Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Happy Post

+56
Thygore
Yarnaat
Coppersocket
Vaell
Kettin
Arabella Greene
Baròth / Olian
Iriel Silversong
Azmariel
Velynia
Dréfurion
Unathi
Gesh
Khendran
Sharyssa/Adenah
Malchiel
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Salketh
Emrys
Thelos
Lexgrad
Ave/Sariella
Drustai
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Geldar
Zinkle Figgins
Kaleil Sunstrike
Lorainne/Bridlington
Krogon Devilstep
Quin
Raelan
Kittrina
Kristeas Sunbinder
Lavian
Tollir
Tso/Feloreth
Nithel
Lyniath
Morinth
corleth
Timna
Ron Sexton
Rmuffn
Darilas
Eowale
Muzjhath
Shaelyssa
Seranita
Amaryl
Feydor
Chrystan
Antistia
Valerias
Grufftoof
Ledgic
Rasonal Dranger
60 posters

Page 1 of 40 1, 2, 3 ... 20 ... 40  Next

Go down

The Happy Post Empty Re: The Happy Post

Post by Rasonal Dranger Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:54 am

Annie wrote: It's glorious.

Hah, that's just what she said!

About my nose D:
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:13 am

Rasonal Dranger wrote:
Annie wrote: It's glorious.

Hah, that's just what she said!

About my nose D:

The Happy Post Got_your_nose_Spider_Man_Meme-s520x380-196105-580
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Grufftoof Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:56 am

There's a beer from Scotland made with pine needles by this lot:

BEER! which is kinda strangely sweet too. A bit like jam, mixed fruit jam. Not bad, but not great. Their heather beer is nicer.

There's some great American beers though Ledgic. Mainly the newer (some old) "craft" (urgh hate that phrase) beers. Some are quite popular in the UK already (Sierra Nevada, Flying Dog etc). Rogue are also pretty damn amazing.
Grufftoof
Grufftoof

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:47 am

Rogue! Dead Guy ale! <3

I love beers with a lot of flavour, but not ones that are overly hoppy (usually). I know a bartender in Leeds who thinks that hops are God's gift to mankind (well the are - what would we do without beer - but still) and that you can never have too much. He's a little crazy. So... usually not IPAs, though there's this smashing IPA called Dissolution, as 'of in the monasteries.' Maybe I just love the name.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:57 am

Sevaric Harrow wrote:
Antistia wrote:

How about no?

How about 'doch'?

Well, then you have the Regius Professor of Modern History at Cambridge saying you're wrong. To quote him:

"A characteristic representative of this school of thought was the anthropologist Ludwig Woltmann, who argued in 1900 that the Aryan or German race represented the height of human evolution and was thus superior to all others. Therefore, he claimed, the 'Germanic race has been selected to dominate the earth'. But other races, he claimed, were preventing this from happening. The Germans, in the view of some, needed more 'living space' - The German word was Lebensraum - and it would have to be acquired at the expense of others, most likely the Slavs. This was not because the country was literally overcrowded - there was no evidence for that - but because those who advanced such views were taking the idea of territoriality from the animal kingdom and applying it to human society. Alarmed by the growth of Germany's burgeoning cities, they sought the restoration of a rural idea in which German settlers would lord it over 'inferior' Slav peasants, just as they had done, so historians were beginning to tell them, in East Central Europe in the Middle Ages."

As you might also infer from this, it was by no means a novel idea introduced by the nazi movement. Something which tends to, you know, hold true for most their ideological ideas. They were already present in German society with varied levels of acceptance, they just so happened to come together in a particularly poisonous mix.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet
Name: Antistia
Title: Prophet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:32 am

Antistia wrote:
Sevaric Harrow wrote:
Antistia wrote:

How about no?

How about 'doch'?

Well, then you have the Regius Professor of Modern History at Cambridge saying you're wrong. To quote him:

"A characteristic representative of this school of thought was the anthropologist Ludwig Woltmann, who argued in 1900 that the Aryan or German race represented the height of human evolution and was thus superior to all others. Therefore, he claimed, the 'Germanic race has been selected to dominate the earth'. But other races, he claimed, were preventing this from happening. The Germans, in the view of some, needed more 'living space' - The German word was Lebensraum - and it would have to be acquired at the expense of others, most likely the Slavs. This was not because the country was literally overcrowded - there was no evidence for that - but because those who advanced such views were taking the idea of territoriality from the animal kingdom and applying it to human society. Alarmed by the growth of Germany's burgeoning cities, they sought the restoration of a rural idea in which German settlers would lord it over 'inferior' Slav peasants, just as they had done, so historians were beginning to tell them, in East Central Europe in the Middle Ages."

As you might also infer from this, it was by no means a novel idea introduced by the nazi movement. Something which tends to, you know, hold true for most their ideological ideas. They were already present in German society with varied levels of acceptance, they just so happened to come together in a particularly poisonous mix.

Why poisonous? Or well, poisonous for who? ^^

Anyhow, Drang nach Osten existed for quite some time, but it existed in that or another way in all the nations, what's the point?
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:09 am

Ironic you should ask, I think you can deduct from my general worldview why I deem it to be a poisonous ideology. Not to mention the world's experience with it.

However your second point is true. The Drang nach Osten existed for quite some time, which was part of what I was trying to illustrate. Your initial point about the German colonial experience in Africa is something I interpreted as you arguing that the book probably took that to be the sole underpinning of racial theory and the idea of lebensraum. My point with regarding to that was that that does not hold true in the book. Yes, it probably played a role, as so much did.

As for the Drang Nach Osten as an idea having existed in all nations in one form or another. Sure but you have to make it way more abstract and define it as a 'desire for expansionism'. Many, if not all nations, have had that. There might be a few notable exceptions but these are rare, especially in Europe.

So, in short, my point was to counter what I believed was your initial assertion.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:13 am

Antistia wrote:Ironic you should ask, I think you can deduct from my general worldview why I deem it to be a poisonous ideology. Not to mention the world's experience with it.

However your second point is true. The Drang nach Osten existed for quite some time, which was part of what I was trying to illustrate. Your initial point about the German colonial experience in Africa is something I interpreted as you arguing that the book probably took that to be the sole underpinning of racial theory and the idea of lebensraum. My point with regarding to that was that that does not hold true in the book. Yes, it probably played a role, as so much did.

As for the Drang Nach Osten as an idea having existed in all nations in one form or another. Sure but you have to make it way more abstract and define it as a 'desire for expansionism'. Many, if not all nations, have had that. There might be a few notable exceptions but these are rare, especially in Europe.

So, in short, my point was to counter what I believed was your initial assertion.

My initial assertion was that all those explanations, colonialism, Drang nach Osten and the likes are without true basis, as they existed everywhere in that or another form- 'Even' with the Russians (and americans), so I never saw thepoint of the American/few British Historians to raise them..
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:30 pm

My initial assertion was that all those explanations, colonialism, Drang nach Osten and the likes are without true basis, as they existed everywhere in that or another form- 'Even' with the Russians (and americans), so I never saw thepoint of the American/few British Historians to raise them..

Just because other powers were expansionist does not make those explanations without basis. At utmost it makes them hypocritical as they can be accused of the same expansionist tendencies. However we should also note that an appeal to hypocrisy, tu quoque, is a logical fallacy and thus not a valid argument. The fact is that the Reich had expansionist ambitions and that these found their basis in long held ambitions among parts of German society. Also of great importance is the treatment of the populace after the territories had been taken. Take the Mexican Cession, one of the key elements to fulfilling Manifest Destiny. To my knowledge nothing even remotely like what the Reich did to the Poles happened to the Mexicans. The very nature of the Reich's will to acquire Lebensraum and the United States' goal of Manifest Destiny are completely different.

Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Chrystan Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:00 pm

Ledgic Caan wrote:Fuck beer in America.

Ales baby, ales.

North American beer should not be called beer.

I myself think it should be "fizzy cats piss watered down with battery acid." I admit it's a mouthful, but means no one can start saying they drink beer when they frankly don't.

English lagers, unless by a respected and accepted ale brewing company should be called "Beer for wimps" and the likes of Heineken and Stella, or other, over produced European brands should be called light beers, because as naff as they are, they are at least moderately drinkable. South American beers can be drunk only on a hot day when you've been working outside, other times it's also a fail. Oh and of course, if your eating Indian food, it's acceptable to drink Indian beers.

Ale is the only real beer out there people, bitters, stouts, milds, the proper drinks, made with skill and poured with skill!

On a final note, Bavaria should be illegal, never have I drank anything so foul!

Ths is a happy post because I'm making sure everyone understands what beer really is, so now you all know. Laughing
Chrystan
Chrystan

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:57 pm

Antistia wrote:

...Also of great importance is the treatment of the populace after the territories had been taken...

hmm...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Woundedknee1891.jpg
There it is *nod*
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:31 pm

Rasonal Dranger wrote:
Antistia wrote:

...Also of great importance is the treatment of the populace after the territories had been taken...

hmm...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Woundedknee1891.jpg
There it is *nod*

General Nelson Miles denounced Colonel Forsyth and relieved him of command. An exhaustive Army Court of Inquiry convened by Miles criticized Forsyth for his tactical dispositions but otherwise exonerated him of responsibility. The Court of Inquiry, however, was not conducted as a formal court-martial.
The Secretary of War concurred with the decision and reinstated Forsyth to command of the 7th Cavalry. Testimony had indicated that for the most part, troops attempted to avoid non-combatant casualties.

Oh, wait, do you see that? Mistakes were made that led to it. That's not really comparable to the horrors of Poland. Not to mention the fact that the line goes that a shot was fired and led to the US troopers opening fire indiscriminately. Is it bad? Yes. Is the response disproportional? Yes. Is it in any way, shape, or form comparable to the horrors of Poland, or for that matter other eastern European territory occupied by the Germans? No, not at all.

The U.S. Army picked up the pieces after the Spanish left: Soldiers went around distributing food to a hungry populace, staging a sanitary campaign, erecting thousands of public schools (modeled on those of Ohio), rooting out corrupt officials, building roads and bridges, dredging Havana harbor, and generally attempting to "recast Cuban society, such as it was, in the mold of North America."
- The savage wars of peace: Small wars and the rise of American power.

Now I shall admit that this particular excerpt comes from a book written by a staunch believer in American benevolence. Yet reviews of this history book that I have read are positive.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:36 pm

The Happy Post Bye
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:38 pm

That one always manages to put a smile on my face.
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:44 pm

Antistia wrote:That one always manages to put a smile on my face.

It does.. simpsons always manage..
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amaryl Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Anti, rasonal i think where you're going towards is this:

Eugenics It Sucks.

Amaryl

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:20 pm

Amaryl wrote:Anti, rasonal i think where you're going towards is this:

Eugenics It Sucks.

I was already there Wink

also gonna party tonight! Got a grade average of 8.0/10 at the moment! I expect it to go down to 7.8/10 next week but still happy! Wohoo! Finally got BF3 multiplayer working semi-properly too! Wohoo!
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:30 pm

Amaryl wrote:Anti, rasonal i think where you're going towards is this:

Eugenics It Sucks.

Oh why, it's actually great... in that or another form *nod*

And grats anti
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:16 am

had awsome saturday!
shift at work : quiet
bonus at end of shift : pint of cyder
bonus on rout home : half pounder with cheese and chips

what more can one ask for!! XD
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:34 am

Finally ... finally ... FINALLY finished reserving all the hotels/apartments and all the transport. Now all I have to worry up is not getting lost and making it on time to my interviews and then trying to not mess it all up completely lol. But first exams x_x.
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Muzjhath Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:41 pm

Good luck with everything Shae!
Muzjhath
Muzjhath

Character sheet
Name: Muzjhath Farstride
Title: Dead Varog'Gor

Back to top Go down

Post by Antistia Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:56 pm

Muzjhath wrote:Good luck with everything Shae!
Antistia
Antistia

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:29 pm

<3 thanks guys Smile
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet