Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Artefact Weapons

+3
Cid
Kain
Reynard
7 posters

Go down

Artefact Weapons Empty Artefact Weapons

Post by Reynard Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:45 am

How is everyone going to RP this? I'm especially interested as a weapon smith.

Fen has an "epic" suit of armour which I forged myself but I have no personal special weapon (yet). I guess I'll get one when I pick up my artefact, but I'm not sure if I want to make that an IC event or not. It'll get pretty old pretty quickly when *everyone* has the same thing happen to them, so I'm guessing that quest is not going to be considered to be IC.

Is everyone thinking up "family heirloom" ideas and plots?
Reynard
Reynard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Artefact Weapons Empty Re: Artefact Weapons

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:59 am

Pretty sure nobody's going to roleplay the events of the player character as an event of their own.
Not sure why anyone would be interested in that either. Having a story revolve around you at all times or "being a special snowflake" isn't sought after in RP in my experience.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kain Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:04 am

I think by most part people are going to be transmogging the artifacts to their usual weapons. It's hard to determine if people should go further with that idea, because like you said if everyone has one it becomes a bit old and not to mention odd. It'll be strange when a bunch of people come to all RP together and suddenly everyone's got some new special, powerful weapon and when asked how they got them, it's a family heirloom.

Granted some people already wield their own special weapons. I'm curious to see how this goes.
Kain
Kain

Character sheet
Name: Kain Templeman
Title: Relict of the Kirin Tor

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:47 am

I guess Cid will craft some powerful weaponry for his clan, seeing as he is a blacksmith as well. Recently acquired crafting plans I guess. Or I just mog over them to look like regular weapons anyway and skip the whole artifact business. Most likely outcome on my part.
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Skarain Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:07 am

Kain wrote:I think by most part people are going to be transmogging the artifacts to their usual weapons.
This.

If an Artefact weapon resembles strongly their own weapon of choice, they might visit a smith in RP to have it "reforged".

Alternatively, I can see some people making plots or starting a process to craft a new weapon - since they want to use the artefact appearance.

It really depends on the Artefact in question and whether they deem it to fit the fantasy that they have for their character.
Skarain
Skarain

Character sheet
Name: Skarain Feirand
Title: Mother of the Flame

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynard Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:09 am

Djura wrote:Pretty sure nobody's going to roleplay the events of the player character as an event of their own.  Not sure why anyone would be interested in that either.

This is an interesting point, because I'm planning to RP my way through the whole Legion expansion - I'm going to walk everywhere, emote with the quest givers and so forth.  Why?  Because I can.  With 2 years till the next expansion I'm in no rush to complete the quests or hit 110.  I will just cruise through it at a slow pace and enjoy the ride.

So, with that in mind I want to have as much of the Legion experience happen IC as I can.  I don't see this as a bad idea - after all we can't ignore the Legion invasion IC - so we have to decide what parts of it actually happen IC and what does not.  Right?

Hence the question on what to do about the Artefact weapons.

Having a story revolve around you at all times or "being a special snowflake" isn't sought after in RP in my experience.

Agreed.  But as you can see I'm after some discussion on how or if people are planning on IC dealing with things like the Artefacts.   I guess from initial responses that the answer is to ignore them IC and xmog them back to our favoured weapons - which works for me too.

I think Fen does need to work on crafting himself a special weapon to go with his 'epic' armour, but I think that storyline will be separate from the whole in-game artefact questline (which I guess I'll ignore IC).

Incidentally, to put this into perspective, when I say "epic" all Fen's armour is made of is Mithril plates over Dark Iron chain, so it's not really 'OP' I don't think, nor god-modding.  And I went to a lot of effort in character with loads of quests to forge it.  Full story [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.].
Reynard
Reynard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Cid Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:12 am

Fenodyree wrote:This is an interesting point, because I'm planning to RP my way through the whole Legion expansion - I'm going to walk everywhere, emote with the quest givers and so forth. Why? Because I can. With 2 years till the next expansion I'm in no rush to complete the quests or hit 110. I will just cruise through it at a slow pace and enjoy the ride.

I used to do that as well up until Cataclysm came around. Started doing that again a bit in WoD, but forgot it again later on. I guess Legion might see a roleplaying dwarf or two doing the quests (albeit I most likely will carry on levelling when others are offline etc).
Cid
Cid

Character sheet
Name: Cid Blackforge
Title: Captain of the Guard

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:28 am

Well, if I had a Paladin (giveworgenpaladinpls) I'd never go around saying that I have the Ashbringer so I personally will not be saying any of my characters have the actual artefact weapons.

However if a particular artefact weapon has abilities or whatever that seem to reflect a magical weapon you already have or planned on getting then I'd say use what the game gives you.

For example, Sebastian has a two-handed mace that is very much tied to dark magic and shadowy nonsense, which means the Arms Warrior artefact weapon actually is a great fit for it so if I ever went back to Arms, I'd use some of those abilities IC (not all of them but still) because it reflects closely what the mace is capable of.

In short I suppose I'd say no, I won't be RPing the actual artefact weapons and I will disagree with anyone who actually does it. Regarding RPing through the Legion quests though, go for it! Why not? I'd do it with you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynard Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:41 am

I'm getting the feeling that RPing the "standard" Legion quests is fine - it's not a big stretch to imagine that all people involved in the Legion invasion will have a similar experience. You just need to avoid specific quest discussion I guess otherwise it'll make no sense when person A says, "I was asked to do this" and person B pipes up and says "so was I!" when the quest could only be done once (like to kill a named mob for example).

But any epic/legendary/artefact level stuff should probably be more OOC. This suits me down to the ground as I like my RP to be low-fantasy, fairly gritty stuff - the less "epic" the better.
Reynard
Reynard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:45 am

Fenodyree wrote:
But any epic/legendary/artefact level stuff should probably be more OOC.  This suits me down to the ground as I like my RP to be low-fantasy, fairly gritty stuff - the less "epic" the better.

I agree with this, aye. Although don't get me wrong, the "epic" moments have a time and a place! Sometimes feels good to have that big pay off at the end to make your character feel like a badass.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ixirar Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:12 pm

But any epic/legendary/artefact level stuff should probably be more OOC. This suits me down to the ground as I like my RP to be low-fantasy, fairly gritty stuff - the less "epic" the better.

I think it's a bit fallacious to state a preference as if it was a general rule. If you like a modest story for your character, that's fine. But what if someone else prefers their char fit into a more literal interpretation of their questing experience? I'm obviously not saying anybody literally RP the Ashbringer, Highlord of the Silver Hand. But a paladin claiming to be a high ranking/powerful knight of the silver hand who had an artifact forged to aid them in their battle against the Legion? Who stood with the heroes of Azeroth at the Broken Shore and such.

Imo, everything except the name of your artifact and the rank in your organisation is perfectly RPable. Maybe except for the warrior class hall. It's perfectly fair to want to RP your character as more than "just a footman" or "a common blacksmith" or w/e. Your character can be one of the legendary heroes of Azeroth, just don't take a spot that is filled by a lore character.
Ixirar
Ixirar

Back to top Go down

Post by Reynard Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:35 pm

Agreed - I did more mean my post to be how I'm going to play it. Of course anyone else is free to RP and interpret however they like. Smile
Reynard
Reynard

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Azapha Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:20 pm

Well unfortunately I have to change my staff as my spec won't use one, but I was personaly going to "find" relics during RP most likely,  although I'm not using any examples of the artifacts we are been given, it will just be from things found in the fight against the Legion

Then again that depends if the floating skull can be mogged away as I really don't want to take off my weapon everytime I go IC ((please blizzard give me a floating book I'd role with that))

ICly though azapha already has a really well known staff that is her own, became a trademark item she ran from city before Being willing to give it up.. So I'm still tempted to use it ICly

Last edited by Azapha on Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Azapha
Azapha

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Naroma Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:22 pm

Most of my characters already have their own trademark weapons, so I will just be transmogging to what they currently always carry. I will be avoiding using the model of an artifact through personal preference, though for the less recognisable models there is really no harm in someone making use of the visuals.
Naroma
Naroma

Character sheet
Name: Naroma Herandir
Title: Master Assassin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down