Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Half-Marathons

5 posters

Go down

Half-Marathons Empty Half-Marathons

Post by Shaelyssa Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:03 pm

Hello everyone :) I hope you're all doing good.

So I signed up to run a half-marathon for charity for a children's hospital here and I am way way way excited about it. I was wondering if anyone here has run half-marathon before? I've never run more than 12km at any one time. Usually when I do 10km, I try to average around 4:30-5:00 minutes per kilometer, but I don't think I'd be able to keep that up in a half-marathon ...

But anyways, it'd be really nice if I could get some feedback from somebody who's run one before. What's a good pace to aim for? What's a good snack to eat during the run? Usually I don't need to eat anything if I'm running 10km but think I'll need to for the 21km one ...

Basically at the moment, I am running 12km on Sundays, 6-8km on Mondays-Fridays and on Saturday I have a break day. I'm usually keeping up a 4:30-5:00 minutes per kilometer pace and I'm in the 170-185 heartbeats per minute zone (polar sport zones hard and maximum for people who know about those). Should I just keep doing or do I actually need to run 21km every week or something to prepare for the half-marathon? I have about 6 weeks or so until we start

Thanks again :) I was first checking on google but I only got like "beginner's training schedules" and stuff and they were really bad so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here!! ;)
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Half-Marathons Empty Re: Half-Marathons

Post by Jayse Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:59 pm

I've done the great north run previously. Your going for long distance running so your training is pure conditioning. You want a mix of slow burning carbs and quick glucose. Train yourself to go past the wall which will start to really hurt as your body hits anabolectic (spelling) reactives when you don't get enough air and it's used all the energy in your stomach and starts going for your fat reserves. So big lungs boyo!

Food
Oatmeal
Granola bars
Bananas, apples and oranges (good natural sugars there)
Lo GI rice and pasta (not alot) or a little amount of potato
Fish (and plenty of it) (dark rish like Tuna are good for the protiens and Omegas)
Salads and green leaves (lots of and don't worry too much about root vegetables, they're heavy on your stomach)
Eggs (good protiens, quick burning and light on the stomach)

LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS AND LOTS of fresh water. Maybe some Isotonic drinks to put the salts and minerals back into you as you run to stop dehydration.

And training.. is simple.. RUN.. RUN FOR YOUR LIFE! RUN TILL YOU BLEED! RUN TILL YOU PUKE!
Jayse
Jayse

Character sheet
Name: Jayse Ravenwest
Title: International Man of Mystery

Back to top Go down

Post by Feydor Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:14 pm

Just pretend you're in a Rocky film it works for me.
Feydor
Feydor

Character sheet
Name: Theodore
Title: Grand Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Thonian/Gashwille/Markyth Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:17 pm

I run until i bleed from my eyes.
Thonian/Gashwille/Markyth
Thonian/Gashwille/Markyth

Character sheet
Name: Thonian the Tyrrean
Title: Vanquisher of the Chapter of Holy Anethion

Back to top Go down

Post by teirzul Thu Feb 03, 2011 10:49 pm

jayse seems to hit the nail on the head.
if it was me i would up the distance on a week day (random)
teirzul
teirzul

Back to top Go down

Post by Shaelyssa Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:09 am

Thanks so much for the replies!!! Smile

Jayse, that is basically what I have been eating for the past forever (except for the rice, pasta and eggs - yuck).

But ya, I'm so stoked about this. Smile!!! Last week, we had a 10km race at school (came tied first wooh!!) but I have no idea how I'm going to do in the half-marathon. It'll be fun for sure though inshallah. Thanks again!
Shaelyssa
Shaelyssa

Character sheet
Name: Shaelyssa Bladesinger
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down