Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

2. The Final Test

2 posters

Go down

2. The Final Test Empty 2. The Final Test

Post by Fenuviel/Eidan Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:09 am

"Come," came the familiar command from Shagrath. Fenuviel did not respond by means of words or even a nod, simply obeyed. He knew Shagrath didn't need an answer, and didn't expect anything more than just that. For him to obey. It had been strange the first day in Shagrath's absence. He had gotten so used to his lessons that it had been difficult at first to train himself, but this he had managed to do. He had managed to detach himself from the things holding him back. Ayuria, his old friend, and Fira. And now that Shagrath had returned, he wasn't sure what to do.

"Seiken has become quite a nuisance as of late,"

Fenuviel looked up at the words, seeing Shagrath looking back at him, and lips drew into a slow smirk. Indeed, the human had been quite obnoxious the last few days, even if it hadn't yet led to anything too serious. But too many were growing nosey as of late. Trying to meddle with the business of the Sphere.

"Yes, so I have noticed," Fenuviel chuckled quietly, stopping in the small house off of Cut-Throat alley as Shagrath came to a halt in front of him and turned to face him. This was where he had often taken orders from Shagrath, many of them leaving a bad taste, so to speak, in his memories. He couldn't help feeling vaguely nervous at the seriousness in which his master looked at him. He felt as though Shagrath was appraising him, but he knew he hadn't yet earned the Shadowlord's respect, and so he was uncertain whether to treat this gaze with confidence or not. As usual, he stood quiet until Shagrath had said what he wanted.

"He is becoming too nosey. Do you understand me? You are ready now to earn my respect," Shagrath continued, watching his apprentice with his usual cold and calculated gaze. Fenuviel was silent still. He realized that Shagrath wanted him to kill Seiken. He supposed it was fitting. Seiken had tried to challenge him on one of his first days amongst the Sphere. But he was still no warrior himself, and Seiken was far more trained. Shagrath addressed this even as Fenuviel was still stuck puzzling over it in his mind. Would his master really send him on a suicide mission? "You could die. Do you understand?!"

Fenuviel withdrew slightly as Shagrath raised his voice at the last question. Perhaps he was a bit stunned. He wasn't truly afraid of death anymore, thanks to his master, but at the same time, he wanted to live. There were things he still wanted to accomplish. He forced himself to respond though before Shagrath need repeat his question yet again.

"Yes, I... understand!" he replied quickly, looking back up from the floor to his master. Shagrath waited only a moment for Fenuviel to respond before he nearly cut off his words.

"Then go. Kill Seiken Trollbane,"

Fenuviel hastily gave a low bow, already beginning to back out of the room before he had righted himself. He ran to put on his armor, his mind blank as he tightened and fastened the buckles. He wasn't scared, nor did he even think about failing. Only the task at hand mattered. He would not let Shagrath down. He couldn't. He would be the one that didn't betray him, that would make him proud.

A fresh breeze across his face drew Fenuviel back to his senses as he realized he had left the city into Elwynn forest. He quickly made his way off the path, far enough that no guards would see where he went, and began to make his way quietly through the trees. No one would track him this time. There would be no witnesses. Once he was far enough away, the Elf took his bow and prepared it, attaching the string and checking that it was taught. He picked this up and quickly set off again, knocking an arrow upon the bowstring as he ran.

Nearing the graveyard, Fenuviel spotted the man he sought, kneeling at a grave. Despite himself, he did not feel nervous. He even realized that a grin had broken out upon his face as he gazed upon the unsuspecting Trollbane. He wrapped the shadows about himself, seeming to blend in with the darkness, and raised his bow. He gazed down the length of the arrow, taking his time. He would make it a clean shot. Through the heart. Don't leave him time to even scream. This was when he was deadly. All other sights and sounds faded away as he aimed that arrow with deadly precision. And let it fly.

But at that moment Seiken leaned to the side, preparing to stand. The arrow hit him square in the shoulder, knocking the man back, but leaving him very much alive. Fenuviel let the man scramble to his feet and reach for his sword as he knocked another arrow, aiming at his right leg. He wanted to keep this one at a distance.

"Seiken..." Fenuviel hissed as he let the second arrow fly, but it only grazed the human. "I bear a message from the Sphere!" he called to him. He slid his bow over his shoulder, reaching for his sword. But he underestimated the human. Despite the arrow grazing him, he did not slow. Letting out a furious shout, Seiken charged at him with amazing speed and fury. Fenuviel had only managed to take a step back before the man had bowled into him, sending the skinny elf flying backwards onto the ground. Fenuviel stared stunned at the sky for a moment until he saw Seiken's shadow move closer. The Elf reached into his boot and grabbed a dagger. Seiken saw the movement, but it was too late, Fenuviel jammed the blade into his foot and rolled away. Fenuviel was not strong like Seiken, but he was quick. He would make sure the human couldn't rush about as he could.

"You meddle far too much, Seiken. You will learn not to," Fenuviel sneered. Seiken let out another roar and rushed into the Elf. For a few moments they held a dance of blades. Fenuviel would duck about, doing his best to avoid the swings. When Seiken was unbalanced from a swing that he had dodged, he would lash out quickly with his own before the man had time to lift his blade to swing back. And so proceeded the dance, though Fenuviel could see that his matter of cuts would not take Seiken down quickly enough. In a moment of hesitation, he was nearly knocked to his feet again as the broad sword slammed into his arm. Fenuviel gasped and clapped his free hand to the wound, though Seiken was not done yet. Fenuviel took the sword in his other hand, but he could no longer hold against the warrior. He found it harder to dodge the swings, and he could not make any of his own. In a last effort, as Seiken raised his arms for a blow, Fenuviel lunged at his chest. Seiken could see the desperate look in the Elf's eyes, and using the momentum of his swing, twisted his body out of the way. His blade slammed into the Elf's stomache with dreadful power, driving him back.

Fenuviel knew it was over. He could not go on, nor could he run. He closed his eyes, and as he fell back, he let his muscles go limp, so that he fell with a sickening thud, twisted; all the breath left his body, and even as his lungs screamed he wouldn't take in a breath of air. This was how a dead man fell, when the life left him. Blood trickled from the corner of his mouth, but he did nothing to stop it. It really must have looked like it had been the killing blow, for Seiken lowered his sword and spat on the ground.

"Evil scum..." Fenuviel heard him mutter. "So the Sphere wants a war..? So be it,"

The Elf waited until he heard the heavy footfalls of the bulky human grow more and more distant, praying it was true, and not merely the effect of his consciousness fading. When no other sound could be heard, he righted himself with a quiet groan. Pain shot through him and he gripped at his stomach with a grimace, using the tree at his back to get to his feet. He stumbled blindly for a moment until he heard water splash at his boot. He was near Goldshire now. Better stay back. Seiken might be there.

He tried to turn, but instead collapsed at the river bank. Blood pounded in his ears, and he closed his eyes as his mind began to spin.

<Hello, Fenuviel!> a familiar voice echoed in his mind. It took a moment before the Elf could gather the strength to focus enough to call back to her.
<E-Eriny...>
<What's wrong?>
<C-Come to the lake... behind the smithy... Goldshire…>

Blindly he reached into his pack for a roll of bandages, tearing it off and trying shakily to tie one about his arm. Suddenly the young dwarf was at his side, frowning at him in concern as she tied the bandage for him.

"What have you gotten yourself into?" she questioned. Fenuviel wiped the blood from his lips, trailing his hand through the water to clean it.

"Shagrath sent me on my final t-test..." he breathed heavily. Eriny frowned at him.
"To get yourself killed?" she replied skeptically. Fenuviel shook his head with a weary sigh.
"To kill Seiken... but I failed," he answered, frowning sourly at his reflection in the water. He flung his hand at the surface of the lake, distorting it. Before Eriny could respond, he felt a presence behind him, and knew immediately that his master had come. Fenuviel struggled once more to get to his feet, but could not stand straight, still holding one hand to his stomach. He limped forward, but trying to bow, had to instead lean his weight against the nearby tree to keep himself standing.

"Go," said Shagrath simply as he dismounted his saber. He sent it into the woods with a simple gesture and approached Fenuviel, though it was obvious he addressed the Awakened.
"But..." the dwarf began.
"G-Go, Eriny…" Fenuviel repeated, giving a nod. She frowned a bit, and flicked her wrist. There was a small flash of smoke, and the dwarf was gone from sight. Good girl.

Shagrath had never let his gaze leave Fenuviel, and watched him carefully now. Fenuviel forced his own gaze away though, staring at the ground as his face filled with shame.

"I am s-sorry, I failed, Master," he blurted quickly, before the other Elf could speak. A gauntleted hand came to his chin, lifting it, and Fenuviel cautiously let his gaze meet his master's again.

2. The Final Test Finalt10

"No, you did what I asked," he answered. Fenuviel's brows furrowed. He was certain Shagrath knew the outcome. He always knew these things before Fenuviel could even tell him.
"B-But... Seiken. I could not kill him," he answered quickly with a frown. Shagrath seemed to smile faintly, though Fenuviel was equally sure it might have been his imagination.
"We both knew before that fight that you could not win. But you have proven your loyalty to me," he answered.
"I w-will never betray you, Master," Fenuviel answered simply. Shagrath nodded slightly, and his glowing eyes appraised his apprentice once more, assessing the damage done. "Come," he stated firmly. "Let's get those wounds looked after. Hm. Can you walk? I suppose not,"

Shagrath took him by the good arm and pulled it around his own shoulder, half carrying and half dragging his apprentice to a safer spot. Fenuviel pondered on this. Shagrath had never sent him on a task before that he had known was impossible. And though he had failed, it dawned on him that what Shagrath had expected of him was something entirely different than what he had asked for. But he trusted his master. He would have his respect now. And that was enough.

Fenuviel lay on his back, bandaged, staring at the roof of a small house. This single thought remained in his mind as he gently patted Shagrath's wolf that lay guarding him. His eyes closed and he fell swiftly into sleep, Malevolence at his side.

< Previous  | Next >
Fenuviel/Eidan
Fenuviel/Eidan

Character sheet
Name: Fenuviel Mooncrow
Title: Watcher

Back to top Go down

2. The Final Test Empty Re: 2. The Final Test

Post by Krogon Devilstep Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:03 pm

I remember the day fondly <3 an arrow from the bushes while visiting a grave, never expected!
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Fenuviel/Eidan Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:08 pm

Haha! Very Happy Fenu: /feigndeath /it is super effective!
Fenuviel/Eidan
Fenuviel/Eidan

Character sheet
Name: Fenuviel Mooncrow
Title: Watcher

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down