Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Looking for a Website Builder-Person

5 posters

Go down

Looking for a Website Builder-Person Empty Looking for a Website Builder-Person

Post by Sanara Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:32 pm

Pretty much what it says in the title.

I'm working on a pet project of mine but pretty quickly ran into the teeny-tiny snag that I don't know a thing about web-design. So while I ask a few RL friends over other channels I also figured I'd post a query here as well, see if anyone feels like lending a hand in crafting me a website.

Easy (but less useful) solution would be to just ask someone to create one for me, but I'm hoping to learn the basics myself, so anyone who can spend some time explaining the obvious things about web-design to me would be quite welcome!

What I'm looking to make;

1. Web-page (News, graphics, links)

2. Attached Forum (With whatever that entails)

3. Attached Wiki (Or perhaps the possibility to link an existing Wiki to the front page)

Any helpful advice will be appreciated.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet
Name: Farseer Sanara of Ver Ager
Title: Matriarch of Ere Argus

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Website Builder-Person Empty Re: Looking for a Website Builder-Person

Post by Chrystan Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:41 pm

Forum and Wiki are pieces of piss, honestly, they are pretty much premade and just need some slight customisation that anyone can learn in no time.

I'll be honest when I say I DON'T understand why people use forums such as these with ads when getting a server and uploading and running a forum such as MyBB or PhPBB is so damn easy. I can usually set one up in about an hour, maybe why I host about 20 of them in total for various people. Wiki I have little experience with, but the principal is similar, unless you plan on populating the wiki yourself which takes a lot more knowledge than actually running it!

The Website however.. Well depends on what you want, There are a lot of excellent Content Management Systems like Wordpress and Drupal that make it easier than writing the pure CSS, PHP and HTML code yourself, but they do need some work to get customised to the way you would want them.
Chrystan
Chrystan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Website Builder-Person Empty Re: Looking for a Website Builder-Person

Post by erwtenpeller Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:38 pm

www.wordpress.com

Customisable to the point of insanity, wordpress lets you design any website with ease, and makes them look deliciously well designed as well.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:52 am

Well that looks fucking nuts. I created a blogpage now and gonna fidget around with it until I'm satisfied I can't achieve what I want alone, then ask for more help Razz

Edit:

Here's what I've got made so far, but it feels like I'm already in over my head;

http://progenitorserver.wordpress.com/
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:18 am

Hang in there, wordpress is the easiest way to create pages, and it's always best to do these things yourself. If you've got enough passion for your project, you'll pull through Wink
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:46 am

Yeah I think I can make it work as a main page, but I still need to get a forum going (Drustai is going to work on a Wiki for the project, once she gets off her lazy bum about it!) and then tie it all together somehow.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:50 am

Starting up a forum may be even easier then a wordpress. You google your way to creation. Educate thyself!
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:20 am

What is this website for??? Please tell me nothing TOR related -.- get your ass back to wow already
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:29 am

Shaelyssa wrote:What is this website for??? Please tell me nothing TOR related -.- get your ass back to wow already

Sorry hun, the very thought of playing WoW makes me sigh deeply and rub my head in frustration, I doubt I'll be coming back anytime soon, if ever.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sanara Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:06 pm

I've been looking into making a PhPBB or MyBB forum but frankly looking at the damn website tutorials on their homepages just confuses the fuck out of me.

Can someone please help me by explaining this to me in really really simple words? I feel like a five-year-old trying to grasp detailed newtonian physics just dabbling with NASA readouts.
Sanara
Sanara

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by erwtenpeller Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:14 pm

I advice you to just start doing it and trying things. You'll get the hang of it eventually.
erwtenpeller
erwtenpeller

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:51 pm

Sanara wrote:I've been looking into making a PhPBB or MyBB forum but frankly looking at the damn website tutorials on their homepages just confuses the fuck out of me.

PHPBB3 can be a little daunting at the start. It's a good system, but I felt it was heavily oriented towards large communities (larger than DB community, for example) and not enough tailored to more realistic aims like the typical guild/small-time-game-community.

Personally, I'm quite fond of coupling MediaWiki and SMF. It's easy to do with this mod.

Your root webfolder will then look like this:
/wiki/
/forum/

And then you add a few rules to your .htaccess file:
Code:
RewriteEngine On
RewriteRule ^[^:]*\. - [L]
RewriteRule ^[^:]*\/ - [L]
RewriteRule ^/*$ /wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page [L,QSA]
RewriteRule ^(.+)$ /wiki/index.php?title=$1 [L,QSA]

This will set the Wiki as your main page.

The main bonus of this setup is this:
- You can use a fairly easy interface from the forum to assign members to groups
- You can determine with these groups who gets to make/edit/write wiki pages
Then all you need to do is look for a nice wiki skin, or make one yourself.

An example of the setup is the DoL website, but the template I used was a quick and dirty method to get the site going.
http://www.disciplesoflight.eu
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down