Defias Brotherhood
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The DB Duskwood Lore Project

+11
Gunnell
Nithel
Rmuffn
Feint
John Helsythe Amaltheria
Geldar
Demurral
Braiden
Unknown
Seranita
Valerias
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

The DB Duskwood Lore Project Empty The DB Duskwood Lore Project

Post by Valerias Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:13 pm

There has recently been an upswing in RP in Duskwood, and along with it, a realisation of just how extensive are the number of people with ties to Duskwood. Many characters have their origins there. It's a forest that captures the imagination, with its tragic corruption, its proximity to Deadwind Pass, and the mysterious undead and worgen that stalk among the shadows.

Unfortunately, while many people may have ties to Duskwood, very few of us know each other's stories. So, in conjunction with some interested members of the <of Duskwood> folk and for the promotion of knowledge to anyone else interested in that wild forest, I want to compile our server lore surrounding it. If you have a family, a character, or a legend that you think should be widely known in Darkshire or Duskwood, please share it, and then I'll organise all the information, and it will be awesome.

Example:

Name of Family/Character/Legend

Background
-A history of your character/family/legend, and how it fits into Duskwood.

Common Knowledge
-What's actually commonly known about your character/family/legend?
-Who would know about it? Everyone in the region? Residents of Darkshire? etc.

Additional Information
-Anything else!

Last edited by Aniane/Vale on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet
Name: 'Lady' Vale
Title: courtesan

Back to top Go down

The DB Duskwood Lore Project Empty Re: The DB Duskwood Lore Project

Post by Valerias Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:14 pm

Reserved for organising purposes.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Seranita Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:40 pm

does this involve the newcommers as well?
Seranita
Seranita

Character sheet
Name: Monrena
Title: Trainee Vindicator/engeneer

Back to top Go down

Post by Unknown Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:42 pm

My first bet would be "No" but I've no clue whats In mind about that, since one Of my character's Is soon to live there.
Unknown
Unknown

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:48 pm

Well it seems to me that if your character is new to Duskwood, having moved in from somewhere else, you'll have the chance to establish your reputation and become known through RP, anyway.

If, though, you're saying that your character has actually lived in Duskwood for a long time, or that their family has, or that they have previous connection that people should know about, then go ahead and add whatever information you think people should know. The purpose is twofold. One, to enhance people's knowledge about Duskwood and allow people to share the lore they've created for it. Two, to avoid scenarios like:

'Bob Bobson? Who are you?'
'Oh well actually I've lived in Darkshire for ten years, you should know me!!'

Wink
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by Braiden Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:38 pm

Since when is this thread about worgen? Come on stop derailing shit with half a page full of unrelated stuff all the time (a post or two fine but it seems to be heading for half a page or several pages all the time), it really doesnt add to the topics of the threads and frankly discourages reading the relevant posts since they are hidden in a swarm of derailing. I'm not saying it's just you two, it is a common occurrence at this forum (just like many other forums).

Sorry for derailing this thread further but I felt it had to be said. Now I hope to see some interesting stuff here in this thread.
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet
Name: Braiden Mistmantle
Title: Count ಠ_ರೃ

Back to top Go down

Post by Demurral Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:57 pm

Calen Darkbane

Background
Known to have lived previously in Westfall, Calen was once found unconscious by the Darkshire Watchers and was taken back home unconscious, but was later found a week later, covered in blood and unconscious, and his Westfall home torn to shreds. Having been assumed to have been attacked, he was taken to the cellars of the Darkshire Inn and chained there. When the Darkshire Watch saw that Calen had become a Worgen, they had a debate over what should be done, and settled on using Calen as a guinea pig for testing new poisons, potions and other such items to help the defense of Duskwood, until word was recieved that the Gilnean Worgen had a potion that allowed them to regain their humanity. After much effort, one such potion was procured, and used on Calen, to great effect. In thanks to Darkshire, he has lived with them, helping to defend the town against all threats, until an attack by some mysterious Mercenaries, sent to kill him by his own father, drove him to Stormwind.

Common Knowledge
-Calens mother and father known to have lived in Westfall, but the rest of the family has disappeared, and their home empty.
- Calen known to help protect the village and its peoples in anyway he can, out of gratitude for their help.
- Nearly the entire Darkshire Watch would know of Calen's Curse, and a few townsfolk as well. The majority of the civilians would not know.

- Most people would know about these events throughout Duskwood, though a few secluded hermits scattered about may know next to nothing.

Additional Information
EDIT - oh, to clarify this, i'll do a mini timeline.

3 years ago - Calen was found the first time.
2years, 51weeks ago - Found the second time
2 years, 45 weeks ago - Cure from Gilneas was acquired and used.
2 months ago - a Group of mysterious Mercenaries turned up at the Darkshire Inn, looking for Calen.
1 month, 3 weeks ago - Calen moved from Duskwood to Stormwind.

Last edited by Calen/Flint[Domovoi] on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:22 pm; edited 3 times in total
Demurral
Demurral

Character sheet
Name: Greyclaw
Title: Witch of the Wilds

Back to top Go down

Post by Geldar Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Hi, just passing to point out the obvious that this is thread is about the Duskwood project and nothing else, unrelated/trolling/derailing comments will be removed.

(So keep it about Duskwood!1one)

PS: This looks really promising.

PSS: Melf beat me to cleaning it.
Geldar
Geldar

Character sheet
Name: Geldar Angelos
Title: Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:05 pm

Nordim Crojwin

Background
-A history of your character/family/legend, and how it fits into Duskwood.[

After a certain gnome "vanished" from Darkshire, miss Trelayne (owner of The Scarlet Raven Tavern) needed some new staff. "Croj", as people call him, took the job of becoming miss Trelayne's assistant. Most people tend to give Croj their thumbs up for the quality he tends to provide.

Common Knowledge
-What's actually commonly known about your character/family/legend?

It is well-known that Crojwin is one of the staff members at Darkshire's tavern and an officially registrated citizen of Darkshire. But that's about it, unless you've spoken to him. Some people could actually gossip that he's a bit of a lunatic at times.

It is very well possible that it's known even outside of Duskwood, depending on how people wish to roleplay around it. It should be well-known in Darkshire however.

Additional Information
-Anything else!

There's a rumor going about that Croj knows alot of... rumors. He talks to alot of people after all, and hears them too.
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Feint Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:48 pm

Faral "Feint" Ayrole

Background

After being one of few surviving the third war. "Feint" made his way back to Eastern Kingdoms. His goal was then to find a place to call home, he traveled far and hastily across the Kingdom, and eventually halted at the forest of Duskwood. There was simply something he fancied about the forest, and the town Darkshire. Must have been the perfect combination of a cozy fireplace, howling worgen, roaming undead, regular warm chocolate and muffins. It did not take long for him to register as one "Faral Ayrole". At the moment he comes and goes, but in the end he always returns.

Common Knowledge
- What's actually commonly known about your character/family/legend?
There is not much known about this man. The few friends he has in the forest, is very subtle about the ties. He's the invisible yet observant man, in the corner of the tavern. Even so, the inkeeper's assistant has openly displayed his ties to Feint - even though it's clearly not of Feint's liking. In addition, he might be known as Feint by some, not many know his real name - if any.

Only the most observant and curious residents of Dakrshire should know what little information there is.

Additional Information
Rumors has it that he knows a lot indeed, observant and inquisitive as he is. A wise man is one who have traveled far, knowing the ways of the world after all.
Feint
Feint

Back to top Go down

Post by Rmuffn Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:06 pm

He's quit the game, due to people ganking him oocly, his concept was too great for such an end. But he found that horrid private rp server as a new home.

Doesn't mean he's still not a legend worthy to be remembered.
https://defiasrp.forumotion.net/t205-the-horseman-of-duskwood-songs-and-tales-videos-and-discussions?highlight=Horseman+of+duskwood
Rmuffn
Rmuffn

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nithel Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:41 pm

Not sure this is the place.. but I have some remarks.

I have a double feeling with this idea. I enjoy the idea of Duskwood's annals, however I believe that if you want to be a prominent player in a zone, you just need to be active in that zone. The 'should be known' bumps a bit against my chest. I feeling a bit weird about having to accept the existance of some RPing family/person that I have never seen in the zone if you catch my drift? (This of course implies that I am myself would be very active in that zone.)

Perhaps I'm reading wrongly into the 'should be known' though and you simply mean something the likes of: everything that is posted in here is something that one would be able to find if they looked for it. (For example if one asked around town, searched in annals, etc... )

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:21 pm

Well some people are now heading into duskwood, oocly being fresh, but rping that they've lived in darkshire for yeeeaars.

I think this will prevent alot of awkward situations and I personally think it will be an interesting read too.
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:25 pm

Yeah and we spend so much time offline that there's alot to fill in the story that we don't get to play anyway, and we don't usually RP the more basic parts to our character's life so I think it would help when two people who have stories of living in Darkshire for a few years but never run into each other.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:11 pm

'Well some people are now heading into duskwood, oocly being fresh, but rping that they've lived in darkshire for yeeeaars.'

To be honest, the foundations of the whole RP community project was to build up a new non-judgemental RP environment for the roleplaying community; it would've structured that, roleplayers do not have to adjust themselves to a certain environment (ICly), so expanding their freedom of roleplaying in their own personal matter.

If there is a problem with people RPing, their characters as if they've been there for years... I just don't see the need, in having to try debate and make a controversial topic about it. Roleplay is formed on the terms of, just taking the role of your character INGAME and just relaxing and kicking back. We shouldn't be making people, having to earn their respect and make themselves known through a application form - this should all be found out ingame, otherwise it completely debelitates the essence of true RP.

I'm afraid I must confess, that this 'conjuction' between "Of Duskwood" and this newly founded project wasn't fully discussed and therefore has caused a minor internal disturbance. We would've appreciated it, if all of the officers would've discussed it amongst ourselves; and to be truthfully honest, phrase the meaning of the Duskwood RP Community Project better. Too many people are under the illusion, of it being a guild project by Of Duskwood... Of Duskwood, is a civillian guild that partakes in the community but doesn't have to community evolve around itself - it is vice versa.

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:07 pm

Hrm, seems there's a bit of misunderstanding afoot. For one, I didn't mean to imply an official guild connection with you, since I hardly know any of you Wink Merely that your RPing in Duskwood was the inspiration for this thread, and some people involved your RP project were excited to be able to share their stories in text form.

This 'lore project' is solely my initiative, to aid people in having more knowledge of the Duskwood area as it's RPed on this server. My apologies for that confusion.

Secondly, sharing Duskwood lore is hardly mandatory - and I, for one, would prefer to see the emphasis move away from characters and into family lineages and legends. Ledgic's Caan clan, for example, who are a Duskwood legend, as well as any other long term residents or families (the Mistmantles, as another example) who it's reasonable to assume might be well known.

If people don't want to make use of this information, they don't need to, nor should they feel pressured to add their own! Characters still, of course, need to make themselves known via RP and I can't see this thread attempting to replace that. It's just a voluntary compilation for all of our interest.

Last edited by Aniane/Vale on Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:08 pm

@ Mortima: What I am trying to say is, that if my character lived in Darkshire for several years, and so have yours.. how on earth could they not know a bout eachothers excistance? Especially since My character is working at the tavern, and you're coming by alot. Hence this thread prevents awkward situations imo. I mean nothing more and nothing less with what I posted ^^
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nithel Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:45 pm

What Mortima means I believe is that there shouldn't be a list of things you need to know or rules you need to go by before you can RP in Duskwood. Also Helsythe, Darkshire is lorewise a lot bigger than it is in game. According to Wowpedia it has around 3,500 citizens.

Roleplay is formed on the terms of, just taking the role of your character INGAME and just relaxing and kicking back.
I also completetly follow her point that it eventually comes down to actually going there and RPing. If you want to RP as someone who belongs in Duskwood, simply go out there and act your personage. It takes one conversation for them to get to know you and if you pass by a lot, you can build up your RP around it.

@Aniane; I really don't think it's a bad idea. I kind of like the thought of having a place where stories of Duskwood are bundled along with families. It gives a nice perspective and a good read. But I'd hate to see it turn into a sort of: "You must read this before RPing in Duskwood"-list.

Nithel

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valerias Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:52 pm

I agree, Nithel -nodnod- And I think the likelihood of that happening is slim to none, happily.

Edit: That is, not everyone reads these boards, nor all the threads in them, anyway. I think this compilation'll be more for those wanting some answers than for those just casually RPing and enjoying themselves.
Valerias
Valerias

Character sheet

Back to top Go down

Post by John Helsythe Amaltheria Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:59 pm

According to Wowpedia it has around 3,500 citizens.

O dear.. I knew it was bigger then it is displayed in game but I never expected that it was that big.. say.. I always imagined like.. 350 people?

Actually I think that most roleplayers who are currently roleplaying in Darkshire are keeping it way smaller then a number of 3500. For example.. the nightwatch told me "no crime goes unseen in this small town, remember that" and stuff like that

( or maybe its just that I fail to imagine howmuch 3500 people actually are =D )

Thanks for the heads up though, if wowpedia states 3500 then it's probably something like that.

With that being said, of course you dont need to know the list of server lore before you can come and RP in darkshire ^^ it's just a fun addition ( in my eyes atleast ) and it can be handy as well.. I suppose
John Helsythe Amaltheria
John Helsythe Amaltheria

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Gunnell Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:35 pm

The numbers are taken from the Sourcebooks which are hugely inaccurate and out of date. Apparantly there are the same number of High Elves as there is the population of Stormwind City..

Gunnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Geneviève Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:40 pm

Three and a half thousand. Interesting, I guess.

Bearing in mind my high school had a population of about a thousand people, I knew everyone by sight even if not be name. Small enough that there'd be agreat sense of community and solidarity with each other even if not the small village constable attitude portrayed above. Very Happy

Considering 11th centuary London housed ~15,000 people, Duskwood is hardly a small place, one might surmise that prior to the Three Wars, undead/Worgen infestation it must have been a teeming City.

Then again, I'm trying to extrapolate realistic scale to a world in which we RP traversing continents in an hour so I should probably stop thinking and just get back to enjoying the RP. Razz
Geneviève
Geneviève

Character sheet
Name:
Title:

Back to top Go down

Post by Braiden Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:33 am

As I understood it Grand Hamlet was one of the larger citys in the kingdom before it became Darkshire and Southern Elwynn became the Duskwood. However I find it logical to assume that the population has diminished greatly after the change, many eaten/killed/turned by worgen/undead/whatnot and countless left.

On another note the village were I live is considered small and it has at least one or two thousand people in it (considering the schools in this village alone should have about a thousand students/kids when brought together) so it is all a matter of how you look at it. In the end it is no crime to make Darkshire out to be smaller then it is supposed to be tough as there is limited actual ingame space.
Braiden
Braiden

Character sheet
Name: Braiden Mistmantle
Title: Count ಠ_ರೃ

Back to top Go down

Post by Gahalla Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:36 am

I once ran a simplified population calculation on Stormwind to figure what the population of the nation "should be" (using the 200,000 as a base). The result was that the nation would have a population of 7 million people and be the size of Belarus roughly (assuming high soil fertility). Darkshire itself I calculated that it could have a population of anywhere between 841 and 18,934. In the former case it's little more than a village, in the latter it's a aweinspiring city.
Gahalla
Gahalla

Character sheet
Name: Gahalla rose
Title: Doctor

Back to top Go down

Post by Lavian Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:08 am

Show me the sum of those calculations.
Lavian
Lavian

Character sheet