Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[A] Medic Convention

5 posters

Go down

[A] Medic Convention Empty [A] Medic Convention

Post by Jeanpierre Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:11 am

I'm placing this here for future reference as Jean-Pierre will be proposing this on the council tonight. I hope to work out as much as I can for this event ICly, but for practical reasons, I'm placing it here for OOC feedback as well. In particular I need your help to find a good date. I see some plotlines forming in the events section, but there are some without date or obscured timelines.

The proposition is lengthy, as is tradition when Jean-Pierre writes something down ICly. I marked in blue the pieces of OOC relevance (TL;DR version).

-- IC booklet

A Medical Convention

Foreword

Throughout various war campaigns of the Alliance and through coincidental meetings with other healers, it has become clear that countless methods have been developed to remedy ailments, injuries or increase the comfort of the sick. I could quote Doctor Rentarn Finje's teachings in this: it is necessity, our struggle and fight for survival, that drove us to develop these techniques. Experience in the field teaches me that statement can also be enriched: our desire to increase our comfort, or rather decrease physical unease, has also proven to be a strong drive behind medical improvements. Each species seems to develop their own methods, undoubtedly guided by their own anatomical properties and the cultural influence of their kind.

And yet, the variety in techniques seems far greater and deeper than the classification made by race. This differentiation can be inspired by differences in culture, from one town or city to another. Perhaps geography is an important influence in this matter. One flower, available with ease in Lakeshire, may offer stronger medical solutions to cure fever while being hard to find in Westfall. Alternatively, a technologically more advanced culture might fall back on tools more often, where tribes seem to fall back on more potent magical or shamanistic medicines.

The number of factors influencing our medical evolution are as diverse as the people practicing medicine or any form of healing arts. When being confronted with such diversity... one can't help but wonder: what methods, other than my own, exist? Which of these might prove more potent than mine? Where have others found solutions, where I have not? What could I teach them?

And perhaps, in a more military context, for future campaigns:
How can we work together, should we be assembled in one infirmary or field hospital.

It are these questions that inspired me to hold conventions for medics or any practitioner of the healing arts, so we may present our ways, generate interest and improve understanding for the benefit of all that fall under our care.

Jean-Pierre d'Armagnac.

Principles of the Convention

Variety has often proved a blessing when it comes to finding solution for medical challenges. As such, embracing this variety is for the benefit of the patients and the community. It has, however, proved more often a challenge for organisational matters. Particularly in a military context or a hierarchical context, this presents some difficulties. The variety of methodologies more often than not disables one's ability to clearly define lines and categorize medicine, and their practitioners.

Communication, knowledge and understanding would be the key to both benefit from the variety our medical practices offer, and to improve the organisation of any infirmary, when confronted with such variety. A convention is the presented tool to answer exactly these needs.

The success of such a convention will lie in its ability to make doctors and healers communicate and share knowledge, to generate awareness and understanding... as well as to celebrate the diversity. Such can only be accomplished through a social event, where both formal and informal communication is encouraged.

The convention must try to encourage variety and differences, rather than encourage homogenization. Such is why the subjects are not chosen by the organizing party alone but by the guests who submit their subjects and presentations. People will be invited to share their experiences.

In principle, the Medic Convention intends to be open towards different cultures. Variety should be cherished, when it comes to the development of the healing arts. Notwithstanding of course, that this does not invite the practice of unethical methodologies. The purpose is to work for the benefit of the patient and the community. Subjects handled at the convention will therefor be subject to an ethical, but open minded, review.

Concerns regarding planning.

Before any other arrangements can be made, a suitable date must be found. I would like to ask your support in finding such a date. Perhaps three weeks might provide enough time to prepare for this convention, or perhaps a month?

Conventions are expected to last anything between one to three days, depending on the number of speakers and the length of their presentations. In this proposal I will exemplify a program based on a two day convention.

Concerns regarding infrastructure

A convention must be held at a location providing the required infrastructure. The location must be able to provide answers to our two major concerns:
- a suitable location for lectures, convening and open debate.
- a suitable hosting, including bedding, for all visitors that will join this convention and are required to travel a great distance.

Of course, these facilities should also provide suitable means to cook or offer catering. If these conventions do indeed attract a great cultural diversity, as hoped, then this may add to the complexity of the demands for these facilities.

Finding of guest speakers and lectures

Once a suitable location and date are set, we are required to send out invitations to all races, tribes and orders to invite them for this convention. This invitation will also hold a request for anyone who wishes to speak or hold a presentation to send in:
- the dates available in the convention of their convenience for the presentation
- the subject of their presentation or lecture
- any structural requirements for their presentation. In particular, Gnomish masters of the healing arts may have extensive requirements here.

Once all speakers have submitted their subjects and requirements, a program will be assembled based on their submissions. This program can then be published to all guests. The assembly of this program will be performed by organisation of this convention.
((OOC note, anything before 20:00 will be 'fictional'. It will be delivered as background, for people who want to pretend their character actually spend a whole day at the convention.))

Example program of a day

In this example, we assume the location is Stormwind. This example is fictional, and subject to change.

08:00 - Gathering of the people before the Cathedral. A tour will then be held, explaining the practical organisation and treatment of patients at the Cathedral infirmary. The emphasis lies on the infrastructure, and less the medicine.
12:00 - The group shall be guided to the inn of the Trade District.
13:00 - A collective meal shall be provided, in cooperation with the inn. Time and facilities will be offered to people with more specific demands regarding food. After the meal, some time will be provided to allow our visitors to tour the city.
20:00 till 22:00 - The group convenes behind the Cathedral. Each guest speaker will be granted a chance to speak and present their techniques, and answer questions from the audience.
22:00 - The group is invited for an informal gathering, to discuss their findings. By preference, a drink or snack could be offered. Perhaps, social traditions would imply this to be held in a bar.

Post event communication

These conventions may bring together a unique variety in valuable knowledge on medicine. Therefore it would be opportune to gather the information shared on these conventions in writing and distribute them to our guests, depending as far and wide as the financial support of this convention may enjoy.

OOC notes

Of course, this all sounds dry material but who said it would have to be serious? Personally... I'm considering bringing a Gnome to present his new and improved electro jumper cables with only a 20% fry chance! All I need is a volunteer from the audience.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

[A] Medic Convention Empty Re: [A] Medic Convention

Post by Karlak Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 am

*waves hand* I volunteer!

Sounds like an interesting event Smile I would suggest 3 weeks notice is enough.

I normally aim for 3 weeks for each tournament or event that the Blades host.
Karlak
Karlak

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:25 am

You sure you want to bring a large crowd of RPers to the Trade District?

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:31 am

@Karlak: Thanks for the tip and the offer. Smile
I'll make sure I send a letter to you(r order).
I noted some flexibility in my timing, partly because there is so much talk of other events and plots unfolding in the near future. I'd like to avoid a clash in timing.

@Paragus: No. Actually... ICly I'll be "writing" a program for the entire day, as can be expected with conventions. As noted in the proposal, anything before 20:00 is "fictional". It will not be RP'd. It will be delivered as a background story for those people who want to pretend their character participated in these things.
And I promise... I'll make sure I'll add in some organisational blunders, cooking disasters and the most boring stuff imaginable to offer everyone something to complain about ICly during the social gathering Smile
But the RP'd part is expected to be smooth and planned Smile
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:28 pm

I will make sure the regiments medical corp go to it!
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm definantely interested in attending if I can
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Xen-tau Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:23 pm

My druid would be interested to attend, I however can rarely play on the saturdays..
Xen-tau
Xen-tau

Character sheet
Name: Aishling Silversun/Dawncaller
Title: Magistrix

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:35 am

Well I was probably aiming for a mid-week day or two, depending on the number of speakers.
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down