Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Character Inspiration?

+39
erwtenpeller
Nessra Sunwhisper
Gustov
Tyrós/Cále
Ara
Drustai
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Timna
Iralan
Cid
Feydor
Elízabéth Moren
Nayan
Kristeas Sunbinder
Arinith
Shaelyssa
Mike
Darilas
Zhakiri
Shandrea/Nar'Gaya
Magaskawee/Anaei
Halya
Jomir
Kil'drakor
Morgeth
Jayse
Rasonal Dranger
(Goggy) - Exilius
Geldar
Dharum
Nassulra / Dobkins
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Kozgugore Feraleye
Jeanpierre
Mandui
Gogol
Thenkar
Jakins
Gesh
43 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Character Inspiration? Empty Character Inspiration?

Post by Gesh Sat Jun 12, 2010 4:50 pm

Now, I think most of us will agree our charecter concepts and personalities, looks don't just pop out of a magic well of creativity in our head. Each of our charecters; atleast mine have been inspired from books, movies, cartoons, charecters, music and even just IRL scenarios. So what about yours? Why does your charecter act like that? Why did that happen to them?

Vectoria: I wanted a bitchy charecter. I'm still fidgeting with her personality but the main inspiration for her is the idea of this typical crazy bitch villian, gobby, powerful and generally a pain in the ass of the hero/heroine. Kill Bill Vo. 1 and 2 were very helpful in crafting Vectoria, Elle the eyepatch woman who plays the nemesis of The bride holds certain traits of Vectoria, the bitchyness, vanity, and general tantrums. 

Vectoria's classy side is very typical disney, villainess. She can flutter her eyelashes, pout her lips and twist the opinion or next move of her foe or even allies with this creepy charm. I fealt the warlock class would be perfect for her mostly due to the fact every villian has a  jibbering minion they beat on, thankfully I got summon imp quite quickly :>.

Looks wise, I didn't want her to be exceptionally beautiful. Or enchanting, not anything like that. I wanted her to be " Hot " but in a zombie way, creepy and very disgusting but un-deniably attractive with her curves. I came across this image whilst writeing her flagRSP.

Last edited by Madel/Vectoria/Koblitz on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:31 am; edited 2 times in total
Gesh
Gesh

Back to top Go down

Character Inspiration? Empty Re: Character Inspiration?

Post by Jakins Sat Jun 12, 2010 5:43 pm

Actually, my idea on Jakins came right out of my head.

It's called 'imagination'. Truly an awesome device.

And your picture doesn't work because you stolez it!
Jakins
Jakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Thenkar Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:26 pm

Good artists loan, the best artists steal. Or so I've heard...

My concept for Thenkar has evolved from when I rolled him, but basically I try to play him as a manipulative (aspiring for magnificent) bastard.
I've always preferred brain over brawn, but I've read so many books with and without chessmasters that it would be impossible to tell where Thenk got his inspiration. Probably a mix or a general template that just took the mind of its own.
Also, not being that religious myself, I wanted him to be a religious nut. n.n

The relevant tropes are:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MagnificentBastard
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ManipulativeBastard
I found tropes only after making Thenk, but they're the general archetype he tries/wants to be.

Also hmm, for my 2nd most RPed character Kinahmi... I just wanted to RP a peon, it's so fun to click them!

Thenkar

Character sheet
Name: Thenkar Shadowborn
Title: Shadowpope of the Cult

Back to top Go down

Post by Gogol Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:17 pm

Gogol Irondawn
Character Inspiration? You_cant_handle_the_truth_jack_nicholson
Gogol
Gogol

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:26 pm

(I watched Gogol go A few good men today...it was priceless)
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakins Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:59 pm

I still go by what I said.

I've had zero inspirations for any of my characters. None of them. Not sure why you'd want to copy other characters so intensely.
Jakins
Jakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeanpierre Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:23 pm

JP wasn't based on any other character but I guess the cliché, shy, easily frightened librarian type doesn't require more inspiration Wink
Jeanpierre
Jeanpierre

http://www.disciplesoflight.eu

Back to top Go down

Post by Kozgugore Feraleye Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:29 pm

Inspiration = / stealing or copying.

As for Koz, I loosely inspired him on Titus Pullo from the Rome series. I loved that character!
Kozgugore Feraleye
Kozgugore Feraleye

http://www.orcsoftheredblade.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Ehrfürchtige Bennedict Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:36 pm

Bennedict I dunno...

Guess inspired by all the lighties that I rp'ed with at the beginning as a death knight.

Probably loosely inspired by Karthan Rand's behavior.

But mostly, just on being your average friendly pallywand Very Happy

Last edited by Bennedict on Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:12 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Lulz)
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict
Ehrfürchtige Bennedict

Character sheet
Name: Bennedict Omarosand
Title: Sir, Disciple of Light

Back to top Go down

Post by Nassulra / Dobkins Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:04 am

Nassulra was the first character i created for WoW. And i basicly started out just wanting an undead shadowpriest with no idea of what personality he was supposed to have.. He basicly took control and fleshed himself out over the years i've been playing him.
Nassulra / Dobkins
Nassulra / Dobkins

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:39 am

There was no actual role model for Mandui. I created her to be the typical Draenei, wise, stoic and kind, in every single aspect of her personality. I suppose she does have many traits from my own personality, since that's rather inevitable after RPing a character for this long.

After 4 years of RP, Mandui has grown to be a lot more different than I initially perceived her to be, not because of me deciding to suddenly change her out of nowhere, but rather because of the RP itself and the consequences it has brought on her character development. The people around her, the situations she's been through and the knowledge acquired through them, have changed her greatly; perhaps to a point that most people are unaware of. Despite the numerous alts I have created thoughout the years, she remains my "main" and she always has priority in everything I do.

Last edited by Mandui on Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:20 am; edited 2 times in total
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Nassulra / Dobkins Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:03 am

Mandui wrote:
After 4 years of RP, Mandui has grown to be a lot more different than I initially perceived her to be, not because of me deciding to suddenly change her out of nowhere, but rather because of the RP itself and the consequences it has brought on her character development. The people around her, the situations she's been through and the knowledge acquired through them, have changed her greatly. Perhaps to a point where most people are unaware of.

This is exactly what makes a great character! When it's taken a life of it's own and the characters actions are not based on your ooc goals but rather the character itself and experience he/she has.. And now i'm just repeating Mandui.. Because it's true! This is what truely in my eyes makes a great character!
Nassulra / Dobkins
Nassulra / Dobkins

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:25 am

Clay Farglade was based on nothing, a character I made, gave a huge background to go by. (I tend to make a background and go with that.)
He was made to help Imanuel with the Chapter since he asked me to do it and I in the end thought - heck, why not! He fleshed out himself and is now Trave Blackdawn.. wutwut, nothing I planned, but that's what had to be done. Fleshing himself out.

Vargosh, I admitt was loosely inspired from Divided Soul, the machinima. But him too have/was fleshed out from events and the background given him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:19 am

Yeah... Pretty much. xD

Back to top Go down

Post by Dharum Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:58 am

What started as a somewhat generic insane dwarf has by now developed in to something quite different.

Later though when I for some reason read Salvatore books (forgotten realms) I noticed how much Athrogate reminded me of Dharum, yet I had never seen/read about the character before, but it made we want a demonic boar mount *nod*
Dharum
Dharum

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:24 am

Inspired by Warhammer.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by (Goggy) - Exilius Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:31 am

A childhood of disney, fairytale books and popculture. Razz
(Goggy) - Exilius
(Goggy) - Exilius

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasonal Dranger Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:53 am

(Goggy) - Exilius wrote:A childhood of disney, fairytale books and popculture. Razz

And your characters are still quiet interesting. Amazing.
Rasonal Dranger
Rasonal Dranger

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Jakins Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:13 pm

Disney was interesting back before Disney Channel came around.

Disney Channel ruined Disney.

Last edited by Jakins on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jakins
Jakins

Back to top Go down

Post by Jayse Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Jayse, well all I knew was I wanted to RP something to do with SI:7. I gave him some traits, jumped in and just see what happened. After all this time he's evolved greatly from the person anyone that knew him all that time ago.

To say inspiration, i'd say there's a little bit 'action hero' in there. More leaning towords a little Martin Riggs/John McLaine but not just a simple flatboard character so I added alot of depth over his development and experiences with a little of myself in there too I guess. Sort of well instead of creating a character I thought would be interesting to play I thought about if I was in that setting, what would I want to be. If that makes sense. He has his flaws and his strongpoints and is the only character I RP. He's been on a long strange journey and it's continuing each progressing week. But as a few have stated before, he started a lump clay and it's been the ongoing RP that's moulded him into what he is today.

Last edited by Jayse on Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jayse
Jayse

Character sheet
Name: Jayse Ravenwest
Title: International Man of Mystery

Back to top Go down

Post by Morgeth Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:50 pm

Right. I could post this long discussion on how "imagination" usually takes inspiration from things already created as well, but bah.

As for Morgeth, I think I took inspiration from some of the RP characters I've seen over the years that I've been active in that whole "scene". A friend of mine (Shabs/Cybele/Mivah) has a knack of creating interesting characters, and I took inspiration from what she has shown to be capable of producing in the past. Morg started out way different than she is to this day, and I fuel her with some of my own personality traits that get exaggerated, because it's fun to me.
Morgeth
Morgeth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Kil'drakor Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Gnash I created as a clean slate. I had just one thing in mind -- Gnash would be the anti-hero, since I enjoy role-playing such a character from previous attempts. I started role-playing with him and it came all naturally, really. In retrospect I've taken a lot of inspiration from spaghetti westerns, Dirty Harry, and the whole bum culture that Tom Waits is often associated with. So yeah -- this guy is pretty much a loud mouth run-down maverick who drinks and swears a lot and uses a lot of weird expressions as "this stinks like a pig's ass in the summer time" and whatever I can think of. Smile

Kil'drakor

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:30 pm

Morgeth wrote:Right. I could post this long discussion on how "imagination" usually takes inspiration from things already created as well, but bah.

As for Morgeth, I think I took inspiration from some of the RP characters I've seen over the years that I've been active in that whole "scene". A friend of mine (Shabs/Cybele/Mivah) has a knack of creating interesting characters, and I took inspiration from what she has shown to be capable of producing in the past. Morg started out way different than she is to this day, and I fuel her with some of my own personality traits that get exaggerated, because it's fun to me.

This of course.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jomir Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:06 pm

I was inspired to make Jomir by the DRS members with the mountaineer gear. I thought it looked great and I didnt RP till I had it. For the personality I just read up all the Dwarf lore I could find and then observed the DRS for a bit. They have the element of silliness which I tried to combine with how Dwarves would act from lore.
Jomir
Jomir

Back to top Go down

Post by Halya Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:11 pm

All I started with was the understanding that I was from another planet. Like that helpful intro had told me. I've since Halya with my own anxiety, blown out of proportion, and... Well, I couldn't possibly imagine where any other potential inspiration for her has come from.
Halya
Halya

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next