Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drawing tutorial

3 posters

Go down

Drawing tutorial Empty Drawing tutorial

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:20 am

Originally did this for facebook and a drawing forum but thought I'd share it with you guys too! Smile

Pencils: 4H, 2H, HB, B, 2B, 4B
Materials: Sharpener, paper stompf, knead-able eraser, erasing pen, soft brush, big brush (I use a powder-brush) to brush away erasing stuff with (running your hand over your drawing might make you cry as you will smudge it out)

Step 1:
Use a 4H pencil to lightly sketch out the features. Don't worry about details, this is just for you to get an accurate placement of the features. Do not press with the pencil, that will ruin the paper and will also be hard to erase.
Fix it up and erase what you don't like and re-sketch it. Hold the paper out to get a different view of it, go away from it for a little while and come back or scan it to easier spot mistakes and things that are off. Define some good lines with a 2H if you want to.
Drawing tutorial Drawin11

Step 2:
Start drawing. I usually start with the eyes. Remember that eyes are moist and therefor will have a defined highlight, mostly also when they are in shadow. I used 2H, HB and B for the eyes.
Drawing tutorial Drawin12

Last edited by Meralynn / Ashla on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet
Name: Meralynn
Title: Sergeant, Blazing Shields

Back to top Go down

Drawing tutorial Empty Re: Drawing tutorial

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:20 am

Step 3:
Start shading. I start by drawing gently with a 2H, then HB, then B. After that I blend with a stompf (if you don't have one you can use a q-tip) and fill in some more on the darker parts. Avoid smudging with your fingers, it damages the paper and it creates an oily surface that can make it hard to edit.
Drawing tutorial Drawin13

Step 4:
Do the mouth. Try not to leave sharp edges around the mouth, it will make it look like a clown. The upper lip is usually a bit darker than the lower as the light usually comes from above. The lower lip usually has a highlight. Don't go crazy with the lines on the lips, too sharp lines will look weird.
Sculpt the face with your shades! Remember that the face is rounded. Objects further from you will be darker and closer objects will be brighter.
Drawing tutorial Drawin14

Last edited by Meralynn / Ashla on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:21 am

Step 5:
Keep shading to sculpture the hand and neck. The closer to objects are to each other the darker the shadow is.
Drawing tutorial Drawin15

Step 6:
Take out your 4H again and gently sketch in the hair. Smudge the hairline a bit so there will not be a sharp edge.
Drawing tutorial Drawin16

Last edited by Meralynn / Ashla on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:21 am

Step 7:
Use a 2B pencil to draw in the hair. Brush it with a soft brush to create softness.
Drawing tutorial Drawin17

Step 8:
Add a few more layers of 2B, brush between each. Also add a layer of 4B, but fewer lines. This will create structure. Brush it!
Drawing tutorial Drawin18

Last edited by Meralynn / Ashla on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:22 am

Step 9:
Add shades and highlights to the hair. Add stray hairs and fix the shadow by the hairline to look natural.
I use an eraser pen to make the highlights, but you can also cut a pointy piece from a regular eraser or form a knead-able eraser to a pointy tip.
Remember that even white hair will have very dark areas, just as black hair will have bright highlights.
Drawing tutorial Drawin19

Step 10:
Add some finishing touches and you're done! Very Happy
Drawing tutorial Drawin21

Last edited by Meralynn / Ashla on Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:39 am; edited 2 times in total
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:22 am

Pencils:

Pencils are graded with numbers and letters, such as 2B, 4H, HB etc.
H means "Hard" and B means "Black". A 5H is harder than a 4H, just as a 6B is darker than a 4B. An HB is in the middle range.
The harder a pencil is the brighter the lines become. Hard pencils are not made for pressing against the paper. Think of it like this:
The paper has "teeth". The hard pencil will be hard to chew graphite off but will also damage the teeth more, while the softer pencil will be easier to chew graphite off and will not harm the teeth as much. Got it?

Shadows
Small lightning source will make the shadow wider the further from the object it gets:
Drawing tutorial Shadow-fuzzy
Drawing tutorial Shadow-photo-window2

Big lightning source will make the shadow narrower the further from the object you get:
Drawing tutorial Shadow-fuzzy2
Drawing tutorial Shadow-photo-window

The surface and nearby objects will reflect in the object. The light bounces off the surface of this table up to the egg:
Drawing tutorial Exercise-egg-example

(images taken from http://hippie.nu/~unicorn/tut/xhtml/ )

Speculars
All materials will have speculars, a highlight where the light bounces off. Smoother materials (like silver, glass, metal) will have more exaggerated speculars while very "rough" materials (like cotton, dirt) will have speculars so soft that it is hardly visible:
Drawing tutorial Materials
Drawing tutorial Speculars

(pictures borrowed from http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm )

Last edited by Meralynn / Ashla on Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:09 am; edited 3 times in total
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:26 am

Damnit, I only have 2 minutes left. Post the other steps already!

Razz

Looks great so far
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:38 am

Thanks JP. ^^
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:13 pm

dam nice tutorial permision to print screan and lirn?
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Meralynn / Ashla Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:37 pm

Permission granted. Very Happy

I'd love to see your final work too! So please scan and post it here,or snap it with a camera! Would be fun to see. Very Happy
Meralynn / Ashla
Meralynn / Ashla

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:03 pm

I will try I have a perliminery drawing of chare but that is in my old home as i havent finished moving yet,.. this will help me well Smile thank you so much
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down