Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Lion and the Serpent - Chapter Five: Teacher

2 posters

Go down

The Lion and the Serpent - Chapter Five: Teacher Empty The Lion and the Serpent - Chapter Five: Teacher

Post by Krogon Devilstep Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:41 pm

The cold touch of mountain air, he had not felt it like this is many years. The month of December brought a strange tranquil silence to this place in-between the snow storms and blizzards. A serene pinnacle on top of the world, where thick snow blanketed the ground, and ice covered the lakes, streams and rivers. The pines of the mountain stood as vibrant and strong as they did nearly 25 years before. His home away from home, he’d never forgotten the lessons he’d been taught in the snow of Dun Morogh as a boy.

“I need to go visit an old friend...” whispered Seiken with his frozen voice, stopping his horse abruptly; it neighed uncomfortably stomping upon the snow with its hooves. Turning slowly in his saddle, he looked behind him to whoever he was talking too. Below him down the winding road was a long column of some forty mounted individuals, clad in red and white but covered in animal pelts for warmth. They brought wagons full of crates and hefty packs upon their backs, armed with spear, sword and shield. Though directly behind him and leading the group, rode Trohad and Arador as ever. The column stopped without word, Trohad and Arador slowing their pace then stopping beside the Prince.

“Ya gonna be long? We need to get on tha tram soon” Arador spoke slowly, the cold air seeming to have slowed even his voice, though the suspicious tone was not lost. The Hawk like blue eyes of the warrior looked up the slope ahead of the column, smiling as he gazed at the monumental and mighty gate of Ironforge.

“head to Stormwind without me, I’ll be there by morning" coughed out Seiken, his frost touched throat aching with the cold. Smooth jets of frosted breath came from his mouth and nose as he breathed in and out, Time passing wearily in the low temperature.

“Well if ya say so, just don’t go getting lost or freezing to death... I’ll go have a word with tha dwarves while we are here!” announced Trohad, who trotted off up toward the gate, only the sight of a thick grey bear pelt upon a horse as he disappeared off up and round the top turn of the road.

“Hrm, well he’s cheered up. See ya in the morning then...” grunted Arador, his weariness from a long days ride visible for all to see. Nodding once to Seiken he raised his arm and gestured up the road for all behind him to see. The column jolted into life once more, shivering forward up the road, led by Arador. A small crowd of dwarves had even gathered at the top level of the road, looking down on them. An array of brown, red, black and grey bearded figures. Pointing and shrugging at what approached their city.

Turning his horse about, Seiken spurred it forward and down the slope at a steady trotting pace. Before long he reached the bottom, and followed the road over the small bridge heading south, a sign post clearly marking the direction led to ‘Kharnos’.

It’s been such a long time since I visited him last, he’ll no doubt be in a grumpy mood as ever. If I’m lucky I’ll catch him fishing, if I’m unlucky I’ll wake him by accident. Then it will be down the hillside with a swift kick again...

The thought jogged along in his mind as he rode on, Kharnos now coming into sight in the distance. The ever visible plume of dark black smoke rising from the smithy could be spotted miles away.

Now, let’s see, was it south west or North West from the north entrance to the village... no, it’s directly west and into the valleys.

Stopping himself at the entrance to town he looked it over a moment. It was quiet, no doubt the locals, wanting to escape the cold winter air, were enjoying a few warm frothy pints in the inn. Dismounting his horse and tying it up hastily at the sign post just outside the town’s north entrance, he looked out west. The towering snow coated hills of the mountain top looked a challenging climb as ever. If it wasn’t for the small gaps between the gigantic obstacles, traversing Dun Morogh would be near impossible if not for the valleys in-between.

Setting off across the tundra, leaving the road behind, he moved slowly... each step requiring excessive effort due to the deep snow. Passing through the small gatherings of pines, crossing a frozen river, avoiding starving wolves... all in seamless silence as the hours dragged on.

Having lost track of time, and with only the swift wail of the mountain winds to stop him going mad, he came to the centre of a valley. Behind him lay the pass he entered by, to the west was another pass leading out onto open ground. To the south was another more narrow entrance between two steep hills, littered with patches of small pine trees.

I can almost smell him; he’s in his old den I think. Best to advance slowly or he may mistake me for an intruder...

Turning south, the prince marched on at the same dogged pace, passing between the two hills. No sooner had he entered the secluded valley did it begin to snow. At first small flakes falling gracefully from the sky, then a steady downpour of white droplets hazing the view in the distance. Before long it was apparent a blizzard was in full swing, as it became hard to see much beyond ten paces, the howling of the wind sending a shiver up his spine while even the mighty rays of the sun couldn’t pierce the swirling madness of the falling snow.

Covering his face with his hand, he pulled a crimson cowl over his head, trying to keep out the numbing chill of the wind and mask his face from the snowy bombardment. Twisting and turning he looked around desperately, searching for any familiar sights or landmarks. But he could see nothing but trees and a haze of white all around. He was lost.

Cursed memory, it has been too long since I was here. As a boy you would have remembered this place like the back of your hand, even in a snow storm. Think now, think. We have been going straight south, if we head west again we’ll run into the hill side and safety... go!

He dragged his aching feet around to his right, blind willpower pushing him onward, the bitter cold biting at his limbs as the storm intensified. With each pace his energy drained, and his feet began to drag. Minutes seeming like hours as the cold fury of the snow storm continued.

Onward, always onward, push your mind and the body will follow. There is no pain, only numbness... no! Wake up, snap out of it you fool, you can’t go back now, the only way is forward!

He dug deep, trying to summon what strength he could, but his body was failing. Gritting his teeth he gave himself one more push, remembering his vow to the clansman... he had an oath to keep, an oath of revenge. There! That fire inside again, the warming heat spurring him on. His limbs loosened from the grip of the cold, speeding his pace a little.

The wind continued to howl, though the storm got no worse, the sound in the hills changed. The blasting screech of the mountain air was surpassed by a far louder, deeper cry. A roar in the distance, deep and menacing it echoed from hill to hill, sounding all around him. The menacing roar resembled that of a bear, but far more powerful, the direction it came from uncertain.

Spinning around, Seiken tried to spot what followed him in the storm, the snow blinding his vision as he held tightly onto his cowl, trying to stop his face from freezing further.

Where are you...? I know your here, you’re always here. Don’t toy with me!

He tried to let forth his own mighty roar, but his lungs burned from the touch of icy air, letting forth nothing more than a gaping gasp. Meanwhile the roaring snarling sound of the beast approached, echoing and moving as if it was all around him.

He glanced sharply to his left, catching sight of movement in the distance, but it was hidden away again in the snowy haze before he could do anything. A shadow, a dark furry shadow.

Don’t draw your sword; he’ll only hurt you more...

He loosened the grip in his hands, keeping them away from the silver-sword at his side, reflex would have had him draw it immediately, but he knew better than to provoke things in this situation.

Slowly looking ahead again, stood perfectly still, he tried to listen for what stalked him. all he could hear was the shrill howl of the winds, the growling had stopped...

Crash, it collided with his back. Knocking him down face first into the snow. He tried to look up, but before he could sight anything he felt a brutal blow to his stomach, a kick into his side had thrown him off the ground with great strength some fifteen paces through the air, crashing into the snow again on his back.

Coughing and wheezing, he looked up in the direction of his attacker. The shape of a bear advanced toward him, its black fur distinguishable through the murky haze of the fast falling snow. As it slowly grew closer it became apparent it was only some five feet tall, standing upon its back legs. Covered in black bear fur, wearing what looked like the mask of a Roaring bear, came a male Dwarf. His thick black beard ran down from under the mask to his waist, two red sharp eyes locked on its prey, peering through the eye holes of the feral face cover.

“Must we do this every time I visit you!?” Seiken coughed, holding his chest as he lifted himself up onto one knee.

The Dwarf Roared under its bear mask, the deep and surprisingly loud noise bouncing off the hills with great ferocity and power.

“I’ll stop, just as soon as ya stop being an easy target!” roared the dwarf in reply, brushing two axes at his sides before folding his arms across his black fur covered chest. The snow storm now began to die down rapidly, slowing to a steady descent of far and few between lone flakes.
Least he didn’t break your arm this time... this time.

“So what do ya want runt? I’m supposed ta be hibernatin and you come botherin me in me valley...” the dwarf continued to snarl as he removed his bear mask. His now exposed face was covered in pale skin, a stark contrast to his bloodshot angry ayes and thick jet black beard.

Seiken sighed slowly, lifting himself to his feet. Though he now towered above the dwarf, he kept his eyes locked firmly at his attackers feet, purposely avoiding his angry eyes.

“I need advice Thirien...” murmured the prince.

“Advice!? Don’t ya have them dopey magi and wise ones for that!? I teach fighters! Nay tell fortunes!” Thirien growled once more, his eyes narrowing like a predator ready for the kill.

“I wouldn’t have come if it was urgent!” snapped Seiken back, looking up... then straight down again.

The Dwarf snorted in his annoyance that was all too clear. He stared up at the prince with those ever angry eyes. After some moment passed he simply shrugged and gestured with his head, as if to say ‘Follow me’, walking off toward the direction of the western hill. Seiken looked up sharply, sighing with relief he followed on a few paces behind.

As they walked on, he couldn’t help but notice how the dwarf walked effortlessly across the snow, smiling as he saw his old teacher still left no tracks, seeming to weigh nothing as each footstep didn’t sink into, drag upon or even tarnish the smooth tundra snow.

The ground quickly took to an incline, they weaved their way up shallow then steep snow covered slopes. The journey felt as if it had taken minutes, but in reality the hour had passed by like a tranquil dream, the gentle and steady fall of the snow adding to the seamless beauty of the landscape. As they finally reached the summit of the massive hill, Seiken let a small gasp of awe escape his tired lungs as he looked over the view beyond.

Even after twenty years that view... is always a warm and welcome surprise.

The view was of a mighty red sun setting through far western hills of the mountain range, rays of red and orange piercing the snowy peaks and reflecting miraculously off a frozen lake in a dance of various warming colours. The giant snow covered pines dotted around the landscape remained stoically still, while their shadows shifted and danced as the sun plummeted.

“Seems ya’ll be stayin tha night then, not safe to travel in the dark at this time o’year. Don’t want you caught in another snow storm!” coughed Thirien, chuckling almost mockingly as he followed the narrow path on the hill to a left, and into a cave entrance facing the sunset.

Always grumpy, always so dammed grumpy. Why can’t you get drunk like other dwarves hey? Instead of being sober and annoyed all the dam fekkin ti-
“...If you’ll let me stay in the old cave one night, then sure” muttered Seiken with mouse like obedience, still facing the sun just as it disappeared behind the mountains, a dark gloom slowly descending over the mountains. Thirien could always hear what he said no matter how loud he said it. Uncanny, unnatural senses for a dwarf of over three hundred.

A mumbled and groaning voice echoed from inside the dark cave, the sound of stones smashing together could be heard, “suppose ya planned it, didn’t ya? Stay here tha night so I had to listen to ya ramble on!” he finished, grumbling curses under his breath before what sounded like a fire starting was heard. The warm glow of a fire growing and flickering in the cave entrance.

Seiken curled a small smile on his mouth as he turned and approached the cave entrance... brushing the snow and ice off of his armour and cloak. His arms and legs ached with soreness and exhaustion from the hazardous winter trek, but at least there was a fire now.

Turning into the cave he found the Bear wearing dwarf sat muttering to himself as he placed a full Boar, complete with a spear through its neck, over the fire. The cave was adorned with various small boxes, crates and weapons, a pile of dry thick blankets piled into a bed in a small corner at the back.
“Think I nay threw tha spear hard enough on this one. Only got stuck, nay took the dam swine’s ‘ead off!” growled the dwarf to himself, trying to jimmy his spear from the neck of the dead black Boar. With a sudden snap, the spear came free under the force of the dwarf’s giant hands, disfiguring the backbone of the pig as it did so.

He’ll never change...

Planting himself down with a thud next to the fire, Seiken removed his gauntlets and bracers, trying to warm his blistered and frozen hands.
“so what ya want ta talk about then ya numb skull?” groaned the dwarf, sitting on a thick black bear hide for comfort, his strained old eyes locking onto the prince with a degree of curiosity rather than annoyance for once.

“Well...” Seiken muttered, but before he could start he winced in pain. Dammed frostbite had kicked in on his hands; sharply pulling them away from the fire he rubbed them together to ease the pain.

“Bah, ya wuss! Cough it up!” yelled the dwarf, baring his yellow teeth with a snarl.

Seiken sighed; it wasn’t a good start for his story. Summing up his thoughts for a moment he considered the question, all the while under Thirien’s increasingly annoyed stare.

“I need your advice, Teacher. An enemy of my friend walked into his house, killing and torturing his family ... he also left mocking insults of his honour, what should he do?” He sputtered out almost stuttering, a chill breeze casting a shiver up his spine.

The dwarf stared at him for a time, his eyes narrowed but his mind in deep thought. After what seemed a good five minutes, a simple reply came... “That be it? Ya came all tha way for that!?” he growled, his temper flaring.

“Sorry teacher! It is much worse, that was just another way of putting it!” coughed Seiken, a sense of long forgotten obedience creeping over him.

“I nay taught you to be a fool Seiken, so don’t treat me like one. I know whets been goin on up north, tha wind and tha eagles be telling me...” growled Thirien through his teeth.

Seiken blinked in astonishment, surprised at the revelation. But as he composed his thoughts, he wasn’t all that shocked, infact he’d come to expect such things from the wily old mountain goat.

“your enemy aint stupid, Seiken, that was your mistake. Thinking they were simple brutes...” the dwarf began, as he poked the Boar spinning over the fire. The smell of roasted pork wafting through the cave in all its mouth watering splendour.

“You can beat them in open battle. Woopedy friggin doo, but they can beat you in ways that really hurt...just a question of winning tha war, not just the battle” the dwarf finished, folding his arms as he fixed his stare into the flames of the camp fire.

He’s right. He’s always right about these things. You was foolish to think you could beat them into destruction outside their dammed jungle. Using battle as a weapon alone would only serve to rile them up...

“So what now, eh? Ya want revenge I suppose? Burn a few villages, kill all their soldiers? They will just re-grow, quietly and patiently... like a weed in tha garden...” Thirien muttered on, his gaze still locked on the fire, as if he was reading it like a book. “Ta destroy such a snake, you Cannae just destroy tha body... or head. It must be both lad...” he finished falling quiet, the crackle of the fire continuing, All of them. To end their reign of terror you must destroy them all. If even one survives they will just wait, and start anew. All of them, it must be all.

Seiken stirred from drifting into his own thoughts, having listened to every word the old dwarf spoke with clarity.

“Your wisdom knows no bounds teacher...” murmured the prince sleepily, bowing his head in respect.

“Och, shut ya trap and carve tha dam Boar!" roared Thirien suddenly, his prophetic trance ended. The dwarf snorted then sighed, wrapping his thick black fur hide around him tighter.

Seiken couldn’t help but smile a little, taking his hunting knife from his belt; he stood and kneeled by the Boar.

“Suppose I only get one leg still?” spoke the prince with a grin.

The Dwarf looked at up at him with a glaring eye, the answer came sharply and bluntly “Dam straight ya ninny...”
Krogon Devilstep
Krogon Devilstep

Character sheet
Name: Krogon Devilstep
Title: Blademaster

Back to top Go down

The Lion and the Serpent - Chapter Five: Teacher Empty Re: The Lion and the Serpent - Chapter Five: Teacher

Post by Mazguul Sharpeye Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:36 am

(( Oh! Now this is interesting. A move to a more intimate environment - it's nice to see the Prince has not forgotten where wisdom comes from =)

Wonderful as per usual - you do realise that from now on I will expect only the highest of standards from you and will complain bitterly if they are not met, right? Wink

You also seem to have figured out where to use fullstops xD Sorry, I am merely teasing of course. ))

Mazguul Sharpeye

Back to top Go down