Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artifact Weapons - Revisited (Roleplay Proposal)

+8
Reyxor/Dlaqev/Lucag
Nerion
Azapha
siegmund
Webbles
Ixirar
Naroma
Thanondorf
12 posters

Go down

Artifact Weapons - Revisited (Roleplay Proposal) Empty Artifact Weapons - Revisited (Roleplay Proposal)

Post by Thanondorf Sat Aug 20, 2016 11:56 am

Brief Introduction

A lot of you may not know me so I figure I'll just introduce myself real quick. My name is Thanondorf (Real name i swear!) and I started on this server back in January. A few weeks in I first interacted with the RP community on the server by randomly stumbling on a weekly council meeting. I've been roleplaying ever since.
      I've grown very fond of roleplaying these past 6 months and I must say it's one of my favorite past times on my PC. I've been told numerous times, however, that things aren't the way they used to be in the RP community. That people used to roam the streets of Stormwind and see it filled with in character guards and other players eager to role-play. Things this time around have become a lot more stale it seems, and I believe that it's mostly because of the lack of plots or events that unify the entire community in some way. Apart from the council there really isn't any other weekly occasion that would see people from more than one guild in the same place for RP. I'm really interested in seeing role-play "flourish" again and I've been trying to come up with ways to do just that...

The Subject At Hand

So I wanted to reintroduce the idea of adding the artifact weapons into role-play. It’s a topic that’s bugged my head for a couple of months and I’ve been trying to find a way to actually make it work. I believe that it’s quite doable and will provide some extra depth in the RP community, as well providing many opportunities for possible events and story plots.

I believe that having some people in the community wielding artifact weapons would be a great addition to the RP-world. These people could potentially act as leaders of their classes. They would of course need to be people that we'd OOC agree upon and not those who called dibs/completed a quest first. (It's all about unison after all...) The thing here is that:

• A) This shouldn't really be met with such disagreement. What this idea proposes is basically guilds...but for classes. Hierarchy can exist between the orders. How things play out inside a specific order are up to them.

• B) Not everyone has to be ICly okay with a certain leader. In fact, what people decide to ICly do with that information is completely up to them. Some could try to make a rebel order and potentially try to take matters into their own hands for their order. The choices are limitless. And that's what makes it interesting!

There does seem to be some controversy when it comes to the artifact weapons themselves. Few seem to be okay with someone wielding "The Ashbringer". However, it's all about what the weapon symbolizes in the current expansion, which is to unite paladins under a single banner. We'll probably hang the weapons up after this expansion so it will only be a limited thing (Limited being a couple of years, of course.)

There would be a problem as to how the voted people will come across the weapons. That could be done by following the quests or simply giving it to the person after they are recovered from "Top...Men".

In regards to what we'll do cross-faction: We could decide which faction recovers which artifact weapons so we can ultimately "split" the artifact weapons between factions. Both horde and alliance can and should be able to implement them in their RP community. Another option would be to appoint a leader for both factions when it comes to certain classes (I.E. The Ashbringer, for obvious reasons).

There is also no need to include every single artifact weapon into role-play. Some weapons that are deemed too high-profile to be included could just be excluded (Did someone say...Ashbringer?)

I believe this whole thing is quite doable. All it requires is some effort and cooperation. This expansion is giving us a great opportunity to expand our roleplay horizons, and I strongly believe that we should take advantage of it.

So having all these things considered, what are your thoughts on actually including the artifact weapons into Roleplay? Any more proposals as to how we could make it work? I'd love to hear some feedback!
Thanondorf
Thanondorf

Back to top Go down

Artifact Weapons - Revisited (Roleplay Proposal) Empty Re: Artifact Weapons - Revisited (Roleplay Proposal)

Post by Naroma Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:01 pm

I've shared my thoughts on this with plenty of people, and could likely write an essay on my own opinions around it. But simply put, personally, I think its a bad idea for the community, some may be behind, others not, and we don't need the community splitting further.

Having lore established objects IC has never gone down well before, and I don't see it going down well any time into the future.

Constructively speaking, I would be happy with them existing in the hands of someone simply off screen and not used in our everyday roleplay. That is how I would intend to handle it.

Naroma
Naroma

Character sheet
Name: Naroma Herandir
Title: Master Assassin

Back to top Go down

Artifact Weapons - Revisited (Roleplay Proposal) Empty Re: Artifact Weapons - Revisited (Roleplay Proposal)

Post by Thanondorf Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:09 pm

Having lore established objects IC has never gone down well before, and I don't see it going down well any time into the future.
I can imagine the times where legendary weapons IC didn't really work out (Hi I'm Jon and this is my Sulfuras.)
However I find that this time around it can be different, simply because there is more structure and premeditation to the whole thing.

There is no reason to split the community over this. I can understand that there is fear for how this will turn out, especially now that the community is somewhat struggling. However, I'm positive that once we get past our fears and establish the foundations for class orders, everything will work out.
Thanondorf
Thanondorf

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:00 pm

Will you then have ongoing elections for who gets to wield the Ashbringer? Or will the appointment be permanent? What if somebody comes along later who doesn't get along with the Ashbringer, how will they be a part of the Paladin class order RP, since the Ashbringer is very central to that whole thing and his disapproval would be very detrimental to your inclusion into the order. What if the guy elected to be the Ashbringer goes inactive? What if he quits wow? "Oh, look. The Highlord of the Silver Hand decided to go home. We'll have to have a new election to decide who wields it from now on untill they get bored of the war."

Nope. It doesn't work. You can have artifacts but make them your own, don't ICly claim to wield the Ashbringer, or Apocalypse, or the Doomhammer. Back in the day we had a Scarlet Crusade guild. Its leader had the Corrupted Ashbringer weapon, and he used it ICly, but called it the Ashflame and said that it was a weapon forged in the image of the Ashbringer to honor the memory of Alexandros Mograine. This is an alright approach. Obviously it's silly if every other paladin has a replica Ashbringer ICly but nothing's stopping them from having them made to fight the Legion.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Webbles Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:08 pm

Well, you can debate this as long as you want, but here's the facts:

1. If you don't mind a lot of other RPers outright ignoring your existence (or at the very least your artifact RP), which will happen, no one can stop you from doing this.

2. Even if you manage to convince every single one of the dozen people reading defiasrp (which you probably won't), >50% of the paladin RPers will not acknowledge you as any sort of authority.

3. This won't be unique or interesting in any way, it would just be another 'guild' that you don't actually have to join in-game, such as the Azure Flame or Manaspark's Army. Except you'd be forcing people to be a part of the 'guild' simply based on their chosen class. And that it's based on one character's power RP, rather than a proper concept.

4. It's definitely not a solution to the lack of random RP.
Webbles
Webbles

Character sheet
Name: Webbles Boozeboat
Title: Her Majesty

http://thescarlet.forumotion.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:12 pm

Anyone claiming to ICly have their artifact weapon will hopefully be laughed off the server.

No ifs or buts that stuff is simply extremely bad.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thanondorf Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:27 pm

It seems that many of the classes even have established NPC leaders, making this not something all classes could have as a feature...
I'd only propose we actually went through with the whole thing if the vast majority agreed with it but it clearly doesn't seem to be the case ^^

Thanks for the feedback
Thanondorf
Thanondorf

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sat Aug 20, 2016 2:43 pm

I have to agree there is really no need to include the weapons in RP. Sure you can use the tales of heroes wielding it can be used to inspire people to join up and fight the legion some more and unite "classes" Or make your own other weapons/armor improvements unrelated to the artifacts.

Far as the lack of things happening for the comunity - People have mentioned trying to start up the weekly RP spot thing again which did help back in the past with more gatherings as well as the idea of revitilizing some hubs for RP among other ideas.

Today at 8pm or around that time there is a war council gathering in Ironforge, that's a good place to maybe spark a idea like the class thing but no need to split it among classes but just working thowards defeating the legion, there are already smith RPers and other craftsmen about so one can still make some weapons or armor to help RP new shiny gadgets of a engineer proffesion or a new mog so I rather sugest one starts there. Treasure hunting for magical various magical items and relics and so on can be a thing too if you make a story/event/campaign around it . There are many possibilities really... But I too think the artifacts we gain as the legendary heroes should stay with the heroes not the RP characters since pretty much everyone will be running around with those weapons as is.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Azapha Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:33 pm

Agree with others on this, my 10 cent,  there is enough room in wow to create relics of your own with back story to them, I have a few items on my own toon who I RP on the most which have been significant parts of her story

Don't get me wrong there is some IC items from game you can use from quests,  but there not unique such as 'the staff of justifyed sins' ((rping with this would pretty much mean your a sanctioned warlock and was gifted this by commission of the King for service for the alliance)) the difference here is that there is more than one of these around in lore,  which makes it less of a problem

Put in short,  I'd stick to your own creations..  i figured a story to work into my floating head for Legion from my artifact that is not the one of a kind artifact,

also I dont think I could justify that one player on the realm ICly becomes one of the council of six for the warlocks as well, we would not be able to claim WHO the council of six would pick to replace the lost member (and get an artifact weapon from it)

I assume a number of other classes also have story's to these items and class halls that may challenging for us to rp as well, I just talk from warlock one as I know it the most
Azapha
Azapha

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nerion Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Basicly, I could become the Lich King if I got the shards of frostmourne? Sounds fun! Son of Lich King incoming

Yeah, doesn't sound like a good idea

Nerion

Back to top Go down

Post by Reyxor/Dlaqev/Lucag Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:54 pm

I hope there would be knowledge what happens to these artifacts after the Legion expansion. If the weapons just won't remain in game in future expansions as still useable or are they just forgotten, I think those should be made as in character relics used by players, somehow. As for Ashbringer, it would be most important for paladins to preserve. Sounds a bit unpopular for someone to have it in character, but there are matters supporting the claiming of artifact weapons that are possible to be claimed, although difficult to attain in character. Matters like: it would be better to have it ic for someone or for an order than leave it rusting at someone's backyard.

I'd still be for having these weapons in character later on, when I look at it now. What the end point is for those in game mechanics decides a lot how I think about the artifact weapons. Will have to look perhaps into the matter again when there is more info on it.

So good idea Thanon to bring up.
Reyxor/Dlaqev/Lucag
Reyxor/Dlaqev/Lucag

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rhena Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:55 pm

Not a good idea. Most of the points why have already been brought up.
Rhena
Rhena

Character sheet
Name: Rhena Oxley
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:08 pm

I have already told my thoughts. I would not deem it a good idea to use Artefact Weapons in RP.

In some cases, the artefact wielder is also the leader of their class. I understand that guilds that roleplay a Class, such as The Argent Crusade, having a named leader would help, but do you need that? You as a guild are your own branch of The Argent Crusade/Silver Hand, answering to your own leaders. You might get your orders from somewhere, but that is mostly as a hook to "get somewhere".
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:47 pm

I'll just say "No" to Artifact use. I'll mog over with a regular weapon and never look back. Reminds me, still don't know what weapons the Warriors will get.

EDIT: Thanks Siegmund for the links, although I have to say I'm slightly disappointed in the lack of variety in weapons for Warriors (I mean, swords all the way through? Come on! One axe and one hammer would be nice change).

Last edited by Cid on Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:18 am

Here ya go Cid, with the option to change the so far diffrent apperances:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I myself think some weapon models wouldn't be too bad to use in RP if you like the apperance if you don't really claim it's whatever it is. Of course that's a bit harder with like the Ashbringer and such.
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynard Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:35 am

If anyone wants to RP out ordering a new "epic" weapon to match them picking up an artefact in game, I'm all yours. That way you can have an IC reason for your new weapon, without it being Ashbringer as such.

Heaps of RP to be had there, as I can send you off on quests to acquire various things to put into the blade...
Reynard
Reynard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down