Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lion and the Serpent - Chapter Twelve: Banner

Go down

The Lion and the Serpent - Chapter Twelve: Banner Empty The Lion and the Serpent - Chapter Twelve: Banner

Post by Krogon Devilstep Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:52 pm

“No! I insist that this round is on me, especially after what you two just did!” Exclaimed Edgar as he planted a brass tray on the table, complete with three large frothing tankards of mead.

The young paladin sat with a clank, his heavy judgement armour may have been ornate but it was rather noisy. Taking his own tankard from the table, he took a modest sip and placed it back down with his cheerful smile looking to his saviours.

“We did nothing Edgar lad, we were just ‘passing’ and happened to save you while killing some trolls...” chuckled Arador, grasping his own tankard but not lifting it. Instead he glanced around the inn suspiciously, to ensure nobody was listening to them.

The Darkshire inn was neither crowded nor sparse with patrons, instead the innkeeper enjoyed a degree of ‘stable’ business, considering since the civil war Duskwood had been made relatively safe. Though now, Gurubashi raids had started to drive away traders and travellers once more.

Leaning on the bar stood a rather poorly geared knight, his rustic armour sticking out sorely as he tried to chat up the barmaid. While by the door sat a party of Darkshire’s militia and several of the new Stormwind garrison, discussing matters of town security, or perhaps just talking about the barmaid too. She was rather cute, though her long draping blonde hair masked her face from those who sat by the fire.

“It was no problem Edgar... and i welcome the pint, i needed one after the time I’ve been having” muttered Seiken as he lifted his gaze from the roaring fire place. The trio sat around a table, each facing toward the impressive brick structure and the roaring flames within.

Edgar nodded slowly, his face shifting to an uncomfortable shade of awkward. Coughing gently he spoke up.

“aye, even down here we heard about what happened...” the young paladin sighed, before making a weak smile and continuing, “but the massacre you returned too happens in Duskwood weekly, though on a far smaller scale. Light rest all their souls...”

Arador sighed, obviously remembering that horror of a mound the trolls had left for them. Seiken however replied without hesitation.

“And that’s why we came to do something about them; we won’t let the world sit idle while people suffer to these injustices on a daily basis...” Spoke up the prince, holding his head high with some degree of dignity as he picked up his mead and took several large gulps before slamming it down satisfied.

Well put...

Shush you...

Edgar smiled broadly, his eyes lighting up with a glimmer of hope. Arador however arched a brow, seemingly confused as to why they were discussing what was obviously supposed to be secret business in a public place.

“But, how Lord Seiken, i don’t mean to be rude, there’s little that can be done. The Troll’s sport a fair army, Stormwind won’t risk its forces on another suicide mission and the Vale is protected by the mountains. How could it be done?” questioned Edgar with a curious face, before sipping indulgently from his mug.

“That i can’t say... but at the least, have faith” Replied the prince, smiling gently. The flickering of the fire beside them seemed to be reflected eerily in Seiken’s silver eye. Edgar swallowed gently, not sure it to be a strange omen, a joke or a serious remark. Arador simply smiled, satisfied Seiken was keeping tight lipped.

“Well how can i help?” asked the paladin with a whisper, it seemed he had grasped the idea this was all very hush hush.

He’s perfect, after what he did for Stormwind he’s ideal...

Oh is he now?

Watch and see...

“How do you fancy being my standard carrier? Someone has to hold up our banner as a symbol for the army to follow...” Seiken whispered back, grinning.
Edgar’s eyes widened, a gasp of surprise and joy escaping his lungs. With a wide smile he seemed stuck for words.

“It would be a-n an honour! I will do the best i can for you, for us all! It will be an honour to carry your banner!” Blurted out the amazed paladin. Arador smiled faintly, taking a deep gulp of his mead. Seiken however raised a bemused brow.

“You think you’re going to carry the flag of the white lion? I’m sorry to disappoint you Edgar but that is an honour reserved for my household knights” replied Seiken almost apologetically.

Edgar’s face turned to one of confusion, while Arador simply snickered. Seiken shook his head gently. “You misunderstood; i need someone to carry the banner of us all, something that means a lot more than nations or peoples. You’re going to carry the Banner of the Grand Alliance, a job awarded only to the most loyal and brave...”

The paladin dropped his mead, his jaw dropping.

You certainly know how to catch people off guard...

It’s an acquired skill...

Seiken smiled, folding his arms and slouching some way into his chair. The flicker of the warm fire went on as Edgar smiled and laughed, muttering prayers of thanks. As he composed himself he sat up straight to reply, a truly happy smile on his face.

“My lord, it would be the greatest of pleasures. You do me and my family name a great honour...” said Edgar, his voice strong and noble despite his youth, he bowed his head.

“After what you did for Stormwind and the Alliance against Zaraj and the Nether prince, my friend, it is most definatly deserved. Even bishop Fortesgue keeps asking after you every time he needs a young paladin for some daring mission...” Seiken uttered, finishing with a gentle chuckle.

Edgar smiled broadly, obviously very pleased. Arador remained quiet though, keeping guard and playing silently with his thoughts, though he did manage to roll his eyes with a smirk.

“So what’s the plan?” urged Edgar, maintaining his smile. Seems he felt part of the group now.

“We gather for our march two days after new year, a week from now that is. Muster at Westbrook garrison at sun up... and bring all your gear for war” muttered Seiken hoarsely.

Edgar nodded once. A blank expression of slight awe on his face as he seemingly fathomed that the two Arathorian’s had a plan.

“And suppose I’d best inform our allies in Stormwind and Ironforge that we have found our path eh?” muttered Arador, turning his glance slowly to the Prince.

“Ask them to be at sentinel hill for two hours after Sun up, bring every soldier they can find...” Replied Seiken, with a solemn sagely nod.
“I’ll get to it as soon as we return...” agreed Arador.

To war we go...

To war we all go...
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down