Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ability Affects on a Death Knight

+27
Tachal
Tuomas/Decurius
Amaryl
Helmut
Krogon Devilstep
Coppersocket
Feral / Blackfall
Rae Wulfgnar
Beladon
Gor'Thrak Frosthowl
Ralegh
erwtenpeller
Seranita
Littlepip
Zaraj
Lavian
Drustai
Exigua
Lexgrad
Allonia_Miral
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Vaell
Thelos
Melnerag
siegmund
Kristeas Sunbinder
EShadowsong
31 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Ability Affects on a Death Knight Empty Ability Affects on a Death Knight

Post by EShadowsong Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:28 pm

More recently my character has been acting a little more on the "sinister" side.  As part of this she also finds herself in a position where others seek to deal with her in their own special ways.  This has sparked quite a few conversations on controversy on just what in-character abilities are capable of doing what to a Death Knight.  I figured that an open forum discussion on the topic might be just the thing to clear the air.  Keep in mind that most of my belief on this topic stem from the fact that Death Knights are Undead (like any ghoul you find in the game) and I consider them to have Undead traits (same as using Lichborne) as far as game mechanics since it would break them to have that in PvP.  So lets get started!

Topic 1: Psychic Attacks

Psychic attacks range in the genre of Fear, Charm, Mind Control, and Sleep.  First and foremost I completely negate any concepts that a Death Knight has "a mind" or a functional brain.  Beyond that they are trained not to Sleep and I doubt that there is much that would strike Fear that they haven't seen and Charming a Death Knight?  Silly. 

Wowpedia wrote:Undead generally are unaffected by mind affecting spells like Fear, Sleep, or Mind Control. 

If you can't do it to an Undead NPC in the game, I see no reason why a Death Knight should fall victim to such things.

Topic 2: Polymorph

Another fun little ability.  It was argued that since Death Knights are technically creates of Arcane, an Arcane spell such as polymorph would be fully effective on them.  Personally I did not agree.  The spell is able to twist and reform a creatures body, but why would an undead body be susceptible to such things.  Again, we see that Polymorph in-game cannot be used on Undead NPC.

Topic 3: Poisons/Toxins

Always a favorite of mine, as a Rogue steps up behind the Death Knight and wields some sort of debilitating poison into their system.  A system that mind you has long since died.  For some Death Knights, their blood may not even be blood but Ichor instead.  Or for Frost Knights, their blood may be frozen solid (at least that's the way I prefer it).  So what exactly is a poison going to do to something that no longer functions or is needed?  Either way I actually have a write up I used previously on the various forms of poison/toxin that touches the subject nicely:

Haemotoxins:

This attacks the blood stream causing the blood to clot, blood pressure to drop or breaks down the blood vessel to rupture and the victim to bleed out.  Being a Death Knight, you’re not going to be affected at all by a Haemotoxin.  You may have already stopped your blood flow, which means that the blood clotting won’t change anything and there is already no blood pressure.  Should the blood vessel rupture it is no different than any other wound as you don’t have any need for the blood that resided inside. 

Neurotoxins:

This attacks your nervous system and can cause various systems of your body, namely respiratory, to shut down.  Again, as a Death Knight, your bodily systems have already been shut down completely.  Though the toxin may travel through your nervous system, there is nothing that can be shut down and the dead cells of the nervous system are immune to further necrosis.  Without brain function, the neurotoxin also has no end point to attack. 

Cytotoxins:

This attacks the tissue and muscle cells of the body in an attempt to break them down and force them to undergo necrosis.  Being a Death Knight your body has undergone necrosis, but keep in mind that dead cells do rot.  A well created cytotoxin can have very negative effects on a Death Knight which may result in speeding the decay process.  Cytotoxins however can be held back, if not stopped, by using runic power to prevent the spread.  Though negating the effects is possible, it would take a massive amount of concentration and time, not something that can be done mid-fight.  It is recommended to prevent the spread and immediately remove the affected area from your body.

Topic 4: Stun/Unconsciousness

Oh how many times someone comes up and tries to blunt force trauma me into a coma like state.  Not taking into consideration that unconsciousness is caused by trauma to the brain, lowering of blood pressure, or a considerable amount of pain.  So how exactly are you planning on inflicting one of those things?  That's what I thought.  Stuns are interesting though depending on where you are coming from as a class.  Rogues abilities are my favorite, they rely on the poison or a kidney punch to stun you which as I've mentioned have no affect in my eyes.  However I would consider any type of Arcane, Necrotic, or Holy stun HIGHLY affective.  Basically anything that can react with the binding of the soul to the body will disrupt it enough that the corporeal form ceases to move.  

Just a little food for thought.  Please do not try to site in-game mechanics of what a Death Knight is susceptible too, because I do not support any non-Lichborne theories.  Death Knights are not Undead in game purely because it would be too game breaking.

EShadowsong

Back to top Go down

Ability Affects on a Death Knight Empty Re: Ability Affects on a Death Knight

Post by Kristeas Sunbinder Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:09 pm

Does Turn Evil count as a specifically anti-undead psychic attack?
Kristeas Sunbinder
Kristeas Sunbinder

Character sheet
Name: Kristeas Sunbinder
Title: Operative for Sin Belore

Back to top Go down

Post by EShadowsong Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:18 pm

Kristeas Sunbinder wrote:Does Turn Evil count as a specifically anti-undead psychic attack?

Turn Evil would completely work on a Death Knight, same with Shackle Undead that Priests use.  Basically my stance is that if it works (game mechanic wise) on an Undead NPC it works on a Death Knight in RP.

EShadowsong

Back to top Go down

Post by siegmund Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Haven't read it all yet, but mind control. Well maybe not directly but a necromancer (Stronger one for a DK) could pretty much get him in his control or something, no? Or least make something harder to do.

Edit:

Poisons and so on usually won't work i supose, then again someone more keen on magical arts and such could create a maybe more magical influenced poison, that OR why not find something that makes dead flesh decompose faster and make that into a "Poison" if you even count that as one, again it needs more thought and planing.

For unconsious or such, well Death Kngihts mainly run on Necrotic energies, well if those would be low for some reason (Or suddenly drop and the DK doesn't compensate and keeps using them up), maybe they could "pass out" or something, then again i'm just giving guesses here.

Last edited by siegmund on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
siegmund
siegmund

Back to top Go down

Post by Melnerag Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:48 pm

Necromancers can get control of undead, as shown by 'Control Undead' ability of DKs and Darkmaster Gandling's control of Voss.
Melnerag
Melnerag

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:16 pm

Melnerag wrote:Necromancers can get control of undead, as shown by 'Control Undead' ability of DKs and Darkmaster Gandling's control of Voss.

To speak in D&D terms, the higher the opponent's Willpower is, the tougher it is to dominate it - you will need a significant higher force of will than your opponent if you wish to control them, especially if they are undead with high functions of cognition and sapience. When you try to dominate an undead character that is already being controlled by another necromancer, you will probably have to beat the willpower of that necromancer.

The only thing that would be 'easy' to just go and control would be ravenous ghouls wantonly stalking the countryside who have no idea what or where they are.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:28 pm

Topic 1:
I would have to say that this one is down to the strengths of the person using such magic. Things like mind control are shadow magic and we have learnt from lore that Necromancers can quite clearly control the dead. A stronger undead might be able to resist against a Necromancer though it's a little unclear on what is possible or not. I don't think you should just rule out yourself being in a controlled position. I'd have to look into that a bit more.

Topic 2:
I'd assume this is entirely down to the fact that polymorph (correct me if i'm wrong) is transmutation magic that just alters living beings. From what magic suggests, however, nearly anything is possible if you're powerful enough. Maybe a bit of shadow magic mixed with transmutation could alter an undead. Magic is limitless, game mechanics aren't.

Topic 3:
I don't believe DKs have frozen blood. Painfully ice cold blood, sure, but if it was entirely frozen, how would they move? Also, due to the blood that runs in some DKs - it is entirely possible to create a paralysis poison to restrict their movements. Remember, don't take WoW with too much of a modern understanding of science - it's a magical world and thus magical poisons can easily exist. A poison that is blessed by the light would decimate DKs!
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Dorothee/Duvaineth Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:55 pm

Nice post. I agree with it 99.9%

The big question is can a DK live without a brain. I think they cant and the following. The dark energy all dks have to function makes their brain work in some ways. Feelings, thought, movement etc.  The necrotic energy prob makes the brain function but not as a livings would with blood etc . 

So I think if it works through magic then it can be affected by magic.

As others stated it is 100% definate necromancers and other DKs can control undead.

Sleep spells. Since Dks are capable of sleep I think it is up to the rper if such a spell would affect his toon. 

Fear spells. The scourge killed any who showed fear. I think many years have past since Dks have gained free will. Many have been among-st the living for some time. So again I think its up to the rper if his toon has become a weakling and  if such a spell would work on him. Personally I havent seen anywhere in lore that states a DK can feel fear, but I wont exclude the possibility since the ones risen and killed showed weaknesses as fear. If they could be risen with fear as an emotion maybe the ones who were not killed can regain such an emotion. Not sure was just a thought that came to me right now Razz

Spells on emotions generally. I think that a spell can bring forth any emotion that a Dk can have that lore states. For example my DK may be angry but shows no signs of slight depression or regret for killing so many innocents. I think a spell could bring such an emotion about or any emotion that lore states Dks are capable of feeling. 

If im wrong in any of this do feel free to correct me. I didnt think much before typing Razz
Dorothee/Duvaineth
Dorothee/Duvaineth

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Allonia_Miral Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:01 pm

The brain is important! Just watch zombie movies, shoot them in the head! Wink
Allonia_Miral
Allonia_Miral

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:18 pm

One thing about mind control.  If DKs can resist Mind control why were we the LKs bitches! :p
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Exigua Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:03 pm

Regardless of the effect of the toxin, it cannot effect places where it isn't present. If you get venom in a wound, then the wound may be effected, but if your blood does run, there is nothing which could spread it in the body.

If you disrupt the unholy energies which animates undead then they will be more or less stunned. To my knowledge the brain isn't vital for an undead (there are walking skeletons) but the spine is.
Exigua
Exigua

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:08 pm

Exigua wrote:If you disrupt the unholy energies which animates undead then they will be more or less stunned. To my knowledge the brain isn't vital for an undead (there are walking skeletons) but the spine is.
I have no idea where this belief comes from. There is nothing in lore indicating that the spine is a weak point. While there is lore indicating that damage to the head is an instant fatality (one bullet to the head killed Sylvanas).

I'll respond to other stuff later.
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Exigua Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:06 pm

Drustai wrote:
Exigua wrote:If you disrupt the unholy energies which animates undead then they will be more or less stunned. To my knowledge the brain isn't vital for an undead (there are walking skeletons) but the spine is.
I have no idea where this belief comes from. There is nothing in lore indicating that the spine is a weak point. While there is lore indicating that damage to the head is an instant fatality (one bullet to the head killed Sylvanas).

I'll respond to other stuff later.
I don't believe walking skeletons have a brain. If this is true, then the brain itself can't be vital. Though heavy trauma to the head may distupt the unholy magics enough to kill them. Note that I'm not saying the head isn't important, but that the brain isn't.

To elaborate on the spine part, I think it would be vital for distributing the necrotic energy from the head to the rest of the body. May be wrong on it though...

Last edited by Exigua on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:12 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added the second paragraph)
Exigua
Exigua

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:08 pm

TBH there is no answer really, there is so little lore on the necro-biology of DKs.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:20 am

Topic 3:
I don't believe DKs have frozen blood. Painfully ice cold blood, sure, but if it was entirely frozen, how would they move? Also, due to the blood that runs in some DKs - it is entirely possible to create a paralysis poison to restrict their movements. Remember, don't take WoW with too much of a modern understanding of science - it's a magical world and thus magical poisons can easily exist. A poison that is blessed by the light would decimate DKs!

Icebound Fortitude: The Death Knight freezes her blood to become immune to Stun effects and reduce all damage taken by 20% for 12 sec.

However in addition to all this I am under the impression Death Knight's can be stunned through muscle spasm, perhaps through electrical charges.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet
Name: Lavian
Title: Dread Knight

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:40 am

Lexgrad wrote:One thing about mind control.  If DKs can resist Mind control why were we the LKs bitches! :p

Because the Lich King was a very powerful necromancer.

...Which is the understatement of the year, really. The Lich King was divine levels of powerful when it comes to necromancy. The Lich King was to the Scourge what the Overmind was to the Zerg.
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zaraj Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:52 am

To be frank, there are so many instances of dubious storytelling and the defiling of lore in Wrath of the Lich King that I'd not think too deeply on any of them, including the part that allows us to roll Death Knights in the Alliance or Horde.

Also, I wouldn't either say that game mechanics are really a solid source for how the Warcraft lore works. While I agree with most of the guide, this thing about how the blood works due to a spell like Icebound Fortitude seems a bit far-fetched, same with how poison can run through a DK if they don't have a normal blood flow etc. Both of the cases are just game mechanics, imo, same with how one can spam blood boil on enemies to seemingly no avail.

That said, I'd say it most likely has to do whether the death knight is actually undead or not. While it seems that most were killed/raised, making them normal undeads, there could be those who willingly gave their soul to the Lich King. Arthas for instance, as far as I know, never actually died but he was instead soulless, which allowed Sylvanas' poison to function against him like on any other human.
Zaraj
Zaraj

Back to top Go down

Post by Thelos Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:06 pm

[quote="Zaraj"
That said, I'd say it most likely has to do whether the death knight is actually undead or not. While it seems that most were killed/raised, making them normal undeads, there could be those who willingly gave their soul to the Lich King. Arthas for instance, as far as I know, never actually died but he was instead soulless, which allowed Sylvanas' poison to function against him like on any other human.[/quote]

This is a good point.

Considering the majority of model and skin options for death knight characters use healthy, living flesh, I'd say there's a fair chance that there are quite a few of these living death knights running about.

Having said that though, I don't think players are very keen on playing them, considering that takes away one of the things that makes playing a Death Knight interesting in the first place (mainly the chance to play an undead version of a race of your choosing).
Thelos
Thelos

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:13 pm

It is more a case of what makes sense for RP I Feel, if you try to knock a dk out with a stick that doesnt make much sense, if you use a stick that disrupts necrotic magic then I would buy that, as I would an arcane/light attack that does the same. 

Just make the thing sound right and it should be enough Smile

@ the Squidtrain - Yeah Razz
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:16 pm

IDK about living undead really, their souls are removed and if that isnt a definition of death I do not know what is.  perhaps they die and dont even notice it?

But Arthas was v dead in WotLK, he removed his heart.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Littlepip Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:46 pm

First of all I wonder how much that must have hurt..

Second I have to say I love this topic since it explains to people that they shouldn't start bitching about it if their poison don't work on a Death Knight.
Littlepip
Littlepip

Character sheet
Name: Littlepip
Title: Runemage

http://the-adventures-of-roleplay.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Vaell Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:18 pm

People are too caught up in reality. Remember, this is a world where people can whip fire out of their arses, summon portals to different planets, long distance space travel, heal DEATH, walk around after being raised as an undead etc.

Creating a magical poison wouldn't exactly be a long stretch. DKs are strong, yes, but please remember that the Alliance and Horde managed to crush the Undead - along with many DKs - so there has been plenty of time to create things to slow them down/hurt them. If you're a DK, don't run around like you're a Super Saiyan!

Also, if we go by the logic that the skill to freeze your blood prevents you from being stunned, then we have to assume that a DK can be stunned. You can't just pick and choose which bit of the skill you like.
Vaell
Vaell

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:23 pm

People should remember this is RP more than a system to test lore principles.  Tho in the past people have got annoyed when lex wouldnt be knocked out by their blows to the back of the head.  I think people should plan abot more too, So often you get "I am usung DK poison or I use my bottle of holy water/Blessed weapon".  In context that your char is going out to hunt a DK, that makes sense, but at a random moment just to give you a weapon in a random fight the idea is somewhat laughable at times.
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:58 pm

after monny's close call she now carries with her something of any sort to deal with dk's should her situation arise again,.. but yes I agree that at large dk's are un stunnable by physical means unless its a full decapitation.. poisons unless specified in the emote its used as a dk one .. will not work
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Drustai Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:26 pm

Okay, a more full post:

Psychic Effects:
Psychic Effects are typically possible, but not in their base form. Often you need undead-specific variants of psychic spells if you want to target undead. Mind Control and Control Undead, for example, being two different spells--though Priests have apparently learned how to expand the capabilities of their Mind Control to now allow it to affect undead so that's no longer relevant.

Charm and fear typically don't work, but I'm fairly sure you could alter the spells to target a sapient undead's unique makeup. Afterall, sapient undead still have their own personalities, and those personalities make them susceptible. They lack a strong emotional center, but that doesn't mean they can't be charmed or feared with the right persuasion or spell. Mindless undead, of course, are completely immune, with the exception of Holy spells.

Sleep. I prefer the idea that undead can't sleep, and so default sleep spells fail. But like everything, there are always exceptions. One just has to find the right kind of spell to initiate a "sleep-like" state in an undead creature (something like torpor from WoD). We know certain undead have natural abilities to enter sleep-like states (Gargoyles, probably San'layn due to their being vampires), so it's not out of the realm of possibility.

The main problem with undead isn't that these things aren't possible, it's that they have an entirely different kind of physical makeup when compared to a living creature. Thus spells designed to target living creatures don't work. You have to alter and rebuild the spell so that it accounts for the differences inherent in an unliving organism (for the most part, switching to attacking the soul rather than organic systems).

Holy spells, of course, bypass things completely and shoot straight to the soul, thus enabling them to work flawlessly.

Polymorph:
Typically doesn't work, but like in all things I'm sure you could develop a variant designed specifically for undead. I always forget about this one, though, so Dru's been polymorphed a couple of times even though she shouldn't have been. <.<

Poison:
Physical poison that targets unessential organic components like the heart or nervous system fails. Cytotoxins/acids work, because they dissolve flesh and bone. Magical poisons work, because they travel through the spirit, not the blood, and attack the magic holding the undead together. Rogues, being partial magic-users themselves and heroic-level characters overall, almost certainly use magical poison. This is WoW. Magic is everywhere. There are probably more kinds of magical poison than physical poison. Remember, we use alchemy, not chemistry. Alchemy is by its definition a spiritual/magical science. (Alchemy definition: "A science that sought to transform one chemical element into another through a combination of magic and primitive chemistry.")

Stuns:
Anything aimed at disrupting the nervous system fails, as undead do not need their nervous system. Strikes to the head will not stun or knock an undead creature unconscious. (evidence of this: Sap doesn't work on undead, to my understanding)

Targeted attacks that focus on debilitating specific parts of an undead will work. Slicing a hamstring will reduce that undead's ability to move (unless they're a skeletal undead, which utilize a magical method of locomotion instead of reanimated muscle). Breaking bones will destroy the use of that limb. Slicing a throat will prevent the verbal incantations required for spellcasting.

And of course, spell-based stuns which target the soul will certainly work. Dru's been stunned by magical effects before, even though she shrugs off physical stuns.

As for living DKs: Player DKs are dead. Even second generation DKs eventually go undead... there is not a single living DK in WoW, even among the ones who willingly gave themselves over. Even Arthas eventually went undead. A new DK might remain living for awhile, but any DK whose been around for years should be certifiably undead.

Last edited by Drustai on Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:02 pm; edited 7 times in total
Drustai
Drustai

Character sheet
Name: Archmage Drustai
Title: The Necromancer

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next