured jackets so that you'll be thinking "Shit, if I put this on, I'm easy to spot. But it will stop me getting Malaria."

- That's right, Malaria! And plenty of other illnesses which are caused by various things are being added. And you can spread them! Also, areas of the map can become infected with the illness so you'll have to avoid them unless prepared. Also, he said you may be able to take a shit!

Plenty more was mentioned, e.g a survival game mode with 1 life each. I'm excited !!!

Edit: He also said it'd be cheap!
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Humphry Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:30 am

December? I'm impressed, I thought it would be next Autumn for sure. Sadly I have stopped playing the mod this past month or so after being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no food and my hunger icon flashing red. I have planned for Kitt to turn up with food so I can log in and not die (far to much M16 ammo for that), but it's finding the time for her to do it QQ. But yes, I'm loving the sound of these new additions they'll be implementing, this will definitely be one pick up.
Humphry
Humphry

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Humphry Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:07 pm

I've started stalking the DayZ forums again this afternoon and stumbled upon this:

Not sure if this is the talk Vaell was talking about but it seems to cover the key points he mentioned. I am really pumped for this now, can't wait to pick up the standalone this December. bounce
Humphry
Humphry

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:41 pm

I mentioned this on the other game thread but along with Nifty and Mikasa we've been playing on a server known as DayzRP and have been having a blast there. It's a whitelisting server but it's totally worth it.

There are rules to regulate the idea of sniping for shits and giggles which would result in bans from the server and encourages the idea of RP and team-work with different clans of survivors and bandits, with the bandits themselves being encouraged to obey the server rule-set of only killing if your victim fights back or refuses within reason.

Nifty and Mikasa have been hilariously robbed already.

http://www.dayzrp.com/
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:43 pm

Yeah, that is the one I was at! It wasn't a great presentation but it did cover all the stuff I wanted to know.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next