Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Less thread locking

+4
Cathee Norris
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Zalissa
Raenmar
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Less thread locking Empty Less thread locking

Post by Raenmar Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Threads always get locked when they're getting interesting imo.

Even threads for genuinely good ideas or topics for discussion get locked because people get butthurt and rage because people backed up their opinions and ideas with logic and reasoning.

Just saying maybe it's better to tell people to gtfo when they start raging, and accept a conflict of ideas in a thread instead of locking it.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet
Name: Raenmar Alric
Title: Commander, Druid of the Wild

http://gilneas.guildlaunch.com

Back to top Go down

Less thread locking Empty Re: Less thread locking

Post by Guest Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:53 pm

inB4TL

Back to top Go down

Post by Zalissa Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:53 pm

Raenmar wrote:
Just saying maybe it's better to tell people to gtfo when they start raging, and accept a conflict of ideas in a thread instead of locking it.

oh because that's never worked before.
Zalissa
Zalissa

Character sheet
Name: Zalissa Sparrow
Title: The Pirate Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:56 pm

because that's never worked before.

If I recall correctly you told me to gtfo because I had a different opinion
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:58 pm

everyone seems to do that to you raenmar

your just misunderstood i guess

Back to top Go down

Post by Zalissa Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:59 pm

perturbo wrote:everyone seems to do that to you raenmar

yep that must be it.
Zalissa
Zalissa

Character sheet
Name: Zalissa Sparrow
Title: The Pirate Princess

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:01 pm

perturbo wrote:everyone seems to do that to you raenmar

I would disagree but then the thread would get locked
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Swan Emperor Arenfel Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:05 pm

Threads are usually locked by a moderator on request from the original creator of the thread in question.
There is a difference in stating your opinion, and having a seven page conflict over why your opinion is dominant over another individuals.
Swan Emperor Arenfel
Swan Emperor Arenfel

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:05 pm

I will quote the forum rules here:

1. Here at DefiasRP we aim to have discussions and debates surrounding many subjects (RP or otherwise) and understand that at times these discussions can become heated. We would ask that discussions remain civil at the best of times, with all criticism given in a constructive manner.

What you can expect from a moderator: If a discussion has become heated and the various participants resort to mud-slinging and insults, a moderator will step in and attempt to quell such acts. This can be anything from a simple post, asking those involved to calm down, a clean up of a thread or a simple lock if the moderator deems the "subject" closed.

If a moderator has simply posted and asked people to calm down and people persist, or openly attack the moderator for his/her post, these individuals will be contacted via PM and potentially given a warning if the situation requires it.

The OP of any thread can contact said moderator to discuss a re-opening of the thread if he/she desires such.

As mentioned in the rules, a thread will be locked if the topic is finished (and a argument or something has sparked in it). A topic which contains good discussions rile up, it may be locked for a time if people do not stop after a moderator has stepped in. However, such topics can of course be unlocked after the off-topic arguments between two (or more) people have been removed since arguments are - and I cannot stress this enough - have no place here in the open. People can solve that through PMs.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Name: Cathee Piner
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Jumping down and locking threads because people are bickering pointlessly is the exact definition of a moderator's job. The last thread (which I'm sure produced this one) had a topic, which was discussed and the OP was informed of why they weren't able to do the particular thing they enquired about.

If it can be fixed, it has already been said that it would be.

It was locked because people were just flinging insults at each other.

Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet
Name: Ledgic Kaden Caan
Title: Leader of The Old Town Syndicate

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:13 pm

There is a difference in stating your opinion, and having a seven page conflict over why your opinion is dominant over another individuals

If we aren't allowed to discuss what we think makes our opinion is dominant, what's the point in having an opinion? How can you even form an opinion in the first place?

But people will just find another thread to insult each other in (à la "Do you mean Raenmar, Monrena?" in a thread I hadn't even posted in :3 )

Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:16 pm

And? Then the moderator will move over there and stop it just as they did in the original thread.

What you're suggesting is essentially just letting people fling mountains of shit at each other, creating pages of useless crap, just because you don't want to see threads locked. How on earth is that beneficial to anyone?

Last edited by Ledgic Caan on Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:16 pm

Raenmar wrote:
There is a difference in stating your opinion, and having a seven page conflict over why your opinion is dominant over another individuals

If we aren't allowed to discuss what we think makes our opinion is dominant, what's the point in having an opinion? How can you even form an opinion in the first place?

But people will just find another thread to insult each other in (à la "Do you mean Raenmar, Monrena?" in a thread I hadn't even posted in :3 )

Doesn't mean we should just stop caring and let people insult each others as they please. And that is also why we have moderators and forum-rules.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:17 pm

Doesn't mean we should just stop caring and let people insult each others as they please. And that is also why we have moderators and forum-rules.

That's not what I'm suggesting. I'm just saying locking threads just lead to more bumbling hatred in another thread and is ineffective.

What you're suggesting is essentially just letting people fling mountains of shit at each other, creating pages of useless crap, just because you don't want to see threads locked. How on earth is that beneficial to anyone?

This is also not what I'm suggesting, fun as it may sound.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:21 pm

Okay. So, locking threads leads to more bumbling hatred in another thread.

Yet locking threads that have bumbling hatred within them, constantly, for -pages- is not the answer?

Locking threads is our way of nipping an argument before it escalates to a point where we have no choice but to throw warnings and bans around. This is something we really hate having to do.

We can't control the way people feel about each other, so, all we have is locking down these threads that spiral into stupidity, completely away from the original subject.

That is not going to change.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:22 pm

Raenmar wrote:

That's not what I'm suggesting. I'm just saying locking threads just lead to more bumbling hatred in another thread and is ineffective.

This is also not what I'm suggesting, fun as it may sound.

Locking threads are usually not what first happen (unless it is a topic which is finished). A moderator first tells people to drop it. If this does not happen there is no other option then to lock a thread to prevent more argument-spams to occur and send off possible warnings. If people then persist, according to the forum-rules bans will be put up for a period of time. It is actually the most efficient way there is and I have personally not seen this not working. It has been very, very few times where a post with an argument has been locked has been taken into another thread. I don't believe we can even count that on our two hands during the three years the forum has been active.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:26 pm

I'm not saying the argument spills into another thread, just the same people have a different argument in a different thread.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Ledgic Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:27 pm

Yes, and we'll take care of it when that happens as well. Jesus.
Ledgic
Ledgic

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Cathee Norris Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:28 pm

Thats what the warning system is there for. Warnings get piled up and eventually people get bans which gets longer if they keep at it.

Since we have yet to ban anyone with this new system I don't believe this is the case though. Tension at times, yes. But not full blown out arguments, those are quite rare for a forum this size.
Cathee Norris
Cathee Norris

Character sheet
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:28 pm

But then more threads get locked instead of fulfilling their potential as riveting discussions
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexgrad Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:02 am

Could try working as a team for a common purpose instead of angry little rat bags all the time. Also a 3 month limmit to the amount of time a grudge can last would be nice Smile
Lexgrad
Lexgrad

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:32 am

Raenmar wrote:

im a little behind here but as far as I am aware.. the only person i have ever insultes was someone who admitted to being a spy for the likes of a bunch of campers.. if a discussion gets too heated I will usualy leave.. If I se etow others going at each other I will try and lighten the mood.. but again.. if this fails.. I will leave.. I have as far as I am aware never forced my oppinion uppon anybody and never will.. as if you force your oppinion on others then you deny them of there opinion with the end result in making you the hipocrit which is very ironic all cases considering.. Now If in future you have a problem with somehting I have or have not done.. could you please contact me in pm first befor blabing me out in a forum tyring to make me appear like the bad guy... I allong with manny of the silent others am sick to the back teath of the constant bickering the select few keep causing.. and to be honest.. I would suspend you ephitos and a couple of others for an X amount of time.. (that is if i was a mod which i am not so am left to suffer wahcing those select few ruin threads i enjoy watching) as most of the hate and "forced" oppinions come from you chaps..

Last edited by Monrena on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:39 am

but on another note.. I am in favour of thread locking when disscussions get out of hand.. My only jipp is that they are not locked sooner.. if people realise that arguments lead to swift disscussion closures.. then they will be forced to change there attitude to each other

aka discuss like civil people instead of toddlers in a sand pit throwing bricks
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Raenmar Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:48 am

Now If in future you have a problem with somehting I have or have not done.. could you please contact me in pm first befor blabing me out in a forum tyring to make me appear like the bad guy...

You misunderstood. I was quoting Zalissa's response to your post in another thread. It wasn't aimed at you.

as most of the hate

Not my fault I'm a naturally hateful person. Don't discriminate Sad

"forced" oppinions

Giving reasons for your opinion isn't forcing it on someone, it's demonstrating why your opinion isn't retarded and/or why the other person's is.
Raenmar
Raenmar

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:09 am

when you fight tooth and nail to give every reason under the sun why your opinion and yours only is the correct one.. that makes it a forced opinion as you are not willing to open your mind and listen to others opinions.. that is what makes it forced... and besides this thread is not for that discussion so I will talk about this no more.
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next