Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Motherhood (Annie/Vale)

2 posters

Go down

Motherhood (Annie/Vale) Empty Motherhood (Annie/Vale)

Post by Valerias Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:53 am

Really rusty with writing, and not terribly pleased with this story, so if you've any suggestions on fixing it please let me know! Still, it's always fun to write about two of my own characters interacting.

==

Annie paused at the head of the stairs, her fingers itching toward the hilt of her dirk. The long hallway was lit only by a single lamp, its unsteady flame cased in a globe of amber glass. The light cast eerie shadows on the flagstones and on the wall-hangings, tapestries woven in weird patterns that seemed to Annie to be from an unknown world.

Frowning, Annie peered into the gloom. She had been here many times, but there was always something - something that made her uneasy - or perhaps it was just her damn imagination. The woman muttered to herself and straightened her shoulders. It had been a long night already, but that didn't mean she had to start giving in to foolish fancies.

''Ey, Valerias?' she called down the corridor, resting her hands on her hips.

The hall was silent but for the soft sputtering of the lamp. Annie muttered a curse under her breath and set off down the corridor. If she had to wake up the nurse in order to see to the children, so be it.

And then there was the quiet click of a door opening, and Annie turned on her booted heel to observe the figure who stood had appeared in one of the doorways.

'Aniane.' The woman stepped forward into the lamplight and closed the door behind her. The red velvet gown that hung from her shoulders was worked with elegance, and she carried herself with the haughty dignity that made Annie want to smirk each time they crossed paths. She remembered all the times that she had seen Vale at the Blade, wearing cheap cloth and getting drunk on cheap brandy.

'I've come for th'twins,' Annie said.

'At this hour?' Vale pursed her lips and lifted a hand to sweep back some of the hair that hung around her shoulders.

'Ye were awake.' Annie gestured pointedly to the door through which the other had entered the hallway. Sure, Vale liked to put on a show of elegance, but it was well past midnight: she hadn't put on that dress for Annie's sake, and with the hair that looked a little bit disheveled, Annie had the feeling she knew what the woman had been up to.

Vale narrowed her eyes. 'I have a guest, yes, and it's a poor hour of the night to be visiting. I would have thought even you would understand a few social rules. Besides, you'll wake the children.'

Annie ignored the barbs with a quiet snort. 'Tha's what I 'ave every intention o'doin'. I'm takin' 'em back.'

The lamplight faltered suddenly in the corridor, as if it had caught a fault in the wick, and Vale swept across the floor toward Annie, looking downward into her eyes. 'Led asked me to keep them safe, and that's what I'll do,' she said, her voice low, each word heavily pronounced.

'Led asked ye cause we couldn' do it ourselves 'en. Now I can, an' fuck if yer stoppin' me.' Annie threw back her head and looked up into Vale's face. She had strange eyes, Annie thought briefly; all murk and malice, nothing like Led's.

Vale's mouth twisted as she spoke. 'Oh, so you plan to play the good little housekeeper while the rest of us rescue Ledgic? How touching.'

The fist shot forward toward Vale's jaw. There was a blur of movement as Vale dodged, and seconds later the two women stood face to face, Vale's hand clasped around Annie's upraised wrist, while sound of rustling velvet died away into silence. Well, she was damned arrogant, but Annie had to admit that she was fast. She looked up, searching those angry eyes.

'I'll take 'em t'Rose, they know Rose,' she muttered as she pulled her wrist away from Vale's grasp.

The other woman faced her quietly for a moment before speaking. 'They'll be safer here with Adrian. I made Ledgic a promise. Do you think I would do anything to compromise that?'

Annie rubbed her wrist, shaking her head. What did she think about that? She disliked Vale, being in the same room with her was like trying to drink brandy mixed with piss, but no, somehow she didn't think she would break that promise. But that wasn't the point...

'Look 'ere, lass, she started, and then stopped and rubbed her face. Might as well try to argue with a empty pint glass, but she guessed it was better than trying to take the twins by force. 'Look, Vale.' She frowned, looking up again. 'Belle 'n Lucas... I'm th'only mum they got. Ye don' 'ave to like it, but that's 'ow it is.'

She felt the other woman's eyes on her, searching her, but Annie didn't care. Even if she really didn't know with whom the twins would be safest, she knew that what she was saying was right. This wasn't about blood, or names; this was about her family. Her family. She smirked inwardly, wondering what Ledgic would think if he could hear her now.

At last, Vale inclined her head, the golden drops in her ears trembling, glinting for a moment in the lamplight with the warmth of a single spark. 'Well then. The choice is yours, Aniane Caan.'

Annie bit her lip. She hadn't expected it to be that easy; but then it was hard to tell whether she was being mocked, or whether becoming a mother had made some sort of difference in Vale. Probably both, she thought dryly.

Groaning, Annie rubbed a rough hand across her face. Would the twins really be safe with Rose? She didn't understand the heart of this whole feud, only that the Hawthorns wanted the Caans dead, and they wanted some sort of power from Eothan. So she could either leave the twins with Eothan's sister, or in the company of Eothan's son. Neither option was what she wanted, yet... she had to trust someone, and she had rushed in here only half knowing what she was doing.

'Ye'd do a lo' for yer son, wouldn' ye?' Annie asked, looking up suddenly.

Vale tossed her head in a light, derisive motion, but then before speaking the sarcastic remark that had no doubt sprung to her mind, she pursed her lips and looked carefully at Annie. 'I would.'

After a long pause, Annie nodded. 'Then I'm 'oldin' ye to yer promise t'Led. Y'sure tha' mage o'yers can keep 'em safe?'

Vale's mouth flickered at the corners, and it seemed to Annie that it was almost a smile. 'He's not my mage, but yes, I am certain.'

'Righ'. Tomorrow mornin' early 'en. We're... goin' t'need ye.'

Vale inclined her head once more, and then with a sweeping of her skirts, she turned to disappear through the door from which she had entered, leaving Annie alone beneath the wavering light of the amberglass lamp.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Motherhood (Annie/Vale) Empty Re: Motherhood (Annie/Vale)

Post by Ledgic Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:45 pm

Really like the changes you've made here. It's cleared up the things I pointed out at least! Good stuff <3
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Ah I'm so glad! Your help was invaluable in making it clearer, even if I'm afraid it's still a little clunky. You're great, as always.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down