Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Letter To The Council

+8
Feral / Blackfall
Robin Drake
Tamil
Reynar / Raviran
Maelmoor
Tirilik
Morgaan
The Great Jack Ironside
12 posters

Go down

A Letter To The Council Empty A Letter To The Council

Post by The Great Jack Ironside Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:27 pm

To the members of Stormwind City Council. I am writing this letter to lay out my previous idea I suggested a council which was the issue of introducing a new and effective parole and probation system to better help this city's needs in all forms. I would like to set up and assist greatly in this new system, so that we can get criminals out of the cells and into work programmes and community service incentives that would aid us rather than drain resources. The main goal of this is to unclog our cells and boost our wealth while at the same time reforming a criminal into a brand new citizen ready to serve as best they can. The severity of the crime would dictate the type of probation the criminal may get, the less violent and destructive the crime the easier the work labour they must do. A list of different places that criminals could be forced to work is almost limitless, from janitorial positions in bars and taverns, shipping labour at the docks and even working within the industrial area of the Dwarven district, filled with hard working skilled craftsmen which of course would all be free labour, so no complaints there.

How to do this is a slightly more difficult question than just talking about it, I believe that there should be a person to take a look at each criminals file and best judge where they would be useful, where they would pose small risk to others, and urgency of what jobs might be needed at the time, in my opinion a person who has experienced and went through this process will be best to have involved. Then of course depending on the crime the criminal would be set a duration for this work programme, of which each day they will have to show up to the workplace and report to the effective guard station so that they may be monitored for the enclosed time. After their time is up the same individual who assigned the criminal their job would be the one to fill in a report if they believe that the person may be released and return to their life or continue with the current job they may be doing. I'm sure if this is taken well there will be much more to plan and discuss.

From Jack Ironside

OOC INFO

Hope anyone who reads this takes some ideas from it. I'm aware it's not overly detailed but I think you can understand the issues and points behind it, hopefully it's understood clear and might have a chance to become a part of our Law and Order RP system.

The Great Jack Ironside

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

A Letter To The Council Empty Re: A Letter To The Council

Post by Morgaan Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:59 pm

Too bad the Northern Vigil didn't work out (mostly my own fault) we would have taken in prisoners gladly to fight the scourge/forsaken and make useful citizens out of them.
Morgaan
Morgaan

Character sheet
Name: Morgaan Pureheart
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tirilik Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:21 pm

OOC:
People who RP as criminals are very unlikely to go through complete character transformations because of a bit of IC hard labour, especially as in most cases it would mean leaving their guild.
It would be just too easy for people to escape or be freed from their work programs, the guards would never want to release them from prison.
Mostly though, the guards aren't organised enough (especially across two guilds) they rarely seem to mark down who is in prison for what and for how long, relying on the those who arrested them to log on and sort it.

In theory, it sounds like a fun idea but in practice I foresee so many problems.

Tirilik

Back to top Go down

Post by Maelmoor Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:57 pm

OOC:
Thank you for the suggestion, those are always welcome, I will make sure the Minister of Justice takes a look Smile
Maelmoor
Maelmoor

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynar / Raviran Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:03 pm

Tirilik wrote:OOC:
People who RP as criminals are very unlikely to go through complete character transformations because of a bit of IC hard labour, especially as in most cases it would mean leaving their guild.
It would be just too easy for people to escape or be freed from their work programs, the guards would never want to release them from prison.
Mostly though, the guards aren't organised enough (especially across two guilds) they rarely seem to mark down who is in prison for what and for how long, relying on the those who arrested them to log on and sort it.

In theory, it sounds like a fun idea but in practice I foresee so many problems.

RP instead of AFK sounds good to me.
And it's your character so you don't have to change him / her in any way if you don't wish for it, and of course this gives the criminals a chance to look legit on the outside, giving more open doors for different kinds of RP. Just saying, if your choices are either execution or joining an army guild up north then I know which one I'd pick.
Answer:

And if said characters just break the parole they won't most likely ever get to participate in it again. And + if you escape, that just adds to your crimes and eventually you -WILL- be caught and have to deal with the IC consequences.

Just on the topic of the 2 guard guilds, it's your character so it's also your responsibility to talk about the choices OOCly which just brings more communication between criminal and guard guilds.

= Profit
Reynar / Raviran
Reynar / Raviran

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamil Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:48 pm

Excellent initiative Jack, thank you.

I'm glad to see people are thinking about alternative ways of punishment and not just imprisonment.
In my opinion, there must be better methods than the current one, so that the inprisoned character will still have something to RP in case the guards are out of the building or just busy. The guards themselves will have more fun interaction with criminals than only jailors-and-prisoners.

We could for example take a look at the real life law system for inspiration. Fines don't really seem to work, since RP gold is somewhat imaginary, but putting criminals to work, for instance the way Jack described, might be feasible.

Any other thoughts?

Tamil
Tamil
Tamil

Character sheet
Name: Tamil Rodericson
Title: Private First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Robin Drake Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:01 pm

Not only just work but maybe two or three times a day chaining the prisoners legs and handcuffing them, then taking them out on patrol with the guards or otherwise just for a walk around the city is also a good idea in my opinion and I requested that once while in the Regiment cells. I have also asked and suggested as well as an initial punishment for more serious crimes, forced enlistment into the army during campaigns that the Alliance take part in. There's plenty of things we could do which allow prisoners to still RP while serving a jail sentence. This can also link in with specific peoples events for example people in jail could have been taken to the Tradesman's market to serve as shop assistants or such.
Robin Drake
Robin Drake

Character sheet
Name: Robin Drake
Title: Wolf of Shady Lady Street

Back to top Go down

Post by Feral / Blackfall Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:57 pm

Purely out of interest, what happened to the Ironhold Prison guild? That seemed like such a great idea, with huge potential.
Feral / Blackfall
Feral / Blackfall

Back to top Go down

Post by Bradley Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:21 pm

Died because of lack of activity and whatnot from the gm and the officers
Bradley
Bradley

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Táo Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:17 pm

Feral / Blackfall wrote:Purely out of interest, what happened to the Ironhold Prison guild? That seemed like such a great idea, with huge potential.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] was indeed a nice idea and initiative, which sadly died due to inactivity.. As mentioned above..
I think it could be awesome with a make-over for the whole prison system, including this fine idea from Jack, and maybe some new eyes upon the sentences..
The best shot would be having the cellars of the guards for short-sentenced prisoners and then a real prison for the "core" criminals with longer sentences and repeated acts of crime..
From this said prison could a parole system be put to function with forced labour terms..

But of course, this is just how I think the ideal system would look like Smile
It would need a proper prison to be managed..
When this is not possible, I think too, that Jack's idea is a great alternative to being put into AFK for hours while jailed..
I approve..
Táo
Táo

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Tamil Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:20 am

Medieval punishment:

World of Warcraft is, after all, set in a medieval era sunny
Tamil
Tamil

Character sheet
Name: Tamil Rodericson
Title: Private First Class

Back to top Go down

Post by Alasdaire Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:37 am

shit idea tbh mate
Alasdaire
Alasdaire

Character sheet
Name: Alasdaire Giles
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mallucis Wed Dec 30, 2015 12:10 pm

Alasdaire wrote:shit idea tbh mate

Last post by Tamil on Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:20 pm.

Quite late, Alasdaire.
Mallucis
Mallucis

Character sheet
Name: Aramal Blackstone
Title: Knight of Stormwind, Lord of Blackwood

http://mallucis.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Alasdaire Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:02 pm

And locked for necroposting.

-Hutchins