Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's in the Cathedral of Light?

+2
Seranita
Jemerick
6 posters

Go down

What's in the Cathedral of Light? Empty What's in the Cathedral of Light?

Post by Jemerick Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:05 am

I've been thinking about this recently. We can't see much other than some basic furnitures. But maybe it was meant to be different, as other parts of the game, just the developers didn't put much emphatise on it.

What i'm wondering about is, if it's any similar to RL churches of Europe, which are usually overly decorated and rich inside. And if so what do you think what kind of things are and how does it look like inside the Cathedral? And where those items come from? The donations of the nobles, and the good-willed poor, thinking one day they might get repayed in one way or another? Or maybe, it was meant to be plain looking and simple, because that's how it is.

I personally believe it to be the first version. But i can imagine that it's different from server to server, depending what Light-based guilds concider how they work and what they use the gathered donation ICly.

----------
I asked this on the RP forum as well, but since many stated they don't read official forum i thought to ask here too.
Jemerick
Jemerick

Back to top Go down

What's in the Cathedral of Light? Empty Re: What's in the Cathedral of Light?

Post by Seranita Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:29 am

well I personaly see it as the same as your catherdral that i have visited a few times It even has a crypt!!!
What's in the Cathedral of Light? York210
What's in the Cathedral of Light? York_310What's in the Cathedral of Light? York110
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:44 am

I wrote a whole wall of text, than my internet decided to fail me..

It basicly came down to: Isn't there a description of the cathedral in one of the books?

If not: On what church is the Church of the (un)holy (heretic, non-Elune) Light based? It makes a diffrence if it's a catholic or a protestant church.

Personally I think Blizzard has not given it much though and went with a more catholic (or in fact Anglican, which isn't catholic, but building-wise and interior-wise it is, sorta) style. These are the styles that spring to mind when you think of cathedrals, non?

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:52 am

indeed likewise.. I beleve if i am not mistaken this cathedral was catholicism but im not certain..
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Jemerick Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:26 pm

"your cathedral" - How do you mean?

But all right, so you say they're as plain as we see. Hmm.. have to find another reason to hate them.
Jemerick
Jemerick

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:15 pm

I think the folk above were actually saying that they imagined the inside to be more rich than plain.

As for me, well -- I imagine it being less plain than in game, naturally, but the Light being the emphasis, I do think it's important that it's a spacious, airy building, rather than having the soft, dark, candlelit atmosphere that many a European cathedral has.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:10 am

It's an interesting question. An important bit to remember when drawing inspiration is that while the Church of the Light looks like the christian churches... it is very much akin to Buddhism or Taoism in creed. So pagodas and tao monasteries ought to be viable inspirations as well.

There are six cathedrals in the game: Cathedral of Light, Stormwind. Light's Dawn Cathedral, Gilneas. The Scarlet Monastery's Cathedral Wing, Tirisfal. Hall of Mysteries, Ironforge (which actually lacks two towers and thus technically isn't a cathedral). Scarlet Bastion, Stratholme (which again lacks the towers and thus isn't really a cathedral). The Scarlet Basilica, Tyr's Hand (which has two towers but no dome and is thus a cathedral and not a basilica).

Of these six, four are lavishly decorated: Scarlet Monastery, Hall of Myseries, Light's Dawn and Scarlet Bastion (formerly Silver Hand Bastion), and two are crisp and clean: Cathedral of Light and the Scarlet Basilica.
However, both Stormwind and Tyr's Hand was razed by the Horde. Whereas the other four cities were, at most, only attacked. Which could explain why they are more decorated, simply by virtue of being older.

Even so, all decoration is simply architectural or painted glass. All Cathedrals, save Light's Dawn, is built in marble (or possibly just white stone). Even the Ironforge one is rather clearly built, rather that cut out from the stone, seeing it's white to the Ironforge roof's grey.
But apart from that there's no pictures, no clear writing or anything such. Even the painted glass windows is little more than beautiful patterns. Which hints more of mosques or synagoges than churches, except possibly reformed churches.
The same clear and crisp style is also evident in the abbeys we find throughout Azeroth.

This to me suggests that the places of worship has less emphasis on pictures and more on architecture. That you simply won't find elaborate murals depicting sacred mythology or massive paintings of the men and women of the Light.

As for what can be found within. We do have example of at least one cathedral having pews, and indeed, it'd be silly if they didn't have it. From the Argent Crusade we see confessions which makes me think there'd be confessional booths as well.
In addition the cathedral ought to have sacresties (changing rooms and offices of the higher clergy), side-chapels (and indeed we do have one, used to be two) and we already know of the crypts.
There's two towers, which would need stairwells and probably bell-halls. If there isn't a separate building for the homes of the clergy (and no such building can be seen) then I presume that there'll also be lodgings for the people working in the cathedral. Probably downstairs (or above the side-chapels, perhaps).

All in all I expect it a large building capable of holding perhaps up to a thousand visitors at mass.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:44 pm

^.^ *points to previous post* bingo lol
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:56 pm

There's loads of little boys in the cathedral.. *coughs*

I agree with Gahalla. Smile

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Mandui Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:15 pm

Drefurion wrote:There's loads of little boys in the cathedral.. *coughs*
They all belong to Fortesgue. He who dares touching them turns into ashes. I've seen this happen with my very eyes.
Mandui
Mandui

Back to top Go down

Post by Jemerick Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:29 pm

Probably i wasn't clear, but i more meant the richness and plainess of the place. But as i pointed out i like to think it, as well, to be more rich than plain.

Nontheless interesting points you made there Gahalla, even though my knowledge about the topic doesn't even scar the surface of yours.
Jemerick
Jemerick

Back to top Go down

Post by Dréfurion Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:06 pm

Mandui wrote:
Drefurion wrote:There's loads of little boys in the cathedral.. *coughs*
They all belong to Fortesgue. He who dares touching them turns into ashes. I've seen this happen with my very eyes.

I might have to come to Stormwind now and try this out.

Dréfurion

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down